Massacre in Tulsa, OK

Most White Americans don't know anything about this event in 1921, or found out about it from an HBO show last year.

Learning more about your country's history will help you to better understand the events of today. @Chef Jim this may be of interest to you in particular. 

Please note the "News Blackout" portion especially.

https://www.history.com/topics/roaring-twenties/tulsa-race-massacre

During the Tulsa Race Massacre (also known as the Tulsa Race Riot), which occurred over 18 hours on May 31-June 1, 1921, a white mob attacked residents, homes and businesses in the predominantly black Greenwood neighborhood of Tulsa, Oklahoma. The event remains one of the worst incidents of racial violence in U.S. history, and one of the least-known: News reports were largely squelched, despite the fact that hundreds of people were killed and thousands left homeless.

Black Wall Street

In much of the country, the years following World War I saw a spike in racial tensions, including the resurgence of the white supremacist group the Ku Klux Klan, numerous lynchings and other acts of racially motivated violence, as well as efforts by African Americans to prevent such attacks on their communities.

By 1921, fueled by oil money, Tulsa was a growing, prosperous city with a population of more than 100,000 people. But crime rates were high, and vigilante justice of all kinds wasn’t uncommon.

Tulsa was also a highly segregated city: Most of the city’s 10,000 black residents lived in a neighborhood called Greenwood, which included a thriving business district sometimes referred to as the Black Wall Street.

READ MORE: Tulsa's 'Black Wall Street' Flourished as a Self-Contained Hub in the Early 1900s

Tulsa-Riot-loc14742u

What Caused the Tulsa Race Massacre?

On May 30, 1921, a young black teenager named Dick Rowland entered an elevator at the Drexel Building, an office building on South Main Street. At some point after that, the young white elevator operator, Sarah Page, screamed; Rowland fled the scene. The police were called, and the next morning they arrested Rowland.

By that time, rumors of what supposedly happened on that elevator had circulated through the city’s white community. A front-page story in the Tulsa Tribune that afternoon reported that police had arrested Rowland for sexually assaulting Page.

As evening fell, an angry white mob was gathering outside the courthouse, demanding the sheriff hand over Rowland. Sheriff Willard McCullough refused, and his men barricaded the top floor to protect the black teenager.

Around 9 p.m., a group of about 25 armed black men—including many World War I veterans—went to the courthouse to offer help guarding Rowland. After the sheriff turned them away, some of the white mob tried unsuccessfully to break into the National Guard armory nearby.

With rumors still flying of a possible lynching, a group of around 75 armed black men returned to the courthouse shortly after 10 pm, where they were met by some 1,500 white men, some of whom also carried weapons.

Greenwood Burns

After shots were fired and chaos broke out, the outnumbered group of black men retreated to Greenwood.

Over the next several hours, groups of white Tulsans—some of whom were deputized and given weapons by city officials—committed numerous acts of violence against black people, including shooting an unarmed man in a movie theater.

The false belief that a large-scale insurrection among black Tulsans was underway, including reinforcements from nearby towns and cities with large African-American populations, fueled the growing hysteria.

As dawn broke on June 1, thousands of white citizens poured into the Greenwood District, looting and burning homes and businesses over an area of 35 city blocks. Firefighters who arrived to help put out fires later testified that rioters had threatened them with guns and forced them to leave.

According to a later Red Cross estimate, some 1,256 houses were burned; 215 others were looted but not torched. Two newspapers, a school, a library, a hospital, churches, hotels, stores and many other black-owned businesses were among the buildings destroyed or damaged by fire.

By the time the National Guard arrived and declared martial law shortly before noon, the riot had effectively ended. Though guardsmen helped put out fires, they also imprisoned many black Tulsans, and by June 2 some 6,000 people were under armed guard at the local fairgrounds.

Aftermath of the Tulsa Race Massacre

In the hours after the Tulsa Race Massacre, all charges against Dick Rowland were dropped. The police concluded that Rowland had most likely stumbled into Page, or stepped on her foot. Kept safely under guard in the jail during the riot, he left Tulsa the next morning and reportedly never returned.

