The packers really blew it selecting Love

NewEra

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya. Team building wise, It could be the right move.  Championship building wise, I think they really screwed up.  Queen was the perfect piece for this Packer defense imo.  Time will tell.  

I am not sure time will tell to be honest, because we can never got back to the draft and give the Packers Patrick Queen or Tee Higgins or Laviska Shenault (I thought Shenault was a great fit there by the way I mocked him there most of the offseason) for that matter. If Love ends up not being the guy there will of course be those who say "see they blew it" but there is no way of proving that any of the guys they could have taken at #26 would have been the difference between going home early in the playoffs or going to the dance. I actually think watching Rodgers in year 2 of this scheme they might well make the dance with the guys they have. He is playing better than last year by a fair distance and some of the other NFC contenders are falling by the wayside.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure time will tell to be honest, because we can never got back to the draft and give the Packers Patrick Queen or Tee Higgins or Laviska Shenault (I thought Shenault was a great fit there by the way I mocked him there most of the offseason) for that matter. If Love ends up not being the guy there will of course be those who say "see they blew it" but there is no way of proving that any of the guys they could have taken at #26 would have been the difference between going home early in the playoffs or going to the dance. I actually think watching Rodgers in year 2 of this scheme they might well make the dance with the guys they have. He is playing better than last year by a fair distance and some of the other NFC contenders are falling by the wayside.

If love busts and the Packers make the nfccg or the super bowl and lose, they made the wrong choice.  No, we’ll never know if they would’ve won with those guys but we DO know that the FO didn’t give it their best shot to win another title with AR while he had enough talent around him to make a run.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/14/2020 at 3:37 PM, NewEra said:

They used their #1 offseason resource to select Aaron Rodgers replacement.  

Zero chance the packers can duplicate last year and has no chance to make the NFCCG.  Last year was a fluke.  I learned that here in April. 

I just watched the game and wow, am I impressed with the throws and decisions he made yesterday.  Albeit against a pair of rookie corners and w/o Danielle Hunter, but he was threading the needle like nobody’s business.  Surely looked like he could compete with Josh and Pat for leagues strongest arm.  Meanwhile, Davis Love the 3rd is the 3rd string qb behind Tim Boyle.  The same Tim Boyle that most of us have never heard of.

I agree that it looks like that now, and personally believe they should have gotten Rodgers another receiver, BUT, all it takes is an Aaron Rodgers injury and a few good games by Love and everyone will say they are geniuses.  And, as you stated above, if they get to move straight into the next franchise QB, after Rodgers, that would be an amazing feat. We've been looking for Kelly's heir apparent for decades...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

If love busts and the Packers make the nfccg or the super bowl and lose, they made the wrong choice.  No, we’ll never know if they would’ve won with those guys but we DO know that the FO didn’t give it their best shot to win another title with AR while he had enough talent around him to make a run.  

See I don't agree with that logic. If they make the NFCCG or the Superbowl with this roster I think it completely vindicates their decision at #26. Because it tells you it was possible to win now and win for the future. I can see the "well they lose the Superbowl by 3 maybe that one guy woulda made the play..." but that is far too much speculation to my mind.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

See I don't agree with that logic. If they make the NFCCG or the Superbowl with this roster I think it completely vindicates their decision at #26. Because it tells you it was possible to win now and win for the future. I can see the "well they lose the Superbowl by 3 maybe that one guy woulda made the play..." but that is far too much speculation to my mind.

Agree to disagree.

it shows me that they didn’t have quite enough to win it and that if they drafted a beast MLB, that surely could’ve been the piece that got them over the hump.  

That’s too much speculation for you, and you’re right, we’ll never know for sure. That’s not how your mind works.  Good for you that you never think “what if”.  That’s not how everyone thinks.  “What if” they lose in the SB by a FG and Clyde makes the MLB miss several times during the game and Kelce takes him to school en route to a huge day.  We’ll never know for sure what would’ve happened, but the fact remains, they don’t have another title.  

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

if they finish 4-12 and love busts they also made the wrong choice..

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea see I agree if they miss the playoffs the next two years and Love busts that is much more likely to prove the point IMO.

