Bills pre-draft private visits - update: via videoconference

23 hours ago, Lurker said:

LOL!.