Minnesota Police disbanded

2 minutes ago, Margarita said:

oh geez that danged brain of mine straw MAN paper tiger geesh crucify me already

Don't apologize! It's a great one, and a badge of honor around here. :beer: 

It made me guffaw out loud (not at you, but because it's a fun image). 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Margarita said:

oh but i disagree it certainly has here.

Well bully for them. They really instigated a constructive dialogue by getting us to argue on our forum, didn't they?

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

No seriously you're argument is based solely on changing the meaning of a word.  In what world is that an acceptable argument?? 

ridiculous simplification and another straw tiger....(haha) hey ask Joe Miner..words are IMPORTANT remember? 

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Don't apologize! It's a great one, and a badge of honor around here. :beer: 

It made me guffaw out loud (not at you, but because it's a fun image). 

I agree. I actually like it. It works. Paper Tiger is Chinese in origin and you know how us racists feel about the Chinese. 

Just now, Margarita said:

ridiculous simplification and another straw tiger....(haha) hey ask Joe Miner..words are IMPORTANT remember? 

How do you simplify a definition of a word? I can't believe I'm even having this conversation.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Azalin said:

Well bully for them. They really instigated a constructive dialogue by getting us to argue on our forum, didn't they?

its a great question..why are we all here then...?

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

I agree. I actually like it. It works. Paper Tiger is Chinese in origin and you know how us racists feel about the Chinese. 

How do you simplify a definition of a word? I can't believe I'm even having this conversation.  

great lets not have it and say we did...*yawns* I cant believe you asked the question..words matter..JOE MINER

2 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

defund

verb

de·fund | \ (ˌ)dē-ˈfənd
\
defunded; defunding; defunds

Definition of defund

transitive verb

: to withdraw funding from

That's the meaning of defund. Not what Black Lives Matter says it means.

You conservative bastards are all against CHANGE!!  We have changed the meaning of the. word dammit.  

Kind of like how Global Warming became Climate Change. 

2 minutes ago, Margarita said:

great lets not have it and say we did...*yawns* I cant believe you asked the question..words matter..JOE MINER

No this is not a "words matter" argument. This is a "words have meaning" argument.  Have you gotten ANYTHING correct in this forum? 

hey JOE MINER way to add to the convo today WORDS MATTER,,thats what Il take from tiodays conversation fookin Briliant. LOL

oh and WORDS HAVE MEANING too,,,,,,Chef Joe.....err JIM

sorry folks gotta snark sometimes y'all are a great bunch. 

wait...do  words matter or do they have meaning..or Both....its a STRAW TIGER y'all...LOL

great fun.  thanks for the convo.

Edited by Margarita

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You conservative bastards are all against CHANGE!!  We have changed the meaning of the. word dammit.  

Kind of like how Global Warming became Climate Change. 

No this is not a "words matter" argument. This is a "words have meaning" argument.  Have you gotten ANYTHING correct in this forum? 

"to withdraw funding"... does not necessarily mean "to withdraw ALL funding."

To use in a sentence-- Los Angeles is defunding the LAPD in the amount of $150 million dollars.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

To use in a sentence-- Los Angeles is defunding the LAPD in the amount of $150 million dollars.  

Not you too.   Who said anything about "withdraw funding"?  The word is DEFUND.  Please define the word Defund.  

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

no voices of reason or nuance allowed here its all or nothing didnt you know LOL....

11 minutes ago, Margarita said:

its a great question..why are we all here then...?

It's not about us, it's about them.

And if they are stupid enough to think a riot is an acceptable means of creating a jumping off point to discuss how to fix anything,  they will likely have plenty of time to reflect upon their mistakes from inside a jail cell.

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Not you too.   Who said anything about "withdraw funding"?  The word is DEFUND.  Please define the word Defund.  

As someone who appreciates word origins, in a cursory review, the first known usage of the word "defund" appears to have occurred in 1948. Like all words, someone made it up by using it. 

Why are you so admit that partial defunding is not a real concept? 

21 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

defund

verb

de·fund | \ (ˌ)dē-ˈfənd
\
defunded; defunding; defunds

Definition of defund

transitive verb

: to withdraw funding from

That's the meaning of defund. Not what Black Lives Matter says it means.

I could buy the argument that the definition does not say to withdraw all funding from, if defund and disband weren’t being used interchangeably by the proponents of these ideas.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

de-

prefix

Definition of de- (Entry 2 of 2)

1ado the opposite ofdeactivate
breverse ofde-emphasis
2aremove (a specified thing) fromdelouse
bremove from (a specified thing)dethrone

When you deemphasize black and white, you can begin to see there are shades of grey. 

2 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

I could buy the argument that the definition does not say to withdraw all funding from, if defund and disband weren’t being used interchangeably by the proponents of these ideas.

