Pegulas taking heat for treatment of PSE employees during quarantine; donate 1.2 mill to WNY pandemic relief

22 hours ago, mattynh said:

Businesses all over the country are laying people off.  It sucks for sure.  And there is no guarantee business ever gets back to how it was.  

they are doing this so the employees can collect unemployment. Most restaurants and bars it’s the only way the employees could get paid.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd like to see the Pegula's respond to this report.  Give their side of the story or it looks like a cutthroat business decision to me.  It just doesn't make sense to me for them to do this given they seem to understand the importance of a good PR look.

My cousin's husband works as an editor/producer for PSE and is being paid working from home right now.  He doesn't really work with Terry but interacts with Kim often.  He's had nothing but glaring reviews for her.

I'll bet.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

In that same generosity of spirit, I would like for you to run out and give a homeless person half of your house and all of your belongings for free.  You have way more than that homeless person does.  Apparently that homeless person is just as entitled to the fruits or your labor, skill, experience, effort, and time as you are...  

False equivalents, nobody is asking Pegulas to give half of his billions.  

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No but Vogl is making it his crusade. A lot of people assume they know everything about the Pegulas, how much money they have and how they should spend it.

If they are doing something illegal then sure, question them. Otherwise life isn't fair.

Can I criticize how they run the Sabres?

18 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Yes, but when we recover, they will hire them back. It is my understanding that their jobs won’t be waiting for these 716 employees. 

There are no guarantees in life (except, ya know.... death and taxes, of course). The future DIL’s hotel (not Marriott) laid off north of 500 people just at her place, and they have no guarantees. As business comes back, they will slowly need more staff. Guess who gets hired first? The best employees they want the most, assuming they are still available. 

So here’s an important life lesson: do the best you can every day and be that person they can’t wait to have back on the payroll. 

EDIT: I tried to read it, but I don’t have the subscription. I should, but I don’t.

Another EDIT: Interesting aside, they were warned to beware of those with extended stays. Some of them could very well be “self quarantining” in a public facility. Stay away from your family.....at the risk of the people serving you every day. Nice........ 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/20/2020 at 5:01 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

1) Good thing you dont judge. You do realize running a business is not a charity.

2) You know for a fact he will rebound from this do you?  Do you have any idea how much debt he has?  The cash burn he has?

Something tells me your business acumen is derived mostly from emotion and  chatrooms. 

Ahh, the heartless and contemptible conservative who derides people... are there no workhouses? Are they not in full operation?

Something tells me you would fit right in during Dickensian times.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

I don’t think you’re familiar with lay off procedures during an emergency. This article specifically states they will not be hired back. 

Very evil in a time like this, if true. 

I’m trying to be polite here..... when things bounce back they are free to hire the best people available, just as the employees are free to go find the first good job they can get. All options are available to all involved. The employees are not required to be available when they are needed again. It’s a two way street. There is nothing “evil” about any of that. Sad? Absolutely! Evil? No.  Where did you read the official “layoff procedures during an emergency”? People get furloughed, it happens. It SUCKS, but it happens. 

I won’t even bother to read the article, because people in the media are often full of agendas, like to twist things, or are just plain incompetent. Does the article say they are banned from being re-hired? Are they not allowed to apply?  IF it says anything like that, question the source. 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Ahh, the heartless and contemptible conservative who derides people... are there no workhouses? Are they not in full operation?

Something tells me you would fit right in during Dickensian times.

we all know of course that liberals  have hearts and conservatives dont. have they no prisons??

6 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

You didn’t even read the article?

Why? It’s happening all across the industry and I don’t trust some media hack to give me a clear picture. I’m not falling for that crap. I will not be led to outrage by some clown. I get how the world works, I don’t need him or her to tell me. They just want clicks. 

Maybe try not to give the media too much credit? 

Information is your friend. Spin is just trying to make a fool of you. 

As I mentioned, our future DIL is on the inside in a huge hotel operation in a huge market. I have better intel from her than some writer who may or may not have an agenda or may just be ignorant. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo619 said:

I don’t think you’re familiar with lay off procedures during an emergency. This article specifically states they will not be hired back. 

Very evil in a time like this, if true. 

It doesn’t say that. It says they aren’t guaranteed to be hired back. They need to re-apply. 

That includes the Buffalo properties owned by Terry and Kim Pegula. They laid off most of their hospitality workers Thursday afternoon, including those at (716) Food and Sport, the Draft Room and the Healthy Scratch at Harborcenter. It’s an unfortunate side effect happening all over the world due to the pandemic.

But it’s the fine print that has left a bad taste for the Pegula Sports & Entertainment food workers. Their jobs won’t be waiting for them when the restaurants reopen.

“As a valuable asset to our hospitality family when business returns to normalcy, we encourage you to come back and apply for an open position. You will be amongst the first considered to re-join our teams,” Dominic Verni, the vice president of hospitality, wrote in the termination letter obtained by The Athletic.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo619 said:

Yeah. That’s bad and sad. Pegula should secure these peoples jobs

Thanks for at least reading the article. ?

This reinforces why I don’t feel it’s worthy of a click. The best people will have jobs. The market will work, even after this horrible mess of a situation. 

If the NFL had a strike or lockout, would you say everyone gets their job back? Or do they have to make the roster? 

Apparently we see the world differently, and that’s OK. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Yeah. That’s bad and sad. Pegula should secure these peoples jobs. 

Thanks for at least reading the article. ?

Well, I did post it so I read it first. As I mentioned earlier, it’s common I think to do it this way? If we displace employees due to work restructure, cost savings etc, they can re-apply but they aren’t guaranteed to be hired back. 

• Thank you (+1) 1