ESPN FA Predictions

Virgil

They have Clowney to the Jets and Winston to the Patriots.  

I know a lot of people don’t like Clowney here, but how would you feel playing against him twice in a Gregg Williams defense.

I’d honestly be more afraid of Dalton in NE than I would be Winston. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/28927692/nfl-experts-predict-landing-spots-free-agents-todd-gurley-jameis-winston-jadeveon-clowney

• Like (+1) 4

Winston (and his bottoming out value) to the Pats May be his best move.  But if Arians couldn’t get him to step consistently forward, I doubt the Pats can.  This is a pride-swallowing situation for him though, no doubt.  Clowney to the Jets seems like a face-saving move for both parties.  Very interesting.  

Clowney is overrated. If it wasn't for that ONE college highlight he had and his cool name -- like if his name was just Bill Smith -- nobody would give a damn about him. His market is bearing that out, I think.

As for New England: The players that would scare me the most at QB for them are Andy Dalton and Cam Newton. I don't know why, buy I just think that if you combined Cam Newton with a creative play-caller and with that New England defense, you'd really have something. As for Dalton: He's actually quite good when given good protection and weapons. New England doesn't really have that right now. IF they got him some linemen and targets, he could do some damage.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

They have Clowney to the Jets and Winston to the Patriots.  

I know a lot of people don’t like Clowney here, but how would you feel playing against him twice in a Gregg Williams defense.

I’d honestly be more afraid of Dalton in NE than I would be Winston. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/28927692/nfl-experts-predict-landing-spots-free-agents-todd-gurley-jameis-winston-jadeveon-clowney

There is something wrong with Winston. I mean he is apparently very intelligent but seems so strange.  Belichick might be able to get something different out of him, but Arians is a pretty good judge of QB talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

Clowney is overrated. If it wasn't for that ONE college highlight he had and his cool name -- like if his name was just Bill Smith -- nobody would give a damn about him. His market is bearing that out, I think.

As for New England: The players that would scare me the most at QB for them are Andy Dalton and Cam Newton. I don't know why, buy I just think that if you combined Cam Newton with a creative play-caller and with that New England defense, you'd really have something. As for Dalton: He's actually quite good when given good protection and weapons. New England doesn't really have that right now. IF they got him some linemen and targets, he could do some damage.

Im not sure Cam has the accuracy and ability to work the option routes the way that Brady did. That offense is centered around option combinations called at the line. I’m not sure that either Newton or Dalton play that kind of game. 

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

I’d disagree on Clowney: he’s an exceptional end but he doesn’t get many sacks. Looking at his other stats, however, he is a top DE in the league. 

Is he worth the same as top end edge rushers? Nope, but he’s still darn good. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

Sorry, but this viewpoint reeks of not having watched him. Just go back and watch either the SF or Cincinnati games from 2019; dude is a wrecking ball.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm fine with the Jets getting Clowney.   He can join the parade of overrated DL that they roll out year after year. 

Of course he's a good player, and will make their solid defense, even tougher, but they'll still head into the draft having no cornerbacks, no OL and minimal weapons for Darnold if that's where they go with their cap space. 

Edited by SCBills

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Sorry, but this viewpoint reeks of not having watched him. Just go back and watch either the SF or Cincinnati games from 2019; dude is a wrecking ball.

Fair enough. 

If if that is the case, though, why do you suppose we’re five days into the tampering period and he’s still unsigned? Shouldn’t teams be tripping over each other to try to land a young, elite pass rusher?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Clowney's talent is undeniable and to the extent he's not getting sacks, he is freeing up others to do so.  He's an athletic freak.  The issues with Clowney are his injury history and his inconsistent work ethic.  Dating all the way back to his college days, he was spectacular when he turned it on, but seemed disinterested at times.

25 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Im not sure Cam has the accuracy and ability to work the option routes the way that Brady did. That offense is centered around option combinations called at the line. I’m not sure that either Newton or Dalton play that kind of game. 

Agreed. My contention is that they won’t be running the same offense they ran with Brady this year, regardless of who is under center. I believe McDaniels could craft an offense that would make Newton quite effective. Now...whether or not he’s a Belichick type of player/worker is a whole other question.

• Like (+1) 1

Count me in the group that wants neither of these things to happen. I don’t want Clowney with the Jets and don’t want Jameis’ talent in New England. I’d much rather Dalton there. He’s a lot less dangerous with a way lower ceiling. I think that the Bills are better than the Pats now. If New England somehow harnessed Jameis’ talent that could flip. If they signed Dalton they can’t pass the Bills IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Clowney's talent is undeniable and to the extent he's not getting sacks, he is freeing up others to do so.  He's an athletic freak.  The issues with Clowney are his injury history and his inconsistent work ethic.  Dating all the way back to his college days, he was spectacular when he turned it on, but seemed disinterested at times.

I agree with your assessment.  The other knock on him is that he is overly susceptible to misdirection and counter plays.  He is quick to move to the play fake, gives up his gap, and gets seal blocked out of the play.  It is his quickness to bite on the first move that makes him so good at defeating non-misdirection plays.  His new team will have to take the good with the bad.  He is more of a free lance player that gets outside the team defense the rest of his team is trying to play.

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fair enough. 

If if that is the case, though, why do you suppose we’re five days into the tampering period and he’s still unsigned? Shouldn’t teams be tripping over each other to try to land a young, elite pass rusher?

It’s definitely a health concern. Teams aren’t willing to take the elite money risk without a physical.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fair enough. 

I’ll take that one. He wanted to be the highest paid DE of all-time. The market hasn’t shaped up that way. That doesn’t mean he hasn’t gotten big offers. It just means he hasn’t gotten the one that he wanted.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Agree with you on Dalton. I think he can be very good. Also believe Clowney is overrated.

55 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I’d disagree on Clowney: he’s an exceptional end but he doesn’t get many sacks. Looking at his other stats, however, he is a top DE in the league. 

Is he worth the same as top end edge rushers? Nope, but he’s still darn good. 

I thought exceptional DE's get sacks. Isn't that what makes them - exceptional?

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Count me in the group that wants neither of these things to happen. I don’t want Clowney with the Jets and don’t want Jameis’ talent in New England. I’d much rather Dalton there. He’s a lot less dangerous with a way lower ceiling. I think that the Bills are better than the Pats now. If New England somehow harnessed Jameis’ talent that could flip. If they signed Dalton they can’t pass the Bills IMO.

Winston to NE wouldn't scare me. Our D would continue Jameis' penchant for turning it over. Very Fitzy in that regard.

Dalton poses more of a threat, imo. 

2 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Winston to NE wouldn't scare me. Our D would continue Jameis' penchant for turning it over. Very Fitzy in that regard.

Dalton poses more of a threat, imo. 

I guess that I look at the Bills as better than New England right now. Jameis absolutely has a higher ceiling and lower floor than Dalton. To me the only way that they can pass the Bills is if Jameis hits that ceiling (or Cam for that matter). Dalton as Dalton isn’t good enough. I’d rather the Patriots play it safe and sign a Dalton (or Brissett shakes free). I’d rather that they sign a little safer option than a home run threat.