Would you be cool if the Bills traded Tre White for a big trade package like the Jets got for Adams?

Estro

This thread made it to 7 pages?  Shocker.  

Tre will100% be resigned and stay with the bills.  And the Gilmore comparisons as reasoning was not an accurate comparison.  At no point did Gilmore play at the level he is currently playing at in NE.  He was seen as a pretty good talent, not the best CB in football when McD got here.  Most importantly, one of the first things McD and then Beane wanted to do was clean up the cap situation, and signing a CB at that time to a contract that was above his performance was not the way to do that, especially on a team about to go into a full rebuild.  

17 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This thread made it to 7 pages?  Shocker.  

Tre will100% be resigned and stay with the bills.  And the Gilmore comparisons as reasoning was not an accurate comparison.  At no point did Gilmore play at the level he is currently playing at in NE.  He was seen as a pretty good talent, not the best CB in football when McD got here.  Most importantly, one of the first things McD and then Beane wanted to do was clean up the cap situation, and signing a CB at that time to a contract that was above his performance was not the way to do that, especially on a team about to go into a full rebuild.  

I was Gilmore's biggest supporter for years and I honestly thought he was vastly underrated and an All-Pro talent

He played more cover 0 and cover 1 coverage in Buffalo than any other corner in the NFL. He was asked to execute the hardest coverages and was still very very good

He just gets away with more in NE where In buffalo he was called for the weak stuff

I always knew the guy had all pro talent and was elite. Tre just plays in a way more friendly scheme

Edited by Buffalo716

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I was Gilmore's biggest supporter for years and I honestly thought he was vastly underrated and an All-Pro talent

He played more cover 0 and cover 1 coverage in Buffalo than any other corner in the NFL. He was asked to execute the hardest coverages and was still very very good

He just gets away with more in NE where In buffalo he was called for the weak stuff

I always knew the guy had all pro talent and was elite. Tre just plays in a way more friendly scheme

Not saying his talent wasn't there, I am saying his play on the field was not at the level it is now, nor at the level at the contract he was seeking.  

But the more important factor was still that you don't spend a butt load of money on a CB when you are about to fully gut the team and rebuild while also clearing out cap space.

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not saying his talent wasn't there, I am saying his play on the field was not at the level it is now, nor at the level at the contract he was seeking.  

But the more important factor was still that you don't spend a butt load of money on a CB when you are about to fully gut the team and rebuild while also clearing out cap space.

I absolutely thought he was worth every dollar belichick paid him. On the bbmb i was very vocal that Gilmore was our best player and deserves the payday. 

Rebuilding a team is one thing, but he was absolutely filthy

Gilmore all pro in 2018 with the Patriots while giving up five touchdowns. 

His last season here he had 5 picks and only gave up two touchdowns  , while being locked down all year. He deserved to all pro, and was easily one of the top three cornerbacks in the world

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I absolutely thought he was worth every dollar belichick paid him. On the bbmb i was very vocal that Gilmore was our best player and deserves the payday

Gilmore all pro in 2018 with the Patriots while giving up five touchdowns. 

His last season here he had 5 picks and only gave up one touchdown  , while being locked down all year. He deserved to all pro, and was easily one of the top three cornerbacks in the world

Again, you are missing the point about a new regime coming in to do a complete rebuild and gut the cap issues.  You dont pay big money to a CB IMO when you need to rebuild the whole franchise.

And while I agree he was always talented, and I liked him, I still think it was the right move.  And honestly, it proved to be the right move as we have had a top end corner in his spot since he left for pennies on the dollar. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, you are missing the point about a new regime coming in to do a complete rebuild and gut the cap issues.  You dont pay big money to a CB IMO when you need to rebuild the whole franchise.

And while I agree he was always talented, and I liked him, I still think it was the right move.  And honestly, it proved to be the right move as we have had a top end corner in his spot since he left for pennies on the dollar. 

If you want to say we didn't pay him because we were rebuilding, and going in a different direction that's one thing

But it certainly was not a talent thing

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

If you want to say we didn't pay him because we were rebuilding, and going in a different direction that's one thing

But it certainly was not a talent thing

I never said it was a talent thing.  I said his play then was not at the same level it is now in NE.  He is widely considered the best CB in the NFL right now, and not one person outside his parents would have called him the best DB in the NFL during his time with the Bills is all I was saying.

But my overall point was you just dont spend big on a DB just before you tear it all down and clear out the cap in a full rebuild. 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I never said it was a talent thing.  I said his play then was not at the same level it is now in NE.  He is widely considered the best CB in the NFL right now, and not one person outside his parents would have called him the best DB in the NFL during his time with the Bills is all I was saying.

But my overall point was you just dont spend big on a DB just before you tear it all down and clear out the cap in a full rebuild. 

