State of Madden Petition

Scorp83

I don't know if there's a game forum on here, but if it is...then please move this to it.

But for those that play Madden, the state of this game is in horrible hands. EA has become complacent & many of us in the Madden community are trying to have our voices heard. The NFL owners will vote whether to decide to extend EA's contract on May 28th, hopefully we get enough signings before then.

There's a lot of developers that would love to make a NFL Simulation game, but because of this exclusivity deal... it prevents anyone from doing so. 

If you want to help...please sign the petition.

Thank in Advance! 

Petition · NFL: Cancel NFL exclusivity deal for Simfootball games · Change.org
https://www.change.org/p/nfl-cancel-nfl-exclusivity-deal-for-simfootball-games

• Like (+1) 2

The problem with Madden is that it ISN'T a simulation game. It's an arcade game for kids that like bells and whistles and that have short attention spans. The same numerous, glaring shortcomings persist year after year while they focus on adding BS that adds nothing to the quality of the game. I sometimes wonder if they hired a bunch of 5 year olds to design the game. I want to play as the coach, not as a finger flipper.

EA desperately needs a serious competitor. Isn't competition what the NFL is all about?

Edited by GreggTX

8 hours ago, Scorp83 said:

I don't know if there's a game forum on here, but if it is...then please move this to it.

But for those that play Madden, the state of this game is in horrible hands. EA has become complacent & many of us in the Madden community are trying to have our voices heard. The NFL owners will vote whether to decide to extend EA's contract on May 28th, hopefully we get enough signings before then.

There's a lot of developers that would love to make a NFL Simulation game, but because of this exclusivity deal... it prevents anyone from doing so. 

If you want to help...please sign the petition.

Thank in Advance! 

Petition · NFL: Cancel NFL exclusivity deal for Simfootball games · Change.org
https://www.change.org/p/nfl-cancel-nfl-exclusivity-deal-for-simfootball-games

Nothing prevents a game designer from creating a good football game. You just can't use NFL players or imagery. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

The problem with Madden is that it ISN'T a simulation game. It's an arcade game for kids that like bells and whistles and that have short attention spans. The same numerous, glaring shortcomings persist year after year while they focus on adding BS that adds nothing to the quality of the game. I sometimes wonder if they hired a bunch of 5 year olds to design the game. I want to play as the coach, not as a finger flipper.

They actually make a Coach game a handful of years ago(still offer coach modes I bet), I dont think it did very well. If you dont like the game play something else I dont need to sign a petition because I can't get more than 10 kills in C.O.D.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

EA desperately needs a serious competitor. Isn't competition what the NFL is all about?

No, the NFL is about money.  Until this exclusivity deal gets to the point they think they could be making more some other way, do not expect anything to change much.  Online petitions make poeple feel better, but really have little to no impact.  This is a business decision and only a business decision. 

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Nothing prevents a game designer from creating a good football game. You just can't use NFL players or imagery. 

But at the same time, NFL teams and players etc. is what draws most to the game I believe.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

No, the NFL is about money.  Until this exclusivity deal gets to the point they think they could be making more, do not expect anything to change much.  Online petitions make poeple feel better, but really have little to no impact.  This is a business decision and only a business decision. 

This.  The NFL doesn't give a crap about an online petition.  They decision will be solely based on how they think they will be able to make the most money.

And honestly, Madden is pretty damn good.  There are tons of game play setting and sliders to adjust to make it simulation type football if thats what you want.  People are just too lazy to mess with them.  Stay off MUT and online head to head and just play with friends or online sim leagues.  That's where it is at.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 2

I don't play video games much anymore....a large part of that is that the only ones I did play were the sports games and games like madden just, well, I can't really get into at all.

The simulation point I agree with.  There just wasn't much accuracy. Try to 'play out' a season, cpu vs cpu (or even part of a Season) and the results were awful.  Not much difference between QB stats....the Pats with Brady in his prime would go 11-5 one season and then 6-8 another.  Virtual no-name players end up being near the top of the league in rushing, star DE might end up the season with 3 or 4 sacks.  Once again, this isn't using the 'sim' mode..but when playing the games out....but that is what I care about...knowing I get an accurate representation of football when playing the games out.

