Massive explosion rocks Beirut

BillsFan4

From Reuters - 

JUST IN: Lebanon's internal security chief tells reporters the blast was in a port area with highly explosive material, not explosives

Hmm - I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but wouldn't highly explosive material be considered "explosives"?

Edited by BuffaloBud
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

From Reuters - 

JUST IN: Lebanon's internal security chief tells reporters the blast was in a port area with highly explosive material, not explosives

Hmm - I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but wouldn't highly explosive material be considered "explosives"?

Might be to differentiate between weapons and fireworks/industrial chemicals etc

3 hours ago, BuffaloBud said:

From Reuters - 

I think that's to differentiate between industrial chemicals that can explode, but you're hoping they don't get around to it before you use them...vs things whose use in the world is to explode

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Warehouse stored the explosives for year’s 

Accident or Sabotage. 

I pray it was a stupid, sloppy accident, and I pray for all those affected. 

My wife’s family is trying to market the family residence (mom passed a while back, tricky international rules) and some adjacent commercial property outside the city. We follow the area obviously and she grew up spending her summers there.  That area has suffered enough. A stupid accident would be awful enough, intentionally evil would be hard to handle. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Augie said:

That area has suffered enough. A stupid accident would be awful enough, intentionally evil would be hard to handle. 

Yeah this is my takeaway too. There are entire generations over there that don’t know what peace and stability is, and that’s sad for any populous no matter the geography.

I’m Lebanese on my mom’s side, hope your wife knows all the family recipes! My gram pushing 90 still makes killer grape leaves, taboulleh & kibbeh for holidays. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Yeah this is my takeaway too. There are entire generations over there that don’t know what peace and stability is, and that’s sad for any populous no matter the geography.

I’m Lebanese on my mom’s side, hope your wife knows all the family recipes! My gram pushing 90 still makes killer grape leaves, taboulleh & kibbeh for holidays. 

She is 100%, but her dad was (barely) born in the states. I’ll never forget my first Thanksgiving with her family while we were engaged. Out comes one dish after another, after another, after another......and I keep asking “what’s that?” It’s THANKSGIVING!  Finally a turkey that had been cooked about a day too long showed up at the end. An eye opener for sure! 

She’s got all the recipes, but it’s very labor intensive. She’ll do it on special occasions and invite our close friends. Atlanta has a great Lebanese shop/restaurant (Leon International) between us and her brother in Greenville, SC. She orders ahead and picks up a feast on her way to visit. They are ALL about the food! 

She has a bunch of cousins here who meet every weekend at a Lebanese joint. Friends and family, maybe 20 people on average when I’ve been there. Pretty cool, takes a good part of the day as it just keeps coming. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1