Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

9 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

I'll repeat:

As a parent, the last thing I want to do is listen to a bunch of old, cranky, cynical ***** tell them what's "safe" for my kids. The are other topics more appropo for your demographic.

Oh I see. So we are excluded from the conversation?  Our ideas are to be ignored?  So what if your school’s superintendent or board member didn’t have children?  Would you pull your kids from the school? 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Not the children, MY children.

Someone else paid that burden when you went to school, whether you went to public school or not. Now you're paying it back.

Horseshit, it doesn’t work that way.  Because people stole from my parents doesn’t somehow forward justify the theft of my labor.

My money, taken at the barrel of a gun, pays for your kids to go to school.

This makes me a stake holder.

Don’t like it?  Then stop making me an interested party through forced investment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, BillsFanNC said:

I do. So does my wife, a pediatrician.

I do...3 but I don't have to worry about it much since my wife (a former teacher) homeschools my kids.  Best decision we ever made for our kids.

And those who worry about the social aspect, don't bother...they are actively involved in sports, church functions and other clubs to keep them around their friends (obviously before COVID)

• Like (+1) 5

15 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I’m real proud of you. You go man.  You worked multiple times this summer. Hope you’ve not over exerted yourself.  ?

School opens in a few weeks you damn well better be there getting this figured out. 

So I’m an idiot?  Pardon me for coming up with ideas. What a whiner you are. I guess it’s from hanging around with children.  

Take it easy on the man, Jim. He worked 7 whole hours.

Edited by Koko78
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

Take it easy on the man, Jim. He worked 7 whole hours.

Seven hours in a row? Damn. Talk about sacrifice. He deserves a Purple Heart. I would say monument, but they are not lasting very long these days.

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, KRC said:

Seven hours in a row? Damn. Talk about sacrifice. He deserves a Purple Heart. I would say monument, but they are not lasting very long these days.

Well it's not the fact that he worked 7 hours it's the fact that he did so voluntarily and didn't get paid.  How noble of him!  I've never taken it upon myself to work outside of my daily work hours to plan and prepare for my clients.  And yes we both have clients.  His are children mine act like them.  :D 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well it's not the fact that he worked 7 hours it's the fact that he did so voluntarily and didn't get paid.  How noble of him!  I've never taken it upon myself to work outside of my daily work hours to plan and prepare for my clients.  And yes we both have clients.  His are children mine act like them.  :D 

Maybe Trump will give him a Congressional Medal of Honor.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

I'll repeat:

As a parent, the last thing I want to do is listen to a bunch of old, cranky, cynical ***** tell them what's "safe" for my kids. The are other topics more appropo for your demographic.

It's not about you and your kids, it's about the collective.  My children are grown and out of school btw, and are independent thinkers.  I'd always warn them about folks like you are about labels and shaming people for having an opinion.  #suffragebro

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

15 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Annnnnnnnnd @Chef Jim realizes one of 2 things:

1) He's lost an argument 

2) He's been discovered trolling 

I'm going to assume the best of him and believe it's #1. :thumbsup:

So because I work more than 7 hours a week and don't have time to read your whining diatribes I've either lost or am trolling.  Nah I'm busy working this summer and the past four months.  

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So because I work more than 7 hours a week and don't have time to read your whining diatribes I've either lost or am trolling.  Nah I'm busy working this summer and the past four months.  

But

he

does

space

his

thoughts

out

appropriately.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

But

he

does

space

his

thoughts

out

appropriately.

Which make them extremely easy to reply to.  

Besides @transplantbillsfan  you had nothing to offer other than whining and no discussions.  You wanted to hear nothing of any of my ideas and dismissed every one of them so no need to continue.  You'll all figure it out sometime.  Hopefully before little Billy hits 21.  

And it's funny you said I lost the argument.  I wasn't arguing.  You were. 

Edited by Chef Jim

10 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

As a parent, the last thing I want to do is listen to a bunch of old, cranky, cynical ***** tell them what's "safe" for my kids. The are other topics more appropo for your demographic.

Is there any data that shows that children are at risk from this thing?  Seems like everything you read and hear is that they are not at risk at all and don't even contribute heavily to its spread. 

27 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Is there any data that shows that children are at risk from this thing?  Seems like everything you read and hear is that they are not at risk at all and don't even contribute heavily to its spread. 

It's the old, obese, diabetic teachers everyone is worried about.  Hell with the kids. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

It's the old, obese, diabetic teachers everyone is worried about.  Hell with the kids. 

For sure there are some at risk, so protect them and let the rest go about their business. 

Edited by keepthefaith

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Besides @transplantbillsfan  you had nothing to offer other than whining and no discussions.  You wanted to hear nothing of any of my ideas and dismissed every one of them so no need to continue.  You'll all figure it out sometime.  Hopefully before little Billy hits 21.  

That is all he ever does. You can't engage him in a normal discussion. When he isn't having a childlike meltdown, he is being arrogant and condescending.

21 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Yeah, I have one in high school and one in middle school. I'm undecided on this, but I'd prefer they err on the side of caution. I'd also like for this to not be politicized like masks and various drugs, but it seems like we're too late for that. The sensationalism is amplified by the fact that this is occurring in an election year.

My personal take is, I think, if you don't have any skin in the game, stay out of the debate. The states, teachers and parents should decide if and when.

Why not let the math and logic decide it vs the politics? Because then people can't hide from the fact that in all likelihood more students will die from suicide during a lockdown then will die from Covid if we open up and use common sense. The states that are staying shut are more interested in stopping Trump then educating their kids. The death rate of Covid in those under 25 is literally less than the suicide rate and it is not close. Please stop with health concern for students because you are either promoting your ignorance or promoting your politics over logical beliefs.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2020/06/23/coronavirus-covid-deaths-us-age-race-14863

Shows 150 under 25 died of Covid while the under 25 average over 6000 suicides. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

But not so busy you've been able to follow along up until now in this 15 page thread and insert several of your own whining diatribes.

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Which make them extremely easy to reply to.  

No. You misunderstand. I read every single one of your ideas. Most of them I asked you questions rather than outright dismissing them. Heck I think you had some good ideas actually. I just followed up with questions like, for one, how do you pay for it?

Believe me, I'm okay and will be doing my part in the classroom and through distance learning to help my students. As someone who clearly cares immensely about children without having any of his own and without being in a profession that even interacts with them, I think you should get involved a bit more.

Bring your good ideas to your local school board, for starters. :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1