Would you be cool if the Bills traded Tre White for a big trade package like the Jets got for Adams?

Estro

50 minutes ago, Mc1320 said:

Stefon Gilmore quit on this team and did not want to be here.  Not sure how much of that can be attributed to that fat gasbag Rex, but you do not want a disgruntled high profile player on your roster similar to how the Adams scenario played out.

He doesn’t seem disgruntled, at all, with the Bills. Quite the opposite. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Estro said:

Its always stuck with me that one of McDermotts first decisions with the Bills was to let Stephon Gilmorexwalk in FA.  As far as I understand the Bills didn't even extend an offer to Gilmore, and then they used their 1st tound pick that yr to srlect White.  I always thought that McDermott might be a coach who doesn't like to overpay at the CB position as his defenses seem yo perform well without having lock down CB's.

It would definitely hurt to lose a player of Whites caliber short term, but what if the Bills could return a bounty like the Jets got for Adams.  IMO, White is a more valuable player than Adams so I don't think a similar trade package is crazy.

Like I said White is a great player, but hes also going to command about $20M a yr. soon.......and I just don't think its good business to spend that type of money on any 1 player, outside of a good QB.  Id much rather have the $20M in cap space plus two 1st rounders, plus an avg. starting CB if a trade were to go down.

I have a feeling it won't be well received on this forum, but I think it'd be a smart move.  I think the Bills would still have a really good roster and with the extra cap space (by not signing White) and the extra draft capital (two 1st round picks) would be a lot more valuable than just 1 CB in Tre White.

How do you know McD doesnt want to pay CBs?  Gilmore.....  I think that was more of a system and personality cut than anything, additionally first year new HC probably knew he had time, hence the same year Gilmore walked White was drafted, and by far a better fit in the Zone Heavy system of McD than Gilmore was (and I like Gilmore he is an elite CB).

1 hour ago, Mc1320 said:

Stefon Gilmore quit on this team and did not want to be here.  Not sure how much of that can be attributed to that fat gasbag Rex, but you do not want a disgruntled high profile player on your roster similar to how the Adams scenario played out.

I am not sure that Gilmore quit on the Bills...and I never hated the guy...but I never felt he was as good as Tre'Davious has already shown himself to be.  Granted, White plays on an overall more talented team, but I honestly remember Gilmore have more bad moments than good, in a Bills uniform.

Tre isn’t just a great player, he’s a great fit in this system.  Whatever draft picks you would get wouldn’t be expected to be impact players for years even in a best case scenario.  By then, if the rest of the plan goes well, (ie. Josh turns into a franchise QB), whatever money was saved not paying Tre will have been soaked up retaining players who are currently on cheap contracts.  

The Jets did the right thing in moving Adams because they aren’t in their Super Bowl window.  They aren’t in a Super Bowl window because of years of incompetent management.  Their new GM seems poised to end that cycle.

Buffalo appears to have ended a similar cycle.  They’ve executed their plan, and it’s time to see if it works.  You don’t spend years building a roster, trading for picks in order to move up for a QB, and developing that QB only to ship off your best player who is a 25 year old star at a premium position and a solid guy off the field.  

Now is the time to acquire as much talent as possible.  That’s going to involve spending a lot of money and draft capital.  I can promise you that nobody in Kansas City would trade the Lombardi trophy for draft picks or cap space (which is mostly a myth anyway).

I would definitely rather keep him than trade him for an Adams-type package.

The Adams-type package was a great return for the Jets though, and if we absolutely had to trade Tre for some reason, I would be happy if that were the return.

But again, just get the deal done to keep him here and continue building this thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Estro said:

Its always stuck with me that one of McDermotts first decisions with the Bills was to let Stephon Gilmorexwalk in FA.  As far as I understand the Bills didn't even extend an offer to Gilmore, and then they used their 1st tound pick that yr to srlect White.  I always thought that McDermott might be a coach who doesn't like to overpay at the CB position as his defenses seem yo perform well without having lock down CB's.

It would definitely hurt to lose a player of Whites caliber short term, but what if the Bills could return a bounty like the Jets got for Adams.  IMO, White is a more valuable player than Adams so I don't think a similar trade package is crazy.

