Buffalo PD assault older gentleman, leave him to bleed

Reed83HOF

17 minutes ago, Rico said:

They resigned from that task force not all together.

also I could of sworn I've heard this phrase somewhere before

“Fifty-seven resigned in disgust because of the treatment of two of their members, who were simply executing orders,”

Edited by Warcodered
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

“Fifty-seven resigned in disgust because of the treatment of two of their members, who were simply executing orders,”

yeah the bolded does ring a bell...can’t quite remember...

52 minutes ago, Rico said:

They didn't actually resign from the force and forfeit their benefits and stuff, they resigned from the emergency response team.

It's probably kind of symbolic since I expect Buffalo may soon (if not already) throw everyone on the force out there in riot gear - Stl did.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They didn't actually resign from the force and forfeit their benefits and stuff, they resigned from the special response team.

It's probably kind of symbolic since I expect Buffalo may soon (if not already) throw everyone on the force out there in riot gear - Stl did.

Baltimore is chill, go figure.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

When the gentleman that was shoved is recovered, would really like to know why he was holding the helmet.

Was he trying to return a police helmet as had been speculated?  If so, why try to return it to a line of riot police in formation rather than a police station or a singular police officer?  He was hanging out in the square (from the other video) for at least a 1/2 hour.  It would seem that he'd've had an opportunity to turn it in prior to the line being formed, though maybe not.

If not that & it was his, why wasn't he wearing it?  Would've saved himself a lot of pain & trouble and might've saved two police officers' careers.

Hope he's ok.

5:37 p.m. Buffalo police attack suspect releases statement

An attorney representing Martin Gugino released a statement on behalf of this client who is in serious but stable condition after he was shoved by Buffalo police officers during a protest.

Gugino is alert and oriented, according to his attorney Kelly V. Zarcone.

"Mr. Gugino has been a longtime peaceful protester, human rights advocate and overall fan of the U.S. Constitution for many years," Zarcone said.

"He appreciates all of the well wishes he has received and requests that any further protests continue to be peaceful," Zarcone added.

(it's on several better sources, I chose abcnews as not paywalled)

From NYPost (again on other sources, seeking ones not paywalled) quote from Gugino's twitter:

Gugino’s Twitter page is filled with recent posts about the George Floyd protests and civil unrest that have broken out across the country.

On Thursday, he tweeted about the curfews implemented in various cities in response to protest violence and looting.

“Protests are exempt from curfews because Congress (and mayors) may make no laws that abridge the right of the people peaceably to assemble and complain to the government,” Gugino wrote. “The government should receive the complaint with thanks, not arrest the people or beat them.

It may be a reasonable inference that the bystander in the earlier Niagara Square video said that Gugino was "asking to be punched in the face" because he may have been pretty assertively trying to persuade protesters to stay after the curfew despite any harm it might cause them financially to risk arrest, because he believes protests are exempt from curfews.  And it may likewise be a reasonable inference that he was marching up to the police to inform them of his belief. 

Which IMHO is not deserving of getting his head broke up, and I personally feel for anyone who is recovering from TBI, but it isn't trying to helpfully return a helmet, either. 

And to Bill, I don't think he particularly suffers from mental issues, unless you class any retired 75 yr old computer technology worker who devotes considerable time and energy to political activism as suffering from mental issues ?‍♂️

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm assuming you've seen the similar incident which happened in Salt Lake City a couple days ago?

Could you imagine if that was your dad, or your grandfather?  It's absolutely disgusting. These cops have zero compassion for the people they are supposed to be serving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhwQDKOEOq4

11 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

I'm assuming you've seen the similar incident which happened in Salt Lake City a couple days ago?

Could you imagine if that was your dad, or your grandfather?  It's absolutely disgusting. These cops have zero compassion for the people they are supposed to be serving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhwQDKOEOq4

Wow, that seems totally gratuitous.  What exactly were they trying to accomplish there?  The man was moving away from them, not confronting them, and if he's moving at his "best speed" shoving him with a riot shield won't make him faster

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wow, that seems totally gratuitous.  What exactly were they trying to accomplish there?  The man was moving away from them, not confronting them, and if he's moving at his "best speed" shoving him with a riot shield won't make him faster

Exactly.

image.thumb.png.f67520c2c6062af4767f95d5c1c1a533.png

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

have you not seen any of these? It's everywhere in every city...

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Jon Oliver talked about police accountability a few years ago and one of the things in the video was "gypsy cops" including apparently a guy that had been with 9 departments in 9 years.

