Will Beane make a trade before cuts?

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Backup MLB is still a mess and backup OLB is an unknown. Third TE is still unsettled. Honestly those are the only positions that I think are up for grabs. I don't like the backup QB situation but they aren't going to make a change there.

Ideally they make a move to get a veteran MLB and the other 52 are already in camp.

TE is fairly set....

Knox, Kroft,   Sweeney   and either Smith or Croom.  

They really love Sweeney and are not going to give up on him unless they get good trade value.   Sweeney has limited athletic ability unlike Knox, but is a football player. 

10 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Cut down is right around the corner and if Beane is going to try to trade a player (or two) it will be in the next few days.

The only position I can see that the Bills might want some more depth might be CB.  (Just signed Brian Allen)!

There definitely are going to be some players cut that won't make it to our PS.  Will Beane get a pick or two?

Maybe a team needing a WR or DL help would do a trade?  If so, what players do you think Beane could try to make available?

Gonna swindle the Panthers out of McCaffrey for Taiwan Jones and Isaiah McKenzie

Buffalo has an overabundance of depth at the interior of the offensive line, particularly if Ford plays mostly at guard, which it appears he might do with Darryl Williams impressing on the outside.  How much depth depends on how long the Bills think it will take for Jon Feliciano to heal from his pectoral tear.  Defensive line is another possibility but there may be less trade capital for Beane to part with there.  Trent Murphy might be an expendable veteran, but his contract may make him less attractive.  I don't think the Bills are inclined to get rid of Mario Addison or their other offseason acquisitions, and a lot of the other depth consists of younger, unproven players who will command little or nothing on the trade market.

10 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Cut down is right around the corner and if Beane is going to try to trade a player (or two) it will be in the next few days.

The only position I can see that the Bills might want some more depth might be CB.  (Just signed Brian Allen)!

There definitely are going to be some players cut that won't make it to our PS.  Will Beane get a pick or two?

Maybe a team needing a WR or DL help would do a trade?  If so, what players do you think Beane could try to make available?

Having had that amazing second half of his UDFA rookie season, Robert Foster might have some trade value for a team looking for a high ceiling WR who showed great potential only to experience a sophomore slump.

10 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Agree. Why not reach out to Philly and offer a guard for a pick? They just lost Dillard (and will likely move Peters back to LT). I think I read somewhere they were lacking depth there. For someone we’d like to keep, but can’t make it work, why not spin him for a pick? 

You mean like Long?  That shop unfortunately sailed, and was hoping if we did move on, we had a trade.  I’m guessing he was shopped , and no one bought.

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Tough one though....

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, 

Davis, Roberts

1 spot down Hodgins, Mckenzie, Williams, Foster 

Of the last Bree as I’m betting they want Hodgins on the freezer for the future so no PS, they’ve already made up their minds on McKenzie, Williams, and Foster.  I know Williams is a fan favorite, but you get a little more speed and comparable size not exactly, but close enough with Hodgins.  He’s cheap, and has some potential.

19 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

You mean like Long?  That shop unfortunately sailed, and was hoping if we did move on, we had a trade.  I’m guessing he was shopped , and no one bought.

Yeah, could be right. Beane likely knew something was up with Long if I had to guess. I was thinking maybe flipping them someone like Winters or Boehm. I’d say Ike, but I doubt anyone gives up anything for him. Feliciano is apparently out of his sling which likely indicates progress. A combination of whichever one of those two they don’t flip and Ryan Bates can hold the fort at backup guard until Mongo gets back. Plus we still have Ford and Daryl Williams, and it sounds like either of those guys are comfortable playing guard too. Fortunately, we’re fairly deep on the oline. Not saying a trade will happen, but we have options if we can find takers. 

15 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I struggle to see who they’d be able to move for any real value.

Maybe if some team wanted to take a flyer on Duke they could get a conditional 7th.

Other than that I’m stumped.

I might be way off but if any of the bottom of the roster receivers has a late round value I reckon it is Foster. Speed and actually did okay last year as a gunner at times. 

The only other guy with any value (and the contract makes it hard) is Trent. I know you would keep him Bandit and I think the Bills probably will but I'd be trying to move him. 

I think overall it will be harder this year partly because teams normally convince themselves their guys are good enough until they see them play in pre season games and then you realise that 6th round rookie you took who looked great in camp is not ready for prime time and start working the phones. Beane has been great at taking advantage of that in the past. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I might be way off but if any of the bottom of the roster receivers has a late round value I reckon it is Foster. Speed and actually did okay last year as a gunner at times. 

The only other guy with any value (and the contract makes it hard) is Trent. I know you would keep him Bandit and I think the Bills probably will but I'd be trying to move him. 

I think overall it will be harder this year partly because teams normally convince themselves their guys are good enough until they see them play in pre season games and then you realise that 6th round rookie you took who looked great in camp is not ready for prime time and start working the phones. Beane has been great at taking advantage of that in the past. 

Good call re Foster

And I’m certain that Murphy would have value—veterans that play high snap counts are going to be popular this year given the lack of time rookies have to acclimate...and that’s a big reason to keep him. With Star opting out, AJE and QJ will definitely need to pick up some of the interior snaps, and this team loves to have four EDGE rushers to rotate.

Now maybe they’ll use Edmunds there more often, which would be easier to justify with Klein on the roster to play Mike in nickel sets, and in that case the case for moving Murphy is stronger. But I’m reluctant to give up any kind of defensive depth in such an uncertain situation.