Dan Orlovsky just did AFCE QB rankings on ESPN. Had Allen at #3!

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I don't think this is egregious at all. I personally would rank Allen higher than that, but saying Darnold and Tua are better than Allen is reasonable IMO.

Tua has accomplished NOTHING at the NFL level, and given the history of Alabama QBs in the NFL, he's likely NEVER to.

Bad take.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I didn't say it wasn't a Dan Orlovsky bashing thread... My point is I am not complaining that the Bills aren't getting enough love and attention in general, I am disagreeing with this one particular take.

Lol right, it’s not media bashing, they are just all wrong when they don’t like Josh as much as me!

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Tua has accomplished NOTHING at the NFL level, and given the history of Alabama QBs in the NFL, he's likely NEVER to.

Bad take.

Joe Burrow has accomplished nothing at the NFL and given the history of LSU QB’s, he’s likely never to. 

The Bengals are likely trying to trade Burrow to the Bills for Barkley and all his NFL accomplishments. 

Do you get how stupid this take is? 

Probably not...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Billl said:

I’d probably go Miami, Buffalo, New York, New England.  That said, any order is reasonable.  

I was watching the Cleveland game yesterday after the thread about it.  There was a play deep in Browns territory where Allen scrambled and held the ball loosely.  He got hit and fumbled.  The ball bounced off a Brown, and a Lineman for the Bills fell on it a foot from the goal line.  Josh ran a QB sneak on the next play for a TD.  It was a terrible play by Josh, but it wound up being a TD on the stat sheet because he got incredibly lucky and was bailed out.  

So yes, it’s accurate to say that he had more rushing TDs than Lamar, but I think most neutral observers place very little importance on that fact because the 4 TD runs he had from the 1 yard line are more a function of Daboll calling QB sneaks as opposed to other teams who hand it to their RB in those situations.  If those teams called for sneaks the way Daboll does, every QB in the league would have more rushing TDs.

Fair point on rushing TDs. Well said.

Still wouldn't take any other AFC-E QB over Josh tho.

Maybe I suffer from "Homer Syndrome", maybe not. We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Are we really going to be mad at analysts for picking Tua over Allen?

Tua led a Top 2 D1 football program to a National Championship. Look at his college statistics verses Josh Allen's. 

Now, Darnold thus far has been more hype than results, and his foot/sickness has not helped his progress. Also the Jets skill positions have been weak. 

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Bad take.

The idea that all QBs from a school, no matter the coach, system, etc. can't succeed in the NFL is a worse take. For all we know, Tua will never fully be himself after his injury, but absent that, I'd be shocked if he isn't a productive pro.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

I just don't get what Darnold has done to be ranked by anyone above Allen. I don't think he's a bad QB or anything, he just hasn't done anything in the NFL. I think Allen has shown a lot more.

Tua is a rookie, so there's a lot of projecting there. He could be good or he could be a bust. Tough to even include rookies in rankings, in my opinion. Plus he's not even the starter yet. Fitz will start the season.

That's an unknown because neither have really played in the NFL.

Darnold has alternated between bad and good, but when he plays well he has shown a level Allen hasn't reached yet as a passer. Needs to limit the back breaking INT tho to really justify separating the two by a meaningful stretch. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Are we really going to be mad at analysts for picking Tua over Allen?

Tua led a Top 2 D1 football program to a National Championship. Look at his college statistics verses Josh Allen's. 

Now, Darnold thus far has been more hype than results, and his foot/sickness has not helped his progress. Also the Jets skill positions have been weak. 

Man, if I had a dollar for every time Couch GMs used college statistics to project NFL success, I would own an NFL team.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Man, if I had a dollar for every time Couch GMs used college statistics to project NFL success, I would own an NFL team.  

He's not gonna have any games against Miss St., Vandy or Tennessee in the NFL.

I don't agree, but this doesn't get me bothered. It's all a bunch of speculation. I am convinced these media types have figured out how to drive traffic and one strategy is to slight the Bills in order to get the fan base all bothered so that they react. They know we will. It's an easy way get clicks. 

The only reasonable debate is Allen vs Darnold.  I would take and prefer Allen (even did so on Draft night as I had Allen narrowly number 2 over Darnold and behind Baker).   I think Allen has that clutch gene, that leadership gene, and that extra edge to go with all his talents.  But Darnold has a ton of upside too and showed real promise himself.  So I think its a valid case to be made for one or the other narrowly edging out a higher ranking.  

But, Tua is a joke...as in all rookies are a joke to rank over a QB who just amasses 30 TD's in his 2nd season and led his team to a double digit win season and a playoff birth, and with 9 new starters on his offense to work with and scrubs playing opposite Brown all season to throw to.  