And yet many proponents of disbanding want to then reconstituted police departments under community policing standards. 

8 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

As someone who appreciates word origins, in a cursory review, the first known usage of the word "defund" appears to have occurred in 1948. Like all words, someone made it up by using it. 

A novel concept, indeed. Can you point me to the folks calling for partially defunding? Surely someone who has been calling for defunding the police has used the word partially, right?

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

And yet many proponents of disbanding want to then reconstituted police departments under community policing standards. 

Then they should come out and say that, instead of beating around the bush and being unable to answer simple questions about who will respond to home invasions or active shooter situations. 

Just now, Jaraxxus said:

I believe in precise language. Why? Because I believe in absolute truth.

People who believe in intentionally muddy language in my experience do not believe in absolute truth, and therefore can't be trusted to tell the truth.

Know what I mean?

On a personal note, I believe in absolute truth too. I do not happen to believe that absolute truth resides within the ephemeral world, within the world of change and appearance. And that is the world, the relative world of change, that gives birth to language. 

All language changes and evolves. Absolute truth by definition is unchangeable. 

So we negotiate the meaning of words because all words are inventions of the human mind. 

5 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think they should be. There are two real systemic problems, not only in policing, but across all government agencies: Rewarding mediocrity and an inability to get rid of employees who can't even reach that low standard of performance. We have allowed it to reach a point where it is almost impossible to get rid of the bad apples.

The unions support the democrats, the democrats give the unions raises, rinse and repeat

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Partial defuning is a real concept.  So is defunding.  They are two different things.  See how changing the construction of the sentence completely changes the meaning.   

And the word is adamant.  I suggest you learn the language before you debate it.  

Again, because it still feels relevant, I suppose everyone arguing that defund doesn't actually mean remove all funding is now okay with defunding planned parenthood. And if someone were to suggest disbanding planned parenthood they are actually just suggesting that their funding go towards standard Healthcare facilities to aid in them offering many of the 'necessary' services that people went to planned parenthood for previously. 

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, Capco said:

They fired all of the officers via abolishing their department, then allowed all of the former officers to apply to be rehired under new, more selective criteria.  This allowed them to snuff out the bad officers and hire new ones.  In the process, their police force served the community better and expanded at the same time.  

A reduction in law enforcement isn't always what "abolish the police" actually means.  If only people knew more...

The "new, more selective criteria" being accepting half the pay and no union. The Camden move was solely meant to bust the police union and reduce costs; it had very little to do with the nonsense you're trying to push.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

The "new, more selective criteria" being accepting half the pay and no union. The Camden move was solely meant to bust the police union and reduce costs; it had very little to do with the nonsense you're trying to push.

Hmm let’s see go back to work for the same scumbags that just fired me and want me to take a pay cut? Or go somewhere else where I’m appreciated and paid commensurate with my knowledge, skills, and abilities? Tough choice..

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Hmm let’s see go back to work for the same scumbags that just fired me and want me to take a pay cut? Or go somewhere else where I’m appreciated and paid commensurate with my knowledge, skills, and abilities? Tough choice..

Half the pay was still somewhere around $90k...

21 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

When government cuts other social program we usually just celebrate it as a Tax Cut

Do you think you/cops deserve more than teachers? What are your "knowledge, skills, and abilities" exactly, and how are they helpful?

Since you're paid with my tax dollars, I just want to know what I'm paying for. Based on your posts here, I can think of no better reason to de-fund the police than the fact that it employs people like this.

Edited by GregPersons

3 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Please, like you pay taxes.

Also curious where else Sig is going to be paid for his "knowledge, skills, and abilities" and what those are. 

You seem to be full of rage today, that KKK thread really seemed to trigger you, snowflake. 

3 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

Also curious where else Sig is going to be paid for his "knowledge, skills, and abilities" and what those are. 

You seem to be full of rage today, that KKK thread really seemed to trigger you, snowflake. 

Easy there, killer. I'm not the one who beats his wife.

1 hour ago, Margarita said:

says who ..oh never mind. You the font of all knowledge wisdom and understanding.......and Joe Miner LOL

SMH 

oh geez that danged brain of mine straw MAN paper tiger geesh crucify me already

Too late.  It's in the book.

Just now, Koko78 said:

Easy there, killer. I'm not the one who beats his wife.

Were you aware "beats his wife" is actually a super common way for White people to discredit Black people?

It's in COINTELPRO

The FBI used it on MLK even

Did you know? Were you aware how racist you were being by trying to "gotcha" me from posting about race, because it makes you uncomfortable?

Get on Zoom with me!!!

3 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

Way to show the Police are listening.

None of you are necessary. HS drop outs gonna need to find some other profession.

Oinky oink!

What is your solution to black on black violence?