When this was originally brought up around the draft several people on the board had said that the packers took love partly because they were lucky to reach the nfccg last year and were beaten so bad that a 1st rd pick isn’t enough to get them back or further.  Basically that they didn’t have a shot to get back to 2019s success.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

When this was originally brought up around the draft several people on the board had said that the packers took love partly because they were lucky to reach the nfccg last year and were beaten so bad that a 1st rd pick isn’t enough to get them back or further.  Basically that they didn’t have a shot to get back to 2019s success.

I do think they were lucky to make the NFCCG but I don't think that means they had no chance to go back certainly to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yes, it’s my prediction that they blew it.  Their LBs are awful. That’s not a prediction, that’s the truth.  Patrick Queen has been playing great ball and would make this defense better.  

Imo, the mistake was made the second they decided to draft for the future instead of giving their all time great QB some help.  They don’t have to hope that AR is an all time great. He IS an all time great.  He IS under contract for the next 4 seasons.  They had the making of a super bowl team because they have this all time great QB, even though some here said they had no chance to get back to the nfccg.  

this is all obviously just my opinion that has been backed up by the fact that the packer draft class has currently added absolutely nothing to their 4-0 start. 

I brought this back up today because I was watching gmfb and they had a segment about it.  They brought up Patrick Queen.  They all agreed with my premise that when you have an all time great like AR that you go all in to win.  Their opinion means nothing, but it got me thinking about this again, hence the bump.

The reason I brought it up is posted above.

Just going to say Mike McCarthy. Team looks completed rejuvenated without him last year and this.

Edited by Real McNasty

11 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

GB is the best team in the league and Rodgers is having the best season of his career 

they also have a defense. last time Aaron had a defense he won the SB. 

imagine if the packers also had Tee Higgins or they had LB Queen, etc.   I think Love was a bad pick.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Just going to say Mike McCarthy. Team looks completed rejuvenated without him last year and this.

Yeah. After what we’re seeing in dallas, McCarthy might not ever be an nfl HC again 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Always take the QB.

I know some people are pretty slow on the uptake about this..........but if you aren't drafting a QB with that pick...... then a first round pick is the most overrated means of acquiring talent.

It's basically a lottery ticket and yet some teams still select positions like LB and RB and OG and such trying plug holes and win their $1 back........even forgetting the time value of said spent dollar........ instead of going for the jackpot. 

But hey you can't say "this team is wasting (insert all-pro guard)'s career" if you have a top quarterback.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Always take the QB.

I know some people are pretty slow on the uptake about this..........but if you aren't drafting a QB with that pick...... then a first round pick is the most overrated means of acquiring talent.

It's basically a lottery ticket and yet some teams still select positions like LB and RB and OG and such trying plug holes and win their $1 back........even forgetting the time value of said spent dollar........ instead of going for the jackpot. 

But hey you can't say "this team is wasting (insert all-pro guard)'s career" if you have a top quarterback.

I get the logic. And I would stand by that logic in this situation.... IF the packers didn’t have Aaron Rodger.  Aaron Rodgers is the WINNING lottery ticket.  They WON when they drafted Aaron Rodgers with that ticket.  Imo, they’ve failed after having won the lottery. Yeah, they got their title. One title.  When you hit a lottery like aaron Rodgers, you expect that you’re going to win at least one super bowl.  Joe Flacco has one super bowl.  Nick Foles has one too. We can go on.  It’s a long list.  Nothing sets them apart.  Winning lottery ticket, Aaron rodgers has that same one super bowl.  I feel they should have more.  

I‘m all for drafting a qb if your QB is Kirk cousins, stafford, Jimmy g, cam, Baker, etc.....pretty much any QB that isn’t considered one of the best of all time still playing at a high level and under contract for 4 years.  The Packers should make it their mission to win another SB with AR.  They didn’t do that.  They did about the furthest thing from that in the draft.  Every draft pick is buried on the depth chart.  None of which are helping.  I don’t think any FO would set out to accomplish that feat.  

When you have the winning lottery ticket in your hand, you should appreciate him.  He changed your franchise.  He gave you a SB based on how great he was.  Now pay it back and do your best to give him the best chance to win another so he can separate himself from brad johnson, Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer in the hall of champions