Like I said White is a great player, but hes also going to command about $20M a yr. soon.......and I just don't think its good business to spend that type of money on any 1 player, outside of a good QB.  Id much rather have the $20M in cap space plus two 1st rounders, plus an avg. starting CB if a trade were to go down.

I have a feeling it won't be well received on this forum, but I think it'd be a smart move.  I think the Bills would still have a really good roster and with the extra cap space (by not signing White) and the extra draft capital (two 1st round picks) would be a lot more valuable than just 1 CB in Tre White.

Depends on the offer

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

No, unless it was for like five first-round picks.

I'm more like 10 Riot.  This is the exact position this organization took for all of those 17 years of a nightmare where we traded away players and our draft picks were crap thereafter.  Remember Clements, Winfield, Lynch, J. Peters, and I can keep going.  We develop a Star, and we blow it because we think we are so smart meaning the previous moronic administrations for 17 long and dreadful years Watching us lose.

Estro were you around when we had Knox as coach and we went after a dreadful 70’s and wasted OJ, to win the AFCE, amd then came out of the same thinking when Polian was given the nod and we held onto our stars not only in the SB years, but after free agency started in 93, we kept the gang together and went to the playoffs again in the late 90’s.  Had we kept Flutie at the helm, we should have beaten the Titans with the #1 defense, and maybe could have been playing the Rams for the SB.  

This is exactly the thinking that kept us in the desert for over a decade and a half.  A ProBowl CB who is on the ascension you don’t blow.  He’ll, he’s our best and not even close player on the team, and one of the best in the league.  You don’t blow that.  The argument on the Pats letting Chandler Jones go, you forgot they still had Brady, Gronk, Edelman in his prime, a good O Line, and a heck of a defense.  It’s not even close.  Estro, I know you’re just floating and maybe you’re not as old as some of us, maybe you are, but this es exactly what placed us in a mess.  Besides, we won’t ina million years even if he does opt out even remotely consider this option.

Its like “hey we should go after Rodger”, or someone that would Never be released.  Ok I’m done.  I thought you were just floating, but you’re sticking to it so Hell no.

• Like (+1) 1

The Adam's trade is no where near the same situation and shouldn't be considered something you can put in the same context.

On one hand you have Tre who is one of the best CBs in the league, playing in a system he is amazing in. Currently under a rookie contract - with our salary being managed by someone that can look more than 1 year into the future. We have a coach that the players love, a new but growing winning culture. Tre likes his coaches, the system, and his teammates. Yes he is looking to get paid, but isn't making that the forefront of his conversations.

On the other hand you have Adam's who is an excellent safety, one of the better ones in the league, but it's unclear on if he is as good as everyone makes him out to be. Not to mention the belief that his value lays in being  a "box" safety. He was on a losing team, that has a coach that many players are not on board with, with a front office that continues to show incompetency similar to what we were used to. He was disgruntled, and verbal about it. If he was a player in a smaller market, I doubt he'd be valued as highly. I'm clearly in the group that thinks he was over valued in the trade, and he is probably not worth a record breaking contract.

The point i'm trying to make is, he's good - but he's no Minkah Fitzpatrick - who I think is not only better currently, but will actually continue to improve.

The only wrench to the whole thing regarding paying Tre is the idea that the cap might be much lower next year (Due to Covid-19). However, I imagine a lot of teams will look at the Mahomes deal, and use large extension deals with money loaded to appropriate years to help offset any issues.  

• Like (+1) 1

one thought I had after listening to Tre mention the family issue- being  that he is from La a trade to the NO Saints with a twist

trade him for one this year only to the Saints for a 2nd round pick and then after the season but before the start of the NFL season 2021 his rights revert back to the Bills

Bills get a pick and cap room, Tre plays and comes back to the Bills, not gonna happen but I wonder why not...flame on beotches....

46 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's probably obvious. What self-righteous response do you have queued up?

Easy there.  I'm curious whether the OP came up with the idea of trading Tre as a "smart football decision" or if it was retaliatory.

Other than the timing of the post, I can't tell.  Can you?

No judgements here, just curious.