Sign in to follow this  
LB48

Remembering Ralph Wilson

55 minutes ago, MJS said:

I just new that "fans" would not be able to help coming in here and saying bad things about the man.

There would be no Buffalo Bills without Wilson. That's all that needs to be said. Without him we'd all be rooting for the Jets, Giants, or heaven help us, the Browns.

I’m a fan of the team, not him as an owner. How easy it is for “some” to forget he’d have preferred Miami for his team to locate..

23 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Classless... or just pointing out the reality of someone’s legacy

You can do that in the "Let's take a balanced look at Ralph's legacy thread". It's all about context. 

edit: actually I don't care what you do. Carry on. 

Edited by Bob Chandler's Hands
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

For all his failings as an owner, the greatest thing he did was the way he set the franchise upon his death, basically forcing whomever bought it to stay in Buffalo. And to Mary, for massaging the sale to get it to the Pegulas.

As someone else said Ralph Wilson was a great person, but not a great owner. As a team owner his missteps were numerous. He was however very good for the league, especially the AFL. Watch the documentary series “Full Color Football”, Ralph was integral to AFL survival and the merger.

I meet Ralph in a hotel lobby in Palm Beach. I told him I was a Bills fan he stopped and talked Bills with me. His face lit up when he spoke about the Bills. He loved the team and it’s fans. 

Thanks Terry, and god bless Ralph for keeping the team around.

Page 84 of NFL Century talks about how Ralph ran missions in WWII, brave man.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, clearwater cadet said:

Good person I assume, as an owner 4  to 7 years of good, doesnt erase 60 years of bad.

Yea 2 afl titles . 10 divions titles , 4 straight SBs. . countless HoF players and HoFr himself

60 years of bad lol the Bills WERE NOT one of the worst franchises

Ralph IS the Bills

Edited by Buffalo716

42 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Thank you for the 17 year Playoff Drought, Mr Wilson 

Ha you really must be a troll to keep bashing him lmao

10 Division titles, 2 AFL titles, 4 straight SBs. Numerous HoF players. HoFr himself

You act like a child

• Thanks! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ha you really must be a troll to keep bashing him lmao

10 Division titles, 2 AFL titles, 4 straight SBs. Numerous HoF players. HoFr himself

You act like a child

How much of that success can be derived from Bill Polian... you know?  The guy Ralph fired over a petty squabble.

Im not trolling - I said he did some good things off the field.  But as an NFL owner, he was bad and the Drought years were miserable largely because of him.  I remember the good Ralph did but also the bad

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

How much of that success can be derived from Bill Polian... you know?  The guy Ralph fired over a petty squabble.

Im not trolling - I said he did some good things off the field.  But as an NFL owner, he was bad and the Drought years were miserable largely because of him.  I remember the good Ralph did but also the bad

Polian was technically only here for 4 -10 . 5 if you credit him for 93

Still leaves 5 titles and 2 AFL championships

Ralph Wilson helped advance medical care funding research which was first used on the field in a game on Kevin Everett on an injury to spine which was first characterized as potentially life-threatening,.  This is only one of the major ways he affected Buffalo.  I worked in Health Sciences Library at University of Buffalo and I was told by my boss to help on project for new section of library.  Boxes of new medical texts were in and section of library was going to be reorganized.  I noticed on labels they all came from Ralph Wilson, one of his charity organizations.  Not once was he publicly credited for this impressive donation.  This is how he was throughout most of time in Buffalo.

