Brian Daboll interview 8/14

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hot seat year for this dude...

I'd say it's probably his last year here. Either he does good in which case the Bills do very well and he gets picked up as HC for another team, or he doesn't get it together and the Bills look to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

I'd say it's probably his last year here. Either he does good in which case the Bills do very well and he gets picked up as HC for another team, or he doesn't get it together and the Bills look to move on.

He’s been a dud at every stop as OC.  He has no excuses this year.

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes it went from piss poor to pedestrian.... yes or no?

it improved, that’s the point. It should improve again this year. Starting over with a new coordinator makes no sense right now. 

19 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Houston Playoff game ..   The Bills were on the 42 yard line and in FG range indoors

Instead of Trying the attempt .... 

4th and 27 call a pass play?. 

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/1/4/21050009/texans-bills-playoff-win-explained-josh-allen-deshaun-watson

So lack of execution is on the OC? So the choice to pass instead of kick is on the OC? So with 4th and 2 on the 42 you want to kick a long FG? 

Edited by fansince88

2 hours ago, eball said:

If McD had fired Daboll after last season pretty much nobody in NFL circles would have said “I understand that move.”

Unless they watched the Texans game...

Edited by Mr. WEO

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Unless they watched the Texans game...

True.  I mean, the way Daboll dropped that TD pass, the way he didn't get his feet in bounds, the way he missed a block to spring Allen -- those were all terrible play calls.  Let's look at one sequence in a game and crucify the playcaller.

• Like (+1) 4

58 minutes ago, eball said:

True.  I mean, the way Daboll dropped that TD pass, the way he didn't get his feet in bounds, the way he missed a block to spring Allen -- those were all terrible play calls.  Let's look at one sequence in a game and crucify the playcaller.

Don't forget about that horrible penalty he called on Cody Ford for his bump of block that fell way short of the "forcible" threshold that the rule requires.  

The poor LB drops on 3rd and 17 plus the failure to even attempt to wrap up Watson by two unblocked defenders on the game deciding play were bad Daboll calls as well.

Actually though, it's a good thing so many players can say they screwed up in that game.  They all can share in the collective blame and still have confidence in their coaching leadership.  Humbled by failure on a big stage and hungry to be coached to improve is a good way to start the 2020 season.

Daboll has done a pretty good job so far but I hope he can adjust 2 things this season.

1.  Stick with things that are working until the opposing D proves they can stop it.

2.  Don't be afraid to abandon plays that are consistently be stopped by the opposing D.

I know it sounds simple but sometimes I think these coordinators can't see the forest for the trees.

2 hours ago, eball said:

It was the last 1 1/2 Quaters in the most important game in his career where he couldn’t protect a 3 score shutout lead. 

if you think that if the Bills has the same offensive output with this years roster or the same wildcard result, Daboll keeps  his job then you have no confidence in the intelligence of Beane and McD

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

if you think that if the Bills has the same offensive output with this years roster or the same wildcard result, Daboll keeps  his job then you have no confidence in the intelligence of Beane and McD

Why in the world would I expect the same results this year?

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So you agree that if its not a better outcome, he is gone.  We agree then.

I really don’t know who you’re arguing with.  I’ve said pretty consistently I expect the offense to improve this season.

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

So you agree that if its not a better outcome, he is gone.  We agree then.

For sure. The window for Daboll to still be here in 2021 is pretty small. If Allen takes another significant step and the Bills have a top 10/12 offense he is likely gone to a team with a young QB that they drafted this year or will draft next year as Head Coach. If the Bills remain worse than about 18th best offense in the league or Josh plateaus / regresses then the Bills will fire him and move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, eball said:

I really don’t know who you’re arguing with.  I’ve said pretty consistently I expect the offense to improve this season.

And if it's not?  Simple question.

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

For sure. The window for Daboll to still be here in 2021 is pretty small. If Allen takes another significant step and the Bills have a top 10/12 offense he is likely gone to a team with a young QB that they drafted this year or will draft next year as Head Coach. If the Bills remain worse than about 18th best offense in the league or Josh plateaus / regresses then the Bills will fire him and move on. 

If the Bills are top 10 Offense, he stays.  No one is going to make this guy a HC for that.

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If the Bills are top 10 Offense, he stays.  No one is going to make this guy a HC for that.

I disagree. He got HC interviews last year. People around the league who didn't like Josh Allen coming out (and there were plenty of them) are giving Daboll a lot of the credit. If we are a top 10 offense the only thing that stops him getting a job is if we make the superbowl. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Really? Nobody? They were below average offensively. Again, raise your standards eball.?

Nobody might be exaggeration. Very few however is accurate. The league view is Daboll has done a good job with Allen. 

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Mike Pettine says hi

LOL the Browns didn't even want Daboll---and they hired Chudzinski, Mangini, Pettine, Jackson...and Freddie Kitchens!!

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. He got HC interviews last year. People around the league who didn't like Josh Allen coming out (and there were plenty of them) are giving Daboll a lot of the credit. If we are a top 10 offense the only thing that stops him getting a job is if we make the superbowl. 

Nobody might be exaggeration. Very few however is accurate. The league view is Daboll has done a good job with Allen. 

See above.  The most desperate team years running turned him down.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

LOL the Browns didn't even want Daboll---and they hired Chudzinski, Mangini, Pettine, Jackson...and Freddie Kitchens!!

