Massive explosion rocks Beirut

BillsFan4

This was one hell of an explosion.  

I believe it registered a 3.3 on the Richter scale---not joking.

That's gotta be roughly equivalent to some sort of very low yield thermonuclear explosion.

I was down the street from a gas line explosion a year or two ago that leveled an entire building.  I can't even imagine what it was like for anyone within a visible distance of this explosion.  Those videos are downright chilling.

• Like (+1) 1

Image of the storage area from before the explosion, and an explanation from Reddit

"The bigger problem is storing it all in one pile, not having enough ventilation or water, and leaving it to sit in a humid atmosphere for long periods of time (so the individual grains can turn into a concrete-like explosive block).

Explosives need three things to explode: heat, pressure and some way to keep it all together until the reaction is completed, called confinement. To keep AN safe, you need ventilation and water sprinklers (for heat), standoff distance between bags (for pressure) and not letting it clump (for confinement). Looks like none of these were done."

fJGQYKneg1g2dTVbqhdolbfxgtmJNrZjBXbGHo6Q

9 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Good lord....its been there for 6 years.  Somebody has some explaining to do.

According to what I read earlier, a ship carrying it was flagged in the area and forced to dock in that port. The owner of the ship ended up abandoning it along with the owner of the shipment. It stayed on the ship along with 6 crew members who were forced to stay there until it was resolved. They warned about it being a danger and the materials were moved to a warehouse. The crew was still forced to stay with the ship and were eventually told that since it was abandoned they would be responsible to sell it off which they couldn't do because their ship had the communications devices removed. They were dealing with lawyers to try and get the off to go back game but said there was alot of corruption with the company and lawyers.

If true, sounds like a messed up situation that is going to have some huge consequences, or should if they can do it without any corruption.....

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

According to what I read earlier, a ship carrying it was flagged in the area and forced to dock in that port. The owner of the ship ended up abandoning it along with the owner of the shipment. It stayed on the ship along with 6 crew members who were forced to stay there until it was resolved. They warned about it being a danger and the materials were moved to a warehouse. The crew was still forced to stay with the ship and were eventually told that since it was abandoned they would be responsible to sell it off which they couldn't do because their ship had the communications devices removed. They were dealing with lawyers to try and get the off to go back game but said there was alot of corruption with the company and lawyers.

If true, sounds like a messed up situation that is going to have some huge consequences, or should if they can do it without any corruption.....

The crew sounds like it got screwed on that deal. I'm not up to snuff on the laws of freighting,  but it seems like the crew should be the last people involved with the disposition of 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate. 

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

The crew sounds like it got screwed on that deal. I'm not up to snuff on the laws of freighting,  but it seems like the crew should be the last people involved with the disposition of 2700 tons of ammonium nitrate. 

True

From my understanding reading the article, since the shipping companies owner basically abandoned the ship instead of going through whatever trouble they were in that caused them to get docked there, and then the company that was to receive the shipment also abandoned it, they said the crew is responsible for it since they were the ones actually moving it and Lebanon was detaining the members of the crew until things were resolved. Seems like alot of shadyness going on if thats true

It seems weird, doesn't appear to be getting much coverage around here though that you assume a massive explosion like that would get.....

9 hours ago, driddles said:

Image of the storage area from before the explosion, and an explanation from Reddit

"The bigger problem is storing it all in one pile, not having enough ventilation or water, and leaving it to sit in a humid atmosphere for long periods of time (so the individual grains can turn into a concrete-like explosive block).

Explosives need three things to explode: heat, pressure and some way to keep it all together until the reaction is completed, called confinement. To keep AN safe, you need ventilation and water sprinklers (for heat), standoff distance between bags (for pressure) and not letting it clump (for confinement). Looks like none of these were done."

I hope this three dudes weren't there when this thing went off.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Typical bureaucracy.  No one wanted to take responsibility for it.

Welp, looks like theyre gonna have to now.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/lebanon-government-resigned-today-beirut-explosion-news-a9663301.html

Beirut explosion: Entire Lebanese government to resign within hours over deadly blast, minister say

The entire Lebanese cabinet is set to resign over last week’s devastating blast at Beirut port which killed hundreds of people and injured thousands more.

On 8/5/2020 at 6:16 PM, driddles said:

Thats ******* crazy!! Wtf?!