The “official” tally of deaths in the massacre was 36 people killed, including 10 white people. Even by that estimate—which historians now consider much too low—the Tulsa Race Massacre stood as one of the deadliest riots in U.S. history, behind only the New York Draft Riots of 1863, which killed at least 119 people.

In the years to come, as black Tulsans worked to rebuild their ruined homes and businesses, segregation in the city only increased, and Oklahoma’s newly established branch of the KKK grew in strength.

News Blackout

For decades, there were no public ceremonies, memorials for the dead or any efforts to commemorate the events of May 31-June 1, 1921. Instead, there was a deliberate effort to cover them up.

The Tulsa Tribune removed the front-page story of May 31 that sparked the chaos from its bound volumes, and scholars later discovered that police and state militia archives about the riot were missing as well. As a result, until recently the Tulsa Race Massacre was rarely mentioned in history books, taught in schools or even talked about.

Scholars began to delve deeper into the story of the riot in the 1970s, after its 50th anniversary had passed. In 1996, on the riot’s 75th anniversary, a service was held at the Mount Zion Baptist Church, which rioters had burned to the ground, and a memorial was placed in front of Greenwood Cultural Center.

Tulsa Race Riot Commission Established, Renamed

The following year, after an official state government commission was created to investigate the Tulsa Race Riot, scientists and historians began looking into long-ago stories, including numerous victims buried in unmarked graves.

In 2001, the report of the Race Riot Commission concluded that between 100 and 300 people were killed and more than 8,000 people made homeless over those 18 hours in 1921.

A bill in the Oklahoma State Senate requiring that all Oklahoma high schools teach the Tulsa Race Riot failed to pass in 2012, with its opponents claiming schools were already teaching their students about the riot.

According to the State Department of Education, it has required the topic in Oklahoma history classes since 2000 and U.S. history classes since 2004, and the incident has been included in Oklahoma history books since 2009.

In November 2018, the 1921 Race Riot Commission was officially renamed the 1921 Race Massacre Commission.

“Although the dialogue about the reasons and effects of the terms riot vs. massacre are very important and encouraged," said Oklahoma State Senator Kevin Matthews, "the feelings and interpretation of those who experienced this devastation as well as current area residents and historical scholars have led us to more appropriately change the name to the 1921 Race Massacre Commission.”

The news article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_massacre#/media/File:Nab_Negro_for_Attacking_Girl_in_an_Elevator.png

Edited by GregPersons
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GregPersons said:

Most White Americans don't know anything about this event in 1921, or found out about it from an HBO show last year.

Learning more about your country's history will help you to better understand the events of today. @Chef Jim this may be of interest to you in particular. 

Please note the "News Blackout" portion especially.

https://www.history.com/topics/roaring-twenties/tulsa-race-massacre

The news article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_massacre#/media/File:Nab_Negro_for_Attacking_Girl_in_an_Elevator.png

What is your solution to black on black violence?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Reality Check said:

What is your solution to black on black violence?

Read the thread for answers. I made it just for you. :)

Since you have said you're white, and only interested in things that concern you, a white man. What is your solution to white on black violence?  What is your solution to white on white violence? Do you need examples for either of these?

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

Read the thread for answers. I made it just for you. :)

Since you have said you're white, and only interested in things that concern you, a white man. What is your solution to white on black violence?  What is your solution to white on white violence? Do you need examples for either of these?

Are you saying that black on black violence is good as long as a white person doesn't do it?

Just now, Reality Check said:

Are you saying that black on black violence is good as long as a white person doesn't do it?

What a stupid question. Are you saying that white on white violence is OK as long as there are no black people involved? 

What is your solution to white on black violence?

What is your solution to white on white violence?

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

And this matters to.me why? Have never been to Tulsa, have no relatives from Tulsa. Hell, my grandfather was in the old country when this happened.

Have you checked the news? You seem very confused about why people are upset. You seem confused about the calls of "racism." 

