Trubisky wins the job in Chi-town (update- lost the job)

YoloinOhio

It’s probably the right decision.

Foles was lightning in a bottle.

Trubisky has yet to show either lightning or a bottle to hold it in but he was a big investment and you just never know if it will click at some point. I remember thinking Alex Smith sucked with the 49ers.

• Like (+1) 3

No big surprise, iirc Foles has never been what one would call a consistent performing QB, that said you can bet your arse that Mitch is on a short leash. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

No big surprise, iirc Foles has never been what one would call a consistent performing QB, that said you can bet your arse that Mitch is on a short leash. 

Yeah I give it 3 games. But foles has now been beaten out by Gardner Minshew and mitchy biscuits since winning the SB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We could theoretically be literally in the same position as the Bears next year, with Foles competing for the starting job.

I really don't think so, JA is underrated because the things he does well aren't in line with the established narrative of him. The biggest legit knock is his deep passing accuracy, but basically every game starting with I think the eagles game through the end of the year had 30 mph+ winds and that is not being taken into account nearly enough.

Edited by HardyBoy

The Bears made the right decision going with Trubisky.  Foles had a nice early part of his career with the Eagles, then had a magical half-season and Super Bowl run.  Outside of that, he's been pretty terrible for many years on multiple teams.  He's an experienced veteran backup, but has little upside.  Trubisky wasn't very good last year, but still has some upside and the Bears have to give him one more chance to see what they have before his rookie contract expires, at which point they pay him or cut him loose.

For those who are comparing him to Allen, I would say the situation is similar (highly drafted QB with upside, but has shown flashes of bad play, rookie contract will come up and decision will need to be made), but the players are not.  In my opinion, Allen has a lot more upside.  He has "generational" arm talent and other superior physical skills.  It's a rarity for a guy with his size to be as athletic as he is.  Plus, he has all the intangibles - hard worker, good teammate, etc.  If he puts it all together, he could be great.  If Trubisky puts it all together, he'll be a good starting QB in the league, but he doesn't have the ceiling to be great.

11 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

We could theoretically be literally in the same position as the Bears next year, with Foles competing for the starting job.

I really don't think so, JA is underrated because the things he does well aren't in line with the established narrative of him. The biggest legit knock is his deep passing accuracy, but basically every game starting with I think the eagles game through the end of the year had 30 mph+ winds and that is not being taken into account nearly enough.

Nah foles is a good story but that’s about it. I don’t know what Allen’s story will be but I don’t see foles continuing.  I think he will retire soon. Friend of his from the Rams (James laurinaitis) does a radio show here locally and said he has been dying to retire for years and the SB threw a wrench in things lol 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nah foles is a good story but that’s about it. I don’t know what Allen’s story will be but I don’t see foles continuing.  I think he will retire soon. Friend of his from the Rams (James laurinaitis) does a radio show here locally and said he has been dying to retire for years and the SB threw a wrench in things lol 

I mean that was part of the Cinderella story with Foles that he was planning to retire but ended up getting convinced to backup Wentz and we know the rest.

32 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Yeah, Foles will be backup here with no competition...

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I heard a report today that Miami has been contacted about trading Rosen.  Chicago was the first team that I thought about.  Their QB situation has to be one of the worst in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

The Bears made the right decision going with Trubisky.  Foles had a nice early part of his career with the Eagles, then had a magical half-season and Super Bowl run.  Outside of that, he's been pretty terrible for many years on multiple teams.  He's an experienced veteran backup, but has little upside.  Trubisky wasn't very good last year, but still has some upside and the Bears have to give him one more chance to see what they have before his rookie contract expires, at which point they pay him or cut him loose.

For those who are comparing him to Allen, I would say the situation is similar (highly drafted QB with upside, but has shown flashes of bad play, rookie contract will come up and decision will need to be made), but the players are not.  In my opinion, Allen has a lot more upside.  He has "generational" arm talent and other superior physical skills.  It's a rarity for a guy with his size to be as athletic as he is.  Plus, he has all the intangibles - hard worker, good teammate, etc.  If he puts it all together, he could be great.  If Trubisky puts it all together, he'll be a good starting QB in the league, but he doesn't have the ceiling to be great.

Great analysis.  Josh Allen is a tremendous athlete.  His upside is off the charts.  If he can put it together we are going to have one hell of a ride over the next few years.  Trubisky is decent at times.  But usually regresses back to mediocrity and below.  And I think Allen is a better leader.  More fired up.  Motivates his teammates well.  Don't get that vibe from Trubisky.  I think his teammates don't think he is the guy.  I think Josh's teammates love playing w him.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I just think Foles is kind of like Fitzpatrick can be lights out can be horrible bad. Don't know who you getting sometimes.

No, you pretty much know with Foles. Outside a couple brief flashes, he has generally sucked. 

Edited by jeremy2020