Tua could be great...could be a bust...could be mediocre.  He has earned noting at this point other than its not unreasonable to rank him above almost equally unproven Stidham based on potential alone.  But to rank him over a rapidly ascending 2 year vertaran QB coming off 30 TDs and a playoff birth is utterly irresponsible.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I knew this would come up. 

The Bills made a projection when they drafted Allen. That his stature, physical gifts, intangibles, would outweigh the immediate inconsistency and rather low statistical production. 

Other analysts watch Tua, note his stature and injuries, but say that his high level of production and accuracy translate well to the pro-game.  

I don't fault analysts for watching Tua's college career and Allen's college career/pro career and concluding that Tua is better.

Allen has not led a top flight offense at Wyoming or in Buffalo, but this year is his best supporting cast yet.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Stidham has taken NFL snaps though. Surely that means he’s better than guys that haven’t. Right?

No. Nobody is saying that. You are arguing something that nobody else is arguing. I think you are trying to make some kind of dumb point but really you are just being dumb. Both Tua and Stidham are unknown.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

No. Nobody is saying that. You are arguing something that nobody else is arguing. I think you are trying to make some kind of dumb point but really you are just being dumb. Both Tua and Stidham are unknown.

Hi MJS. Meet Joe.

19 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Bad take.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I didn't say it wasn't a Dan Orlovsky bashing thread... My point is I am not complaining that the Bills aren't getting enough love and attention in general, I am disagreeing with this one particular take.

Its just the fact that anyone who doesn't agree Allen is the second coming, has an "agenda."

P. S..... He is inaccurate. 

Just now, FireChans said:

Hi MJS. Meet Joe.

He stated his opinion about Tua. He isn't saying that every single QB who has ever taken a snap in the NFL is automatically better than a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I knew this would come up. 

The Bills made a projection when they drafted Allen. That his stature, physical gifts, intangibles, would outweigh the immediate inconsistency and rather low statistical production. 

Other analysts watch Tua, note his stature and injuries, but say that his high level of production and accuracy translate well to the pro-game.  

I don't fault analysts for watching Tua's college career and Allen's college career/pro career and concluding that Tua is better.

Allen has not led a top flight offense at Wyoming or in Buffalo, but this year is his best supporting cast yet.  

1 Case Keenum* 19217 2007 2011 Houston
2 Timmy Chang* 17072 2000 2004 Hawaii
3 Landry Jones* 16646 2009 2012 Oklahoma
4 Graham Harrell* 15793 2005 2008 Texas Tech
5 Ty Detmer 15031 1988 1991 Brigham Young
6 Kellen Moore* 14667 2008 2011 Boise State
7 Baker Mayfield* 14607 2013 2017 Oklahoma
8 Luke Falk* 14481 2014 2017 Washington State
9 Colt Brennan* 14193 2005 2007 Hawaii
10 Rakeem Cato* 14079 2011 2014 Marshall
11 Mason Rudolph* 13618 2014 2017 Oklahoma State
12 Sean Mannion* 13600 2011 2014 Oregon State
13 Brett Rypien* 13578 2015 2018 Boise State
14 Philip Rivers* 13484 2000 2003 North Carolina State
15 Corey Robinson* 13477 2010 2013 Troy
16 Colt McCoy* 13253 2006 2009 Texas
17 Aaron Murray* 13166 2010 2013 Georgia
18 Kevin Kolb* 12964 2003 2006 Houston
19 Dan Lefevour* 12905 2006 2009 Central Michigan
20 Cooper Rush* 12891 2013 2016 Central Michigan
21 Brandon Doughty* 12855 2011 2015 Western Kentucky
22 Derek Carr* 12843 2009 2013 Fresno State
23 Tim Rattay 12746 1997 1999 Louisiana Tech
24 Ryan Lindley* 12690 2008 2011 San Diego State
25 Luke McCown 12666 2000 2003 Louisiana Tech
26 Chris Redman 12541 1996 1999 Louisville
27 Chase Daniel* 12515 2005 2008 Missouri
28 Mason Fine* 12505 2016 2019 North Texas
29 Brent Stockstill* 12483 2014 2018 Middle Tennessee State
30 Trevor Vittatoe* 12439 2007 2010 UTEP
31 Kliff Kingsbury* 12429 1999 2002 Texas Tech
32 Matt Barkley* 12327 2009 2012 USC
33 Jake Browning* 12296 2015 2018 Washington
34 Jared Goff* 12195 2013 2015 California
35 Drew Lock* 12193 2015 2018 Missouri
36 Zach Terrell* 12100 2013 2016 Western Michigan
37 Zac Dysert* 12013 2009 2012 Miami (OH)
38 Nick Mullens* 11994 2013 2016 Southern Mississippi
39 Shane Carden* 11991 2012 2014 East Carolina
40 Tajh Boyd* 1190

Well, according to you, these top 40 college QBs are guaranteed NFL franchise QBs.   Go ahead, defend the chart!

Source: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/pass-yds-player-career.html