Darron Lee workout

15 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That's because LB's are built now the way safety's used to be built.  Whatever happened to being physical at the point of attack.  My god can't a LB weigh at least close to 240 pounds anymore?  You get an O lineman on any LB now and they are pretty much finished.  All these supposed LB's do is run.  But they can't tackle or stand their ground.  Sure its a passing league but guys weigning 220-225 at LB is just not what football was about.  Remember the Giants LB's back in the day of Pepper Johnson, Carl Banks, Harry Carson and LT.  Those were LB's.  Heck we had Keith Newman Sam Rogers Sam Cowart and John Holacek.  All 4 could bang.  Now we have Matt Milano and Tremaine Edmunds.  Yes they are athletic.  But when was the last time either of them just knocked the snot out of a RB sending him backwards??  I just had to rant.  I want some physicality w my football..  Dam it!!

Tackling is not just a factor of size - Winfield used to be the best tackler on the team because of technique.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Tackling is not just a factor of size - Winfield used to be the best tackler on the team because of technique.

I still never forgot the one game where a tight end caught a pass, went to turn up field and Winfield just laid him out with a perfect form tackle in his gut just as he turned around. Just destroyed him...been looking for that clip on Youtube and haven't been able to find it.  I mean still not as great as Nate Clements hit on Tom Brady, which might be my favorite hit of all time, but it was pretty awesome.

https://youtu.be/M4OTH0pddv4

Edited by matter2003

5 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I do agree about Winfield.  He was a great tackler.  In fact, I was watching a condensed replay of the Michigan-Ohio State Game from 97 or 99 on the Big Ten network.  That was back when we used to beat the Buckeyes with regularity.  And Winfield was a tackling machine for Ohio State in that game as well.  (Even though the A Train did do some damage)

21 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That's because LB's are built now the way safety's used to be built.  Whatever happened to being physical at the point of attack.  My god can't a LB weigh at least close to 240 pounds anymore?  You get an O lineman on any LB now and they are pretty much finished.  All these supposed LB's do is run.  But they can't tackle or stand their ground.  Sure its a passing league but guys weigning 220-225 at LB is just not what football was about.  Remember the Giants LB's back in the day of Pepper Johnson, Carl Banks, Harry Carson and LT.  Those were LB's.  Heck we had Keith Newman Sam Rogers Sam Cowart and John Holacek.  All 4 could bang.  Now we have Matt Milano and Tremaine Edmunds.  Yes they are athletic.  But when was the last time either of them just knocked the snot out of a RB sending him backwards??  I just had to rant.  I want some physicality w my football..  Dam it!!

Those giants linebackers would never see the field now except for goal line, 3rd and short, or 4th and short. Far too slow to keep up with the players today. As soon as the coach and QB see those guys in the field they make sure those guys at matched up on the slot or a RB 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Those giants linebackers would never see the field now except for goal line, 3rd and short, or 4th and short. Far too slow to keep up with the players today. As soon as the coach and QB see those guys in the field they make sure those guys at matched up on the slot or a RB 

LT would still see the field in any situation my friend.  He is one of the all time greatest defensive players ever!!  Pass rush, setting the edge against the run, and even dropping back in coverage.  He could do it all.  And he was an insane crazy man on the field.  Him and Parcells would get into it some times.  Two very intense men.  As for the other guys, you are probably right.  Carson Banks and Johnson were great LB's of a different era.  But Carson was really a tremendous player and leader on that team.  Class guy also.  And don't forget Gary Reasons.  He had some game at LB as well.  That Giant defense in 1986 was amazing.  Maybe not quite the 1985 Bears D.  But great nonetheless.  

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

LT would still see the field in any situation my friend.  He is one of the all time greatest defensive players ever!!  Pass rush, setting the edge against the run, and even dropping back in coverage.  He could do it all.  And he was an insane crazy man on the field.  Him and Parcells would get into it some times.  Two very intense men.  As for the other guys, you are probably right.  Carson Banks and Johnson were great LB's of a different era.  But Carson was really a tremendous player and leader on that team.  Class guy also.  And don't forget Gary Reasons.  He had some game at LB as well.  That Giant defense in 1986 was amazing.  Maybe not quite the 1985 Bears D.  But great nonetheless.  

LT could play in any system and in any era. But he was primarily a pass rusher not a coverage linebacker. You can still be a big brute of a man if you wanna rush the passer, though you need more twitch than a lot of contemporaries had... but if you wanna be an off the ball linebacker... you are going to need to run, turn and cover. The game is less about size and more about speed.

On 8/26/2020 at 2:45 PM, GunnerBill said:

LT could play in any system and in any era. But he was primarily a pass rusher not a coverage linebacker. You can still be a big brute of a man if you wanna rush the passer, though you need more twitch than a lot of contemporaries had... but if you wanna be an off the ball linebacker... you are going to need to run, turn and cover. The game is less about size and more about speed.

Yes the game has changed since the LT era.  But I remember a big pick 6 he had against the Lions in the Silverdome (there is an iconic place-especially since Led Zeppelin played there on their 1977 tour-footage from that show is always on some Rock and Roll historical documentary and they had the 1982 Super Bowl there.  A great game between Cinci and San Fran.  And there was a huge snow storm in Detroit that weekend.  It looked so cold and wintry there) that he took almost 100 yards.  

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...