My only point is that it is not uncommon for guys, who are well respected in the league, but dont have stellar resumes, to get hired as head coaches. Mike Pettine, Anthony Lynn, etc. Daboll, as much as may not seem like it, is very well respected in the league.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

See above.  The most desperate team years running turned him down.

Think what you like. I guarantee we are a top 10 O he is gone.

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

My only point is that it is not uncommon for guys, who are well respected in the league, but dont have stellar resumes, to get hired as head coaches. Mike Pettine, Anthony Lynn, etc. Daboll, as much as may not seem like it, is very well respected in the league.

Why did he keep getting fired  as OC?

Think what you like. I guarantee we are a top 10 O he is gone.

OK

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why did he keep getting fired  as OC?

OK

Im pretty sure every OC gig he lost was part of a house cleaning. The team fired every coach and brought in a new staff. Its not often that coordinators are kept in those situations. It doesnt really prove your point.

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

JA improves and the offense is top 10, Dabol is a head coach next year. Anyone who thinks otherwise just isn’t paying attention. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Im pretty sure every OC gig he lost was part of a house cleaning. The team fired every coach and brought in a new staff. Its not often that coordinators are kept in those situations. It doesnt really prove your point.

I also posted the offenses he presided over earlier in the offseason. 

The 2020 Bills will be the first time he has had an offense with enough talent to be top half of the league. The 2019 Bills were the most talented offense he had ever coached. Let that sink in. 

The 2020 Bills will be the first time he has had an offense with enough talent to be top half of the league. The 2019 Bills were the most talented offense he had ever coached. Let that sink in. 

Its a weird habit we, as fans, have of failing to see context. Should we just completely ignore the players Dabol is coaching when evaluating his work? That seems crazy to me.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Warcodered said:

So he’s either HC material or he’s fired? Binary much?

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Mangini thought it was a great idea to bring him on in Cleveland.  For both years their Offense was simply awful.  That helped  Mangini get fired.

In his 4th year as Miami HC, Sporano hired Daboll after 2 7-9 seasons.  The immediately lost 7 games, which got Sporano fired midseason.

In KC, after Crennel replaced Haley as HC the previous season (7-9),  he brought in Daboll.  The team went 2-14 and the Offense was dead last in points.

In 4 straight seasons, he was OC for 3 different teams that finished 29,31,20 and 32 in scoring.  It would be 6 more years before this coach killer would be offered another OC job. 

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

OC's with good players do better than with bad players.  OK.

Was the Bills 2016 roster (top 10 in scoring) that much better than 2019?  One RB over 600 yards.  Watkins was out half the season, Woods had 13 games. Charles Clay had the most targets. No receiver over 650 yards.  Tyrod Taylor at QB.  Yet Lynn made more of what he had.

15 minutes ago, MDH said:

So he’s either HC material or he’s fired? Binary much?

All of the Browns HC's say hello...

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

OC's with good players do better than with bad players.  OK.

Was the Bills 2016 roster (top 10 in scoring) that much better than 2019?  One RB over 600 yards.  Watkins was out half the season, Woods had 13 games. Charles Clay had the most targets. No receiver over 650 yards.  Tyrod Taylor at QB.  Yet Lynn made more of what he had.

Yes. Talent wise it was. 

This talk about Daboll being subpar directly relates to Allen. You can’t have a consistent offense without consistent QB play and Allen did not deliver that last year. He improved greatly, GREATLY, and I’m optimistic that, given how raw he was coming out of college, he’ll make another jump this year. I expect Allen to be a top 10-15 passer this year given how Daboll handled him.

Im not saying Daboll was perfect or even great, and a lot of criticism above is accurate. The persistence of putting Gore on the field during important sequences was maddening. But given the talent level on offense two years ago and a QB who is the model of inconsistency I thought Daboll did a pretty f’n good job last year.

His use of McKenzie on fake jet sweeps was a fantastic way of holding one edge to protect a slow, jukey, Singeltary from getting his cutback lane filled by a LB which helped Singeltary thrive. I love Singletary but I think some of his success was schemed and that goes directly to Daboll knowing how to use his players.

I also love how Daboll didn’t coddle Allen by making everything easy for him with half field reads or other gimmicky trends that hide a QBs inexperience. They bit the bullet the past two years and made Allen learn to read the D and properly go through his progressions. And he struggled plenty because of it, but that’s how you get better. They taught the kid how to play QB and while it didn’t pay dividends last year I think it  will moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes. Talent wise it was. 

For the Offense that was on the field, not the trainer's room, I'm not sure about that.  It's hair splitting.  

From 2012 until the Bills hired him,  it's not clear that the rest of the league looked at his body of work and concluded he was just unlucky with the rosters he had. 

90% of the fans want a new offensive coordinator. When you study the Bills offense play calling and design are far down the list of problems. The biggest flaw I saw was personnel usage, which should improve with added depth and experience on offense.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Mangini thought it was a great idea to bring him on in Cleveland.  For both years their Offense was simply awful.  That helped  Mangini get fired.

In his 4th year as Miami HC, Sporano hired Daboll after 2 7-9 seasons.  The immediately lost 7 games, which got Sporano fired midseason.

In KC, after Crennel replaced Haley as HC the previous season (7-9),  he brought in Daboll.  The team went 2-14 and the Offense was dead last in points.

In 4 straight seasons, he was OC for 3 different teams that finished 29,31,20 and 32 in scoring.  It would be 6 more years before this coach killer would be offered another OC job. 

A ton of words to say, “yes, you are correct.”