Emmanuel Sanders spoke to Bills asked for a night to think about it and we traded for Diggs

2 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

its like asking a girl to dance or to go out; if she doesn't say yes and doesn't want to hurt your feelings you need to know that and move on, and I think we got the better looking one; just hope he is not high maint….☢️

High maintenance is perfectly fine if they put out.... 

I think diggs will “put out” for us ?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t think this was any special kind of maneuver by Beane.  Just straightforward and competent dealing.  He really couldn’t show his hand to either player.  The Diggs deal came to a conclusion and Sanders was left out in the cold.  As Diggs is the better and younger player I have to think - even with the trade compensation factored in - that Sanders was the backup plan.

How was Sanders the backup plan if they made him the offer first?  Had he said yes, they would not have traded tor Diggs.

Also, it's pretty hard to argue that  Sanders to Brees is being "left out in the cold"...

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think it's funny Sanders took exception to the Bills going for Diggs just 30 minutes after he told them he'd think about it.  LOL!

He really didn't seem to broken up about it (his conclusion: "ok").  He seems pretty pumped to be going to NO.

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Probably more of a shock/surprise that he is negotiating with them and said he wanted some time, then hears they made a trade so quickly.

It shouldn't have been.  He's the one asking for more time.  The Bills were under no obligation to give it to him.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Agree with those saying it was not a "Sanders or Diggs" situation.  The Bills wanted both.

I don't agree.  I think FA choices were limited and they viewed him as the #2 guy.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How was Sanders the backup plan if they made him the offer first?  Had he said yes, they would not have traded tor Diggs.

Also, it's pretty hard to argue that  Sanders to Brees is being "left out in the cold"...

He really didn't seem to broken up about it (his conclusion: "ok").  He seems pretty pumped to be going to NO.

This seems the most likely case -- if they had  signed Sanders, they would have used their 1st round pick on a wide receiver. 

Also people are being way too sensitive,  I didn't see anything in the story that said Sanders was annoyed at the Bills trading for Diggs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Always fun to read about the maneuverings that the team goes through during free agency, always more than meets the eye so to speak. 
Glad we ended up with Diggs in the end, he’s a better option for our team. 

Go Bills!!!

I agree. 

And people shouldn't jump to conclusions.   This is just how Sanders reported it.   He doesn't exactly say there was an offer on the table.  There may just have been discussions about the possible range of a deal.   

Beane never has all his eggs in one basket.   He's looking everywhere for the help he needs.   I'd guess that he had an idea of what it would take to get Sanders, and then he talked to Minny and got an idea of what it would take to get Diggs.   Diggs clearly was going to cost more, but as others have said, he's younger, and he's a better choice than Sanders if you're looking for a pure #1 guy.   Beane looked at the two and decided that Diggs was the better move.   Not all that surprising.

Still, as you say, it's fun to read about how these deals go down.   

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

He mentioned it so it he must have been taken aback somewhat.  But yes, like I said, it worked out better for everyone.

Just now, Doc said:

He mentioned it so it he must have been taken aback somewhat.  But yes, like I said, it worked out better for everyone.

He was taken aback because they made him an offer, and he did what I'm sure most players with options do and said let me think about your offer....and then he sees that within 30 min, the team that made just him this offer traded their upcoming 1st round pick and others to get another vet WR.  That would make any player say: "ok...".

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think it's funny Sanders took exception to the Bills going for Diggs just 30 minutes after he told them he'd think about it.  LOL!

I suspect that Sanders thought he was our #1 want at WR, maybe his ego was realigned a bit... no matter though, we got the better player, although getting both of them would have been nice, Beane doesn’t mess around, it shows that this isn’t the old Buffalo Bills anymore, ya snooze ya lose. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I suspect that Sanders thought he was our #1 want at WR, maybe his ego was realigned a bit... no matter though, we got the better player, although getting both of them would have been nice, Beane doesn’t mess around, it shows that this isn’t the old Buffalo Bills anymore, ya snooze ya lose. 

Go Bills!!!

Why wouldn't he think that?  It's now clear that him not agreeing on the spot made them move on to their 2nd option plan which was to execute the trade for Diggs. 

It's clear the Bills weren't aiming to have both on the team. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why wouldn't he think that?  It's now clear that him not agreeing on the spot made them move on to their 2nd option plan which was to execute the trade for Diggs. 

It's clear the Bills weren't aiming to have both on the team. 

But could you imagine if we did! ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hardhatharry said:

The surprising part is the 30 min later they got Diggs after he told them he wanted to think about it.

I’m pretty sure that was his way of saying I’m not interested in signing with you. Honestly though Sanders hasn’t done a whole lot since Manning retired. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was taken aback because they made him an offer, and he did what I'm sure most players with options do and said let me think about your offer....and then he sees that within 30 min, the team that made just him this offer traded their upcoming 1st round pick and others to get another vet WR.  That would make any player say: "ok...".

Yeah, they made him an offer and he wanted to sleep on it.  It's not his first FA rodeo and he's been in the league long enough to know it's a business and things move fast.

In any case, I'm glad he waffled and they got Diggs instead.  Did not want the Bills taking a WR in the 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, they made him an offer and he wanted to sleep on it.  It's not his first FA rodeo and he's been in the league long enough to know it's a business and things move fast.

In any case, I'm glad he waffled and they got Diggs instead.  Did not want the Bills taking a WR in the 1st.

I think it worked out best for all parties. And I dont think he told the story because he's hurt or upset, but rather simply to illustrate how crazy Free Agency is for the players.

• Like (+1) 1