Ralph Wilson made Buffalo a better place which is something I think most detractors can say.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Polian was technically only here for 4 -10 . 5 if you credit him for 93

Still leaves 5 titles and 2 AFL championships

50 + years of ownership... that’s not great

6 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I am sure that if you had a company and an employee called your daughter a ***** and other things you would give the person a raise.  She was not  just his daughter but someone who had contributed to scouting department.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Ralph Wilson helped advance medical care funding research which was first used on the field in a game on Kevin Everett on an injury to spine which was first characterized as potentially life-threatening,.  This is only one of the major ways he affected Buffalo.  I worked in Health Sciences Library at University of Buffalo and I was told by my boss to help on project for new section of library.  Boxes of new medical texts were in and section of library was going to be reorganized.  I noticed on labels they all came from Ralph Wilson, one of his charity organizations.  Not once was he publicly credited for this impressive donation.  This is how he was throughout most of time in Buffalo.

Ralph Wilson made Buffalo a better place which is something I think most detractors can say.

I would agree with this.  I always said that his philanthropy and dedication to the WNY area should be admired.  He also generated money to several colleges in the area as well.  

My critique has been the football product that he put out during the final two decades of his ownership.  The product was very very poor

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I am sure that if you had a company and an employee called your daughter a ***** and other things you would give the person a raise.  She was not  just his daughter but someone who had contributed to scouting department.

We don’t know the whole story....what we do know is that Ralph fired Buffalo’s most successful GM AND Buffalo’s second most successful GM John Butler for personal reasons.  

He replaced them Tom Donahoe, Marv Levy and Russ Brandon, and Buddy Nix.  Quite a group there.  Hope you enjoyed the drought 

Edited by Phil The Thrill

5 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

The drought was terrible

So what. It was piss poor management all around not just Ralph. He has advisors and they were telling him wrong also

He spent his money on the wrong players and his coaches never turned out. That's sports

QB IS the toughest thing to find in ALL of sports and we couldn't find 1. We were 7-9 perennially

You act like we were perennial top 3 pickers like the browns or something

Edited by Buffalo716

I was back for a game years ago and was having dinner at the Creekview in Williamsville. I literally bumped into him coming out of the men’s room. He was there with one other guy, and I wanted to anonymously pay for their meal. They got out before I could pull it off. It may seem stupid to try to buy a billionaire dinner, but it wasn’t the money, it was the show of appreciation for keeping our team in WNY when he could have easily moved and possibly doubled the value of the team. 

The next day at the game I come around a corner and almost get run over by the guy driving his little Pope-mobile around the concourse! Ralph and I, we were tight! 

I may have been the person who first suggested he donate most of the proceeds from the sale of the team to charities. You’ll never know.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

So what. It was piss poor management all around not just Ralph. He has advisors and they were telling him wrong also

He spent his money on the wrong players and his coaches never turned out. That's sports

QB IS the toughest thing to find in ALL of sports and we couldn't find 1. We were 7-9 perennially

You act like we were perennial top 3 pickers like the browns or something

They had the LONGEST.... I repeat the LONGEST active playoff drought that lasted nearly 20 years.  The Browns made the playoffs during that time.  The Bills did not.

2 DECADES of no playoffs - that’s not sports!  That’s incompetence.  The mathematical chances of that happened were minuscule, yet Ralph found a way to do it.  

Stop giving Ralph and the team a pass, they were failures.  

Also yes the incompetence starts with Ralph.  You said coaches and GM’s didn’t work out - who empowered them!?!?  Ralph! Do you want me to list all of the great moves he made during the drought?  There are quite a few

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was back for a game years ago and was having dinner at the Creekview in Williamsville. I literally bumped into him coming out of the men’s room. He was there with one other guy, and I wanted to anonymously pay for their meal. They got out before I could pull it off. It may seem stupid to try to buy a billionaire dinner, but it wasn’t the money, it was the show of appreciation for keeping our team in WNY when he could have easily moved and possibly doubled the value of the team. 

The next day at the game I come around a corner and almost get run over by the guy driving his little Pope-mobile around the concourse! Ralph and I, we were tight! 

I may have been the person who first suggested he donate most of the proceeds from the sale of the team to charities. You’ll never know.....

Good memory.... Sounds like Ralph was a good person.  

Edited by Phil The Thrill