Did you think this was a personal accusation that you time traveled to 1921 and did this? 

Are you able to conceive of the idea that other people exist besides people you've met in person? 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Black America: repent to us for ***** that you personally have never done, call yourself something you aren't, and then pay us for it.

White America (at least that portion with dignity): ***** off.

Interesting. Another example of y'all making up the other side's position so you can tell it to ***** off. 

None of that is what Black America is requesting, but it's interesting what's what you're choosing to hear. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Jaraxxus said:

Never change, greggy poo. Never change.

I'd say I've changed quite a lot over the past few weeks. 

I'd love to see you change, Jaraxxus; would love to see your mind grow. But I'm afraid you never will, because you don't want to. You are afraid of the truth. Be brave!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jaraxxus said:

How exactly have you changed?

I've become much clearer on the complacency White Americans have toward the violence of their neighbors and they need their cages rattled. 

I've realized that racists are around me more than I wanted to believe before. I had assumed most people were generally moral, good, "Golden Rule" and Jesus' values type of people, more or less. I realized that's all pretty bunk. A lot of "good people" are just cowards who can't admit their real feelings. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Was he that guy with the maniccorn avatar a couple of tears ago that said he had a plan to buy up tons of  houses in Buffalo  and  sell or rent them to  black families (AKA a slumlord)?

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

WGAF . Crawl under a rock and die.

That’s not very nice.  You seem to have been triggered there, snowflake. 

1 hour ago, Wacka said:

WGAF . Crawl under a rock and die.

Upon further reflection, that’s an awful thing to say.  Someone should die because you disagree with their opinion? That’s shameful. And you’re the guy who got all pissy because someone picked on your grammar.  Shame. 

Edited by SectionC3

3 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

Black America: repent to us for ***** that you personally have never done, call yourself something you aren't, and then pay us for it.

White America (at least that portion with dignity): ***** off.

Here’s the crazy thing.  There is another race in this country that has suffered a hell of a lot more than blacks and I don’t see many protests/marches for them.  

2 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

How exactly have you changed?

I’m assume he went from a lunatic to a raving lunatic. 

2 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

No, but I'll be damned if I don't remember our first precious conversation.

What a ***** hypocrite he is. He gets butt hurt when people make assumptions about him while that is his whole raison d’etre. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

He's changed from a drowned out commie voice in the wilderness to a loud commie voice able to take advantage of a group about which he doesn't really care.

On a message board frequented by maybe 20 people. Yeah he’s making a difference. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Okay folks, I need some help when I'm not here to pick up the slack. You do realize I'm sure, all these new threads are meant to bump some we all here care about off the page.

The usual progressive distraction tactic.... 

44xm3n.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Terrible title. Please include the date.

Why? He's trying to "rattle cages" by posting half-truths, twisted logic, outright fallacies, and really bad trolling attempts.

Facts and disclosure are not his friends.

• Like (+1) 1

In addition to these victims of racist violence who tragically lost their lives in one of the largest black eyes in US history, do you know who else died?

Every single adult alive in 1921 in the entire world, and the overwhelming majority of their children.

There have been at least eight identified generations of individuals living since that time.

The year 1921 is nearer to the Civil War on a timeline than it is to today.  James Monroe was the President in a year closer to 1921 than we are today.

The President of the United States in 1921 was Warren G. Harding, who was born in 1865, the same year the Civil War ended.

That’s how far removed America is from any events that happened 1921.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

In addition to these victims of racist violence who tragically lost their lives in one of the largest black eyes in US history, do you know who else died?

Every single adult alive in 1921 in the entire world, and the overwhelming majority of their children.

There have been at least eight identified generations of individuals living since that time.

The year 1921 is nearer to the Civil War on a timeline than it is to today.  James Monroe was the President in a year closer to 1921 than we are today.

The President of the United States in 1921 was Warren G. Harding, who was born in 1865, the same year the Civil War ended.

The Civil War lasted five (5) years. And yet today, there are still people — maybe including yourself, I don't remember — who want that "heritage" respected. See: the NASCAR thread.