I never said you said it was a talent thing. There's tons of people who thought Gilmore was a bum here because he didn't smile on draft day

And I thought he was one of the best two or three cornerbacks in the world lol 

Edited by Buffalo716

47 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Yes, without thinking twice...bring on the multiple 1st rounders plus some...

Imo, players NEVER live up to their extension contracts unless they’re super bowl QBs!

That’s the other element to it. Two first round picks, a third, a player, and a ton of extra cap space. 

Non-QBs are often overvalued. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I never said you said it was a talent thing. There's tons of people who thought Gilmore was a bum here because he didn't smile on draft day

I wasn't in that crowd, I liked Gilmore and would have preferred to have kept him, but at the same time, it didnt make sense given the plans of the FO.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I wasn't in that crowd, I liked Gilmore and would have preferred to have kept him, but at the same time, it didnt make sense given the plans of the FO.  

In hindsight, it wasn't a bad idea, given that we were able to trade back and get Tre which has eased the pain of losing Gilmore

You have to also realize that 15 years of ineptitude, really had me questioning if our new regime was right. and at that time I probably would have just rather had Gilmore

But now I absolutely trust the regime and they absolutely have had a plan

• Like (+1) 1

No. TW is way better than every other CB on the team  and CB is arguably the next important position after QB. DE is a very close 3rd, but I can see why some might switch these last 2 positions. I believe the performance of the defense would drop significantly. Unless someone is offering a couple 1st round pick, I wouldn't even consider it.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was.I wanted to keep him too, but he wanted to play for a winning team -- something he never did here.

11 hours ago, Estro said:

Its always stuck with me that one of McDermotts first decisions with the Bills was to let Stephon Gilmorexwalk in FA.  As far as I understand the Bills didn't even extend an offer to Gilmore, and then they used their 1st tound pick that yr to srlect White.  I always thought that McDermott might be a coach who doesn't like to overpay at the CB position as his defenses seem yo perform well without having lock down CB's.

It would definitely hurt to lose a player of Whites caliber short term, but what if the Bills could return a bounty like the Jets got for Adams.  IMO, White is a more valuable player than Adams so I don't think a similar trade package is crazy.

Like I said White is a great player, but hes also going to command about $20M a yr. soon.......and I just don't think its good business to spend that type of money on any 1 player, outside of a good QB.  Id much rather have the $20M in cap space plus two 1st rounders, plus an avg. starting CB if a trade were to go down.

I have a feeling it won't be well received on this forum, but I think it'd be a smart move.  I think the Bills would still have a really good roster and with the extra cap space (by not signing White) and the extra draft capital (two 1st round picks) would be a lot more valuable than just 1 CB in Tre White.

I agree that if he wants too much that getting picks would be the wiser move,  i believe you pay the big money in pass rushers.  A great pass rusher and pass rush will always make DB'S look better .  I love White's game but not at 20 million plus,  i believe 17-18 million tops or see if you can get two picks.  

Nope.

No one wins a championship without some high priced talent on the roster.  This team needs to be built around Allen, Diggs, Edmunds, Oliver and Tre.   Pay those men and construct a solid OL and this is a franchise to be reckoned with.

FO made smart decisions to not overpay for guys like Lawson and Phillips but the other side of that is knowing when to pull the trigger on the big contracts.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Estro said:

Its always stuck with me that one of McDermotts first decisions with the Bills was to let Stephon Gilmorexwalk in FA.  As far as I understand the Bills didn't even extend an offer to Gilmore, and then they used their 1st tound pick that yr to srlect White.  I always thought that McDermott might be a coach who doesn't like to overpay at the CB position as his defenses seem yo perform well without having lock down CB's.

It would definitely hurt to lose a player of Whites caliber short term, but what if the Bills could return a bounty like the Jets got for Adams.  IMO, White is a more valuable player than Adams so I don't think a similar trade package is crazy.

Like I said White is a great player, but hes also going to command about $20M a yr. soon.......and I just don't think its good business to spend that type of money on any 1 player, outside of a good QB.  Id much rather have the $20M in cap space plus two 1st rounders, plus an avg. starting CB if a trade were to go down.

I have a feeling it won't be well received on this forum, but I think it'd be a smart move.  I think the Bills would still have a really good roster and with the extra cap space (by not signing White) and the extra draft capital (two 1st round picks) would be a lot more valuable than just 1 CB in Tre White.

tenor.gif

The only reason to trade White is if they need a franchise QB because Allen became a bust. And since this regime passed on Mahommes, I would not trust them to evalaute or develop another rookie QB. 

All that said, every player including all but a very few elite QBs have a price and if a team overpays you have to listen.

• Like (+1) 1