Thanks for sharing this. 

It's not anything I really like to bring up, but since we're on the subject...

I witnessed this kind of schiit firsthand during anti-war protests in Portland Oregon, back in 2003.

During a purely peaceful demonstration attended by a full cross-section of society (white, black, old, young) I watched as police brutalized the crowd for no reason.

I witnessed a cop pepper-straying a young family right in their eyes, including a two-year old on the shoulders of her father.  It was the most f'd up thing I've ever seen and was a turning point in my and my families lives.

For those of you thinking this was just a violent attack on an innocent old man, just know that there is more to his story.

The victim in this story has pulled similar stunts at protests in the past. He wasn’t just handing the police their helmet back, the helmet he was carrying was his own. And he was seen on video earlier in that day carrying said helmet and saying he was there fun and was trying to instigate a fight between people. 

It looked like he was selling the fall and cracked his own skull. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

5:37 p.m. Buffalo police attack suspect releases statement

An attorney representing Martin Gugino released a statement on behalf of this client who is in serious but stable condition after he was shoved by Buffalo police officers during a protest.

Gugino is alert and oriented, according to his attorney Kelly V. Zarcone.

"Mr. Gugino has been a longtime peaceful protester, human rights advocate and overall fan of the U.S. Constitution for many years," Zarcone said.

"He appreciates all of the well wishes he has received and requests that any further protests continue to be peaceful," Zarcone added.

(it's on several better sources, I chose abcnews as not paywalled)

From NYPost (again on other sources, seeking ones not paywalled) quote from Gugino's twitter:

Gugino’s Twitter page is filled with recent posts about the George Floyd protests and civil unrest that have broken out across the country.

On Thursday, he tweeted about the curfews implemented in various cities in response to protest violence and looting.

“Protests are exempt from curfews because Congress (and mayors) may make no laws that abridge the right of the people peaceably to assemble and complain to the government,” Gugino wrote. “The government should receive the complaint with thanks, not arrest the people or beat them.

It may be a reasonable inference that the bystander in the earlier Niagara Square video said that Gugino was "asking to be punched in the face" because he may have been pretty assertively trying to persuade protesters to stay after the curfew despite any harm it might cause them financially to risk arrest, because he believes protests are exempt from curfews.  And it may likewise be a reasonable inference that he was marching up to the police to inform them of his belief. 

Which IMHO is not deserving of getting his head broke up, and I personally feel for anyone who is recovering from TBI, but it isn't trying to helpfully return a helmet, either. 

And to Bill, I don't think he particularly suffers from mental issues, unless you class any retired 75 yr old computer technology worker who devotes considerable time and energy to political activism as suffering from mental issues ?‍♂️

Thank you for the links.  Agreed, that doesn't warrant having his head split open.  But it does cause one to wonder why he thought there was enough of a possibility of a confrontation to bring a helmet but not enough that he'd actually put it on.  Could have saved at least 3 people a lot of pain &/or anguish.

Glad he seems to be recovering well.

59 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

For those of you thinking this was just a violent attack on an innocent old man, just know that there is more to his story.

The victim in this story has pulled similar stunts at protests in the past. He wasn’t just handing the police their helmet back, the helmet he was carrying was his own. And he was seen on video earlier in that day carrying said helmet and saying he was there fun and was trying to instigate a fight between people. 

If by "similar stunts" you mean confronted police and then fallen, can you substantiate this?

I don't really care whose helmet it was, but I can't watch those videos and conclude "it looked like he was selling the fall".  Nor can I personally make out what was being said in the video of him hanging out in Niagara Square earlier.

I believe he's not a sweet little old man handing the police officer his helmet and he may be a bit of a rabble rouser - Bill's point that approaching the police line which is preparing to clear the square is not "normal Joe" behavior has validity - but I don't see how that justifies the police behavior.  They did not have to push him; two of them did not have to push him at once.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

So, was the blood coming out of his ears fake too?

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

They could not have handled this worse.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They didn't actually resign from the force and forfeit their benefits and stuff, they resigned from the emergency response team.

The officers are on a police force. It's not a social club where you can walk out on your duties.  If they want to in unison resign from the response team they probably can do so. That doesn't mean that their resigning from that detail is going to be immediately accepted. If their officials determine that they are needed for this specific assignment to the response team they will have to accept that assignment. If they refuse to comply with their assignment (order) they could be fired (with due process) for insubordination.