NBA suspends season due to coronavirus

brianthomas

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

LOL. "I wont die, so what should I care about spreading the disease?"

If I got sick I would quarantine myself but I am not going to stop living my life if I am healthy. I am not panicking over this either. So far there hasn't been any cases of it near me. The ones that have showed here in Canada are mostly from people coming from other countries. Even in the U.S. its not as widespread as people think it is. I was just in Myrtle Beach last week and never heard of any confirmed cases down there. Right now it seems to be in pockets like here in Canada. For the most part it seems to be from people flying into Canada or the U.S. from Europe. 

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

If I got sick I would quarantine myself but I am not going to stop living my life if I am healthy. I am not panicking over this either. So far there hasn't been any cases of it near me. The ones that have showed here in Canada are mostly from people coming from other countries. Even in the U.S. its not as widespread as people think it is. I was just in Myrtle Beach last week and never heard of any confirmed cases down there. Right now it seems to be in pockets like here in Canada. For the most part it seems to be from people flying into Canada or the U.S. from Europe. 

You do realize there arent any "confirmed cases" because we dont have the tests, and havent been testing people. Right?

It's like me saying I've never tested positive for weed, because I've never been tested, even though I smoke it regularly.

Your take on the disease, how it spreads, and the current state of its spread is naive at best.

Quarantining yourself AFTER you show symptoms is already too late. That means you've been a carrier for a week already and have probably infected at least a couple other people.

This isnt a one-off fluke terrorist attack, like 9/11, where you can say "Im going to keep living my life!" and be right. The time to lay low is NOW.

I'm not panicking or trying to be dramatic either. We're all home with a closed work campus and I'm sure it's already spread through Atlanta, but I'm not panicking, just being realistic about it. A little bit of upfront, proactive prevention will go a long way in the end.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You do realize there arent any "confirmed cases" because we dont have the tests, and havent been testing people. Right?

It's like me saying I've never tested positive for weed, because I've never been tested, even though I smoke it regularly.

Your take on the disease, how it spreads, and the current state of its spread is naive at best.

Quarantining yourself AFTER you show symptoms is already too late. That means you've been a carrier for a week already and have probably infected at least a couple other people.

This isnt a one-off fluke terrorist attack, like 9/11, where you can say "Im going to keep living my life!" and be right. The time to lay low is NOW.

I'm not panicking or trying to be dramatic either. We're all home with a closed work campus and I'm sure it's already spread through Atlanta, but I'm not panicking, just being realistic about it. A little bit of upfront, proactive prevention will go a long way in the end. 

I know it spreads easily but there really is no way to combat this then to have everyone lay low and don't go out til this passes. IMO this could have easily been prevented. As soon as it became an outbreak in China, the U.S. and Canada should have shut the borders to any incoming flights from there, including U.S citizens. 

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Really?  We have tested about 10,000 people.  You can only get tested if you are experiencing symptoms AND had contact with someone confirmed to test positive or someone who has traveled outside the country.   Which means if have symptoms and don't meet the other requirements I'm pretty sure you don't have COVID according to the official stats.  If anything, cases are under reported. 

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

I know it spreads easily but there really is no way to combat this then to have everyone lay low and don't go out til this passes. IMO this could have easily been prevented. As soon as it became an outbreak in China, the U.S. and Canada should have shut the borders to any incoming flights from there, including U.S citizens. 

Jrb: The only way to combat this is to lay low.

Also Jrb: I'm going to Disney Land!!!! Those CDC eggheads can't tell me what to do.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

as mentioned, the issue is people have no idea if they have it and may be traveling.  you may even be more likely to have it than me after traveling back and forth from myrtle beach.  look at the numbers.  infected go from very few to skyrocketing after a few weeks.

i just found out that a family member of an employee is being tested for it right now.  why?  she was traveling 2 weeks ago on a cruise and now isn't feeling great.  no covid symptoms, but it's enough to test her.

Just now, Jrb1979 said:

Right. So you agree. DONT "keep living your life". Cancel plans for the next week and stay inside. Catch up on some reading, or the tv show you have been wanting to binge.