Then the minor issue I have is the animation. Sure, the graphics LOOK good but after all these years, can't they get the animations correct?  Balls seem to fly through the air way too fast, and the direction changes and acceleration/deceleration of players is just pretty bad.  I know its a video game, but it seems like there has been very little improvement over the past decade on this aspect of it.

In all honest the game is probably a lot better than what was available years ago....but I just wish someone would find a way to make the game 'accurate' where the player ratings would/could lead to realistic stats and results.

Edited by mjd1001

3 hours ago, Mark80 said:

The NFL doesn't give a crap about an online petition. 

Nobody gives a crap about online petitions.  They are the adult equivalent of a four year old throwing a temper tantrum.

18 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Then the minor issue I have is the animation. Sure, the graphics LOOK good but after all these years, can't they get the animations correct?  Balls seem to fly through the air way too fast, and the direction changes and acceleration/deceleration of players is just pretty bad.  I know its a video game, but it seems like there has been very little improvement over the past decade on this aspect of it.

In all honest the game is probably a lot better than what was available years ago....but I just wish someone would find a way to make the game 'accurate' where the player ratings would/could lead to realistic stats and results.

Any software company needs to prioritize its investments in product development.  I'd guess that EA has a fairly robust process to measure ROI against its product roadmap. 

Simply put, the 'bells and whistles' probably generates more sales for less product dev cost than fundamentally improving the underlying gameplay.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Lol 118 people have signed the petition. I’m sure EA is real nervous..

Something wrong with the page.  Everytime you click on the link...it resets the number of signatures to 99 or 100 and then it slowly rises as you watch it.  First time I clicked on it it said 100 and then by the time I l closed the page it was at about 115.  Then I clicked on it again a few mintues later..and it said 99....but 60 seconds later it said 124.  I just refreshed the page now and it went down to 95, but then slowly started rising again.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Thats exactly what stops them. They understand the product without the NFL likeness would not do overly well.

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Don’t buy the new game. I mean why would anyone keep buying it? The most important thing to me is updated rosters and you don’t need the most current game for that..

really? On mine updates stop coming at the end of that respective season. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

18 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

really? On mine updates stop coming at the end of that respective season. 

They've added the ability to upload and download rosters, draft classes, slider settings, etc. You won't get an official roster from EA for the 2020-21 season in Madden 20, but I guarantee someone will take the ratings in Madden 21 and upload them into a Madden 20 roster for people to download.

40 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

They've added the ability to upload and download rosters, draft classes, slider settings, etc. You won't get an official roster from EA for the 2020-21 season in Madden 20, but I guarantee someone will take the ratings in Madden 21 and upload them into a Madden 20 roster for people to download.

100% accurate. I bet you can download a roster now that has all the draft picks and FA signings updated. You just won't have the current schedule or updated uniforms. 

Good luck OP but imo EA isn't going anywhere. An online petition means nothing to them or the NFL. People aren't going to stop buying the game until another one comes along that is better and that probably won't happen unless they can use the real players and logos. 

47 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Someone did and its pretty effin awesome to be honest that someone took the time do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I remember the old NFL 2k games. I liked them so much more than Madden.

I don't play video games anymore, but if the 2k series was allowed to come back (i.e. madden loses exclusivity deal) I'd seriously consider getting back into gaming.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

100% accurate. I bet you can download a roster now that has all the draft picks and FA signings updated. You just won't have the current schedule or updated uniforms. 

Good luck OP but imo EA isn't going anywhere. An online petition means nothing to them or the NFL. People aren't going to stop buying the game until another one comes along that is better and that probably won't happen unless they can use the real players and logos. 

Yeah, I'm 100% sure you can download a roster now like you're mentioning. I hate what EA has done to pretty much all of their games in recent years, but allowing people to upload/download stuff was a huge breakthrough. I haven't messed around with it in Madden nearly as much as I have in NBA 2K, but if the roster/draft class creation in Madden gets to where it is in 2K, it'll be an absolute game-changer. Being able to download a 1990 roster to play a franchise with Kelly, Thurman, etc., downloading a 1991, 92, 93, etc. draft class to basically recreate history...it'll be awesome if it takes off (and it may have already, I don't know) in Madden the way it has in 2K.