Sals 53 man roster prediction

BillsMafi$

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK, guess I didn't realize it was all guaranteed.  Obviously I haven't seen him play, but reading articles; BN, Athletic, etc, all have Winters also being cut. So kind of surprised then and assume it wasn't guaranteed, unless cutting him is still the lesser of the dead cap than others on the line?

I know.  Beane is a wizard but if Winters is cut it is a good sized miss.  If he is not worth keeping I guess you got to cut him for a better

player taking the slot.

Replying to another point in this thread, I just don't see another team opening a slot for Fromm.

I don't think this is the year to cut a QB you invested a 5th round draft pick in.  All reports are he hasn't looked good.....but this isn't the offseason to move on from a player to soon.  A very limited offseason, and 0 preseason games, coupled with what many say is a very difficult offense to grasp is a very fair shake for a rookie QB.

This team has a lot of big extension coming in the next 1-2 years and if they can develop Fromm into a serviceable backup QB they'd have that postion covered on the cheap for 4 years. Which is a great value.

I've also noticed a bit of a crusade for Fromm to be cut among some of the WNY media due to his texts that came out after the draft. But didn't Allen have a similar blemish pop up on draft day?  In the end I don't think that'll play a factor on whether they keep him or not.  

Cutting him now would be waaaay premature and him clearing waivers is slim IMO

Nothing surprising in this appraisal by Sal. There will likely be a small number of differences in the official roster, with the post cut down IR players and those who fill their spots till they come off IR.

Go Bills!!!

19 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Taiwan Jones making this roster is 🤮

Lee Smith still in a Bills uniform is atrocious. 

Let's get with 2020 and cut Pat DiMarco too. 

Those three guys add ZERO ability to our team. 

I keep hearing DiMarco is only kept for special teams and Jones is another ST guy. Lee Smith is indefensible, he is a specializing in a role he isn't very good at. Trade for Njoku and solidify the position with 3 young tight ends. 

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You can't PUP someone. They have to come into camp on PUP. They can IR him, but if they want him back this year they can only do that AFTER cutdowns. If they do it before he is done for the year.

I stand corrected, I think they hold onto him as the 9th oline player then and just make him inactive but then again maybe they do go 10 deep like Sal says. 

35 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I know.  Beane is a wizard but if Winters is cut it is a good sized miss.  If he is not worth keeping I guess you got to cut him for a better

player taking the slot.

Replying to another point in this thread, I just don't see another team opening a slot for Fromm.

A month ago, I'd have said they won't cut Fronm, now from everything you hear, would not shock me if he's cut and could pass through waivers.

17 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I keep hearing DiMarco is only kept for special teams and Jones is another ST guy. Lee Smith is indefensible, he is a specializing in a role he isn't very good at. Trade for Njoku and solidify the position with 3 young tight ends. 

I stand corrected, I think they hold onto him as the 9th oline player then and just make him inactive but then again maybe they do go 10 deep like Sal says. 

Yeah, I’m sick of hearing about Special Teams.

Dick Jauron talked about it, Marrone talked about it, Sean McDermott is obsessed with it.

Bottom line is this team needs points, and has needed more scoring ability forever.

Keeping garbage 4th string running backs, a tight end below the NFL minimum physical traits for the position, and an expensive subpar Fullback who does nothing at the expense of another WR and/or CB is terrible decision making. 

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

I'd rather keep Hodgins at WR than McKenzie.  I like McK for his speed and gadget plays...but Hodgins has got red zone size...something we don't have much of on this team.

Keep a 7th WR instead of T. Jones.

Last year we kept three running backs and Yeldon was inactive virtually every Sunday.

So I don’t understand how keeping a 4th RB this season will help this team.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Dick Jauron talked about it, Marrone talked about it, Sean McDermott is obsessed with it.

Bottom line is this team needs points, and has needed more scoring ability forever.

Keeping garbage 4th string running backs, a tight end below the NFL minimum physical traits for the position, and an expensive subpar Fullback who does nothing at the expense of another WR and/or CB is terrible decision making. 

My point is a talented team does not keep 3 of these type of guys.  It's time McDermott moves on from at least one of these players.

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Keep a 7th WR instead of T. Jones.

Last year we kept three running backs and Yeldon was inactive virtually every Sunday.

Couldn't agree more... In this case, I'm talking about Boehm. Boehm helps this team more than the speedy Robert Foster or physical, emotionally charged Duke Williams? More than another rotational pass rusher? 10 OL and only 4 1/2 cornerbacks? Makes literally no sense.

24 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Couldn't agree more... In this case, I'm talking about Boehm. Boehm helps this team more than the speedy Robert Foster or physical, emotionally charged Duke Williams? More than another rotational pass rusher? 10 OL and only 4 1/2 cornerbacks? Makes literally no sense.

The Bills got away with only keeping 4 cornerbacks on the opening roster last year, but I agree, banking on the same health this season is not smart.

Especially if you find out halfway through the first game that Josh Norman has indeed lost a step or two.  

28 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

My point is a talented team does not keep 3 of these type of guys.  It's time McDermott moves on from at least one of these players.

Yes, I'm sick of seeing guys like Joe Webb, Joe Klepfenstein, Mike Tolbert, Kaelin Clay, Lee Smith, Ryan Neufeld kept around because they "block" or "they can play special teams" or they can return kicks or punts. They are borderline/fringe NFL players. We don't have time for those type of players anymore. 

Keep another DE to rotate in, a corner, or a wide receiver in their places. 

I totally agree with you, McDermott has to evolve. This team needs points.  

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yes, I'm sick of seeing guys like Joe Webb, Joe Klepfenstein, Mike Tolbert, Kaelin Clay, Lee Smith, Ryan Neufeld kept around because they "block" or "they can play special teams" or they can return kicks or punts. They are borderline/fringe NFL players. We don't have time for those type of players anymore. 

Keep another DE to rotate in, a corner, or a wide receiver in their places. 

I totally agree with you, McDermott has to evolve. This team needs points.  

We're all going to find out in a few hours.  Beane and McDermott (along with input from all the positional coaches) have been talking

about nothing else for days now.  It's going to be interesting.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I am all for trading for Njoku but it would be instead of Kroft not Smith. 

Fans hate full backs, tight ends and back end of the roster guys who are kept because they can play teams as well as backup. It happens every year. 

What also happens is people say "good teams don't keep guys to play special teams!!!"

Well the team who has won more Superbowls than anyone in the last 20 years always keeps people specifically to play teams. 

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Taiwan Jones making this roster is 🤮

Lee Smith still in a Bills uniform is atrocious. 

Let's get with 2020 and cut Pat DiMarco too. 

Those three guys add ZERO ability to our team. 

I mean...

I would argue that the value a team gets out of its core special teams players is greater than the value they get out of, say, a 7th WR or 10th o-linemen who will rarely suit up for game day.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

IF he stays healthy.  Jones's last 2 season with the Bills he only last 8 and 6 games before going to IR.

He was already "injured" in camp and is not getting any younger.

just saying.

For sure. He has to be healthy. 

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

I mean...

I would argue that the value a team gets out of its core special teams players is greater than the value they get out of, say, a 7th WR or 10th o-linemen who will rarely suit up for game day.

Just my opinion.

Your opinion is correct. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Keep inactive RB#3 from getting lonely? 🤔

"Hey, Four!  Pass me the pretzels!"