Too late for what the governments should have done. Can only do what we can now.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Right. So you agree. DONT "keep living your life". Cancel plans for the next week and stay inside. Catch up on some reading, or the tv show you have been wanting to binge.

Too late for what the governments should have done. Can only do what we can now.

I don't have any plans to travel til May, so I am hoping it calms down by then. I am hoping since from what we know that it's a respiratory virus similar to the cold but worse, that warm weather slows it down. 

7 minutes ago, teef said:

as mentioned, the issue is people have no idea if they have it and may be traveling.  you may even be more likely to have it than me after traveling back and forth from myrtle beach.  look at the numbers.  infected go from very few to skyrocketing after a few weeks.

i just found out that a family member of an employee is being tested for it right now.  why?  she was traveling 2 weeks ago on a cruise and now isn't feeling great.  no covid symptoms, but it's enough to test her.

I would be more worried about me being infected if so flew down but I drove so I am not as worried. 

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Really?  We have tested about 10,000 people.  You can only get tested if you are experiencing symptoms AND had contact with someone confirmed to test positive or someone who has traveled outside the country.   Which means if have symptoms and don't meet the other requirements I'm pretty sure you don't have COVID according to the official stats.  If anything, cases are under reported. 

Jrb: The only way to combat this is to lay low.

Also Jrb: I'm going to Disney Land!!!! Those CDC eggheads can't tell me what to do.

Like I posted I am planning on laying low for now but I don't plan on canceling my trip in May. 

43 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It’s stated 60 million were effected by H1N1 in the US about 10 years ago, the threshold of being included is extremely low of that was the case

I know, right?  Kinda makes you think its all bullsh!t....

Shutting down the NBA was prudent and justified but they've gone too far suspending the NHL.  At least the Sabres won't miss the playoffs again.  The drought is over!!!!

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Shutting down the NBA was prudent and justified but they've gone too far suspending the NHL.  At least the Sabres won't miss the playoffs again.  The drought is over!!!!

Too early to determine if this is overreaction

i hope we can look back on it and say it was overreaction 

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

Just pointing out that there's a bit of a contradiction.

You correctly say "I know it spreads easily...no way to combat this than to have everyone lay low and don't go out"

But earlier you said "If I got sick I would quarantine myself but I am not going to stop living my life if I am healthy"

There is a contradiction there. 

Either you recognize that we are past the point of containment and we are into mitigation - laying low- as our only strategy to "flatten the curve" and avoid overwhelming our hospitals

OR

you take the attitude "I'm not going to stop living my life if I am healthy" in which case you are out, encountering other infected people who don't know it, and being one yourself for a while before you show symptoms

Mitigation means stay the ***** home unless you are going out to procure food, medical supplies, or for medical reasons, and "this means you" (all of us).

That is also the best way to stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Too early to determine if this is overreaction

i hope we can look back on it and say it was overreaction 

Bit of a catch-22 though, no? On the one hand if measures like this help dramatically flatten the curve or outright cut off further spread, then the knee-jerk reaction may be, there was too much crying wolf—conversely, spread continues unabated, it will have been not enough, too late, etc.

22 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

How’s the saying go? 0-0 going into the 2nd half! Nobody can take what might have been, away now 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Bit of a catch-22 though, no? On the one hand if measures like this help dramatically flatten the curve or outright cut off further spread, then the knee-jerk reaction may be, there was too much crying wolf—conversely, spread continues unabated, it will have been not enough, too late, etc.

How’s the saying go? 0-0 going into the 2nd half! Nobody can take what might have been, away now 

I go with realizing that you have to live and make decisions in real time, and hope those making them are prudent and updated and free of contaminating bias.

and about a tenth up to half the population, depends on the topic, are total jagoffs who will complain about EVeRYTHiNG during and after the fact, they do nothing for anyone ever

and we know who they are on this board, especially at PPP...

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

I took my daughter to her long awaited first Warriors game two weeks ago.  Sure glad I didn't delay it any further!

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Thank goodness.  Anything to spare us the endless Sabre misery.

Edited by KD in CA