The fact that "every person dies" isn't a great point for anything other than absolute nihilism which might be your beliefs, I don't know. Was every person in 1921 murdered in a riot that was covered up for many years?

The fact that it happened in 1921, but that it wasn't publicly known until far more recently — maybe that might help you understand the relevance. 

This insane idea that the past doesn't impact the present status quo is some deeeeeeep magical thinking. How do you think you came into this world? Do you understand cause & effect? Do the events of 1776 — even further back in time — have any bearing on your life today? Are you aware American law is based on precedent? Do you think lawfully murdering Black Americans for generations as precedent has an impact on today's laws and government behaviors?

Anyone? Bueller? Mueller? 

11 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Have there been other massacres in Tulsa that this might be confused with? 

13 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

On a message board frequented by maybe 20 people. Yeah he’s making a difference. ?

It's nice to get to know your fellow Bills fans. I like that it's a smaller group. :)

8 minutes ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Yes.

Fancy stating that a massacre in Tulsa is OK.

Not sure I would want someone like Greg Parsons anywhere near my children.

Not sure if you're joking or not, but you're in Australia so... OK is the state abbreviation for Oklahoma, where Tulsa is. Tulsa, OK. Buffalo, NY. 

I don't want to be anywhere near your family, the feeling is mutual. :)

15 hours ago, Wacka said:

Was he that guy with the maniccorn avatar a couple of tears ago that said he had a plan to buy up tons of  houses in Buffalo  and  sell or rent them to  black families (AKA a slumlord)?

Put your official guesses in the Guess Greg's Identity thread and you could win the prize of me leaving

Edited by GregPersons

13 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Here’s the crazy thing.  There is another race in this country that has suffered a hell of a lot more than blacks and I don’t see many protests/marches for them.  

Native Americans?

There are, in fact, protests and marches for Natives. How would you know? But because your perception is so limited, it really is like "if you don't see it, it doesn't exist." 

But here's the tricky one, Cooking James. Why are there so few Native Americans in the US compared to other races? Hmm. Tricky one if you don't know any history at all.

2 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Has the fat untalented lunch man donated yet?

Charf Jom has not entered the arena, despite many calls and monetary incentive, just for him to step up and be the hero to defend the white race from this slander. 

22 hours ago, Wacka said:

7 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Yes.

Fancy stating that a massacre in Tulsa is OK.

Not sure I would want someone like Greg Parsons anywhere near my children.

15 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

#whiteprivilege

16 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

16 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Why? He's trying to "rattle cages" by posting half-truths, twisted logic, outright fallacies, and really bad trolling attempts.

Facts and disclosure are not his friends.

18 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

19 hours ago, Cinga said:

Okay folks, I need some help when I'm not here to pick up the slack. You do realize I'm sure, all these new threads are meant to bump some we all here care about off the page.

The usual progressive distraction tactic.... 

44xm3n.jpg

20 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

20 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

He's changed from a drowned out commie voice in the wilderness to a loud commie voice able to take advantage of a group about which he doesn't really care.

6 minutes. That's it. Less time than George Floyd had the knee on his throat. 

I find these threads incredible. Everyone fighting over 1921, Civil War, WHarding, etc.

Just a thought for clarity. If a family has members who are expressing pain, do you tell them they have no pain or the reason for the pain is invalid.

Seems to me the only decision is do you want to stop the pain and if you do, then discuss that.

The cops in Atlanta the other day must have an IQ of 13 if they could not understand that sleeping in a car, drunk or not is hardly worth death of him or themselves. 

I use to tell my employees who had alcohol issues, the reason why you drink too much is not important until later. Just stop drinking, concentrate on changing from this point on. Once you have a state of mind you can think rationally, then revisit the past when there is perspective.

The black community needs to be understood by the family.

The cops which represent the rest of the family have lost perspective. 

It is a complicated relationship but stopping the pain is step one.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

6 minutes. That's it. Less time than George Floyd had the knee on his throat. 

How many minute did George Floyd point a loaded gun at a pregnant woman in Texas? Just curious.

51 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Just a thought for clarity. If a family has members who are expressing pain, do you tell them they have no pain or the reason for the pain is invalid.

Seems to me the only decision is do you want to stop the pain and if you do, then discuss that.

Actually, if you are trying to truly help a family member in real psychological pain, you can only do it through discussion of the root causes of that pain in therapeutic alliances with all affected family members, where the feelings are explored with empathy, honesty, positive validations, and without blame. Healing doesn't occur by dismissing the feelings and thoughts of all other family members, nor does it occur when the process begins with the premise that the family member in pain is disliked by all other family members to the degree that they would do anything to keep him/her in pain.

40 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Actually, if you are trying to truly help a family member in real psychological pain, you can only do it through discussion of the root causes of that pain in therapeutic alliances with all affected family members, where the feelings are explored with empathy, honesty, positive validations, and without blame. Healing doesn't occur by dismissing the feelings and thoughts of all other family members, nor does it occur when the process begins with the premise that the family member in pain is disliked by all other family members to the degree that they would do anything to keep him/her in pain.

You move way to fast. No one even suggested psychological pain. The world has not even listen enough to determine that. Healing must start by the validation of those that are in pain first. I never suggested ignoring the pain of the rest of the family, but dealing with that initially leads to breakdown of the process and back to the same old and tired debate. You sometimes have to tell your wife you love her and understand and then listen with love and real attention for days before you discuss the bad meatloaf. That is if you really want the relationship to survive. A question at this point is more important that a position.

Unless you are black in America today, your thoughts on solutions are useless until you first listen. You have 2 ears and one mouth...use them in that proportion. You will hear some shi?, but sorting through to clarity takes time. Start today. It has been too long.

4 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Unless you are black in America today, your thoughts on solutions are useless until you first listen.

But I thought white silence was violence. How am I supposed to listen if I'm being forced to speak? And why am I being forced to speak if my thoughts are useless? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Niagara Bill said:

You move way to fast. No one even suggested psychological pain. The world has not even listen enough to determine that. Healing must start by the validation of those that are in pain first. I never suggested ignoring the pain of the rest of the family, but dealing with that initially leads to breakdown of the process and back to the same old and tired debate. You sometimes have to tell your wife you love her and understand and then listen with love and real attention for days before you discuss the bad meatloaf. That is if you really want the relationship to survive. A question at this point is more important that a position.

Unless you are black in America today, your thoughts on solutions are useless until you first listen. You have 2 ears and one mouth...use them in that proportion. You will hear some shi?, but sorting through to clarity takes time. Start today. It has been too long.

Actually, we are dealing with psychological pain, NB, whatever you choose to wrap it up in. As for your analogy of your angry wife, you can acknowledge her anger or pain, you can aknowledge the legitimacy of what she feels, you can listen to her as she tells you what she is feeling; however, it doesn't necessarily mean the reason(s) she is angry or in pain are entirely legitimate. If you both want the relationship to work, then, at some point, that has to be discussed honestly.

As to your bolded: (1) I agree that we must listen. However, one does not have to have experience in in a particular area, or completely agree after listening for his/her thoughts on solutions to be useful. (2) Would you also say unless you are a law enforcement officer in America today, your thoughts on solutions are useless until you first listen to them?

6 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

But I thought white silence was violence. How am I supposed to listen if I'm being forced to speak? And why am I being forced to speak if my thoughts are useless? 

Of course not. Listening is not silence. Ignoring is silence. At this point your opinion on the meatloaf is not important. The US and Canada have a social family problem. Listening will help you learn. Silence through ignoring gets you same old.

Just now, Niagara Bill said:

Of course not. Listening is not silence. Ignoring is silence. At this point your opinion on the meatloaf is not important. The US and Canada have a social family problem. Listening will help you learn. Silence through ignoring gets you same old.

I suppose this is the new definition of silence, like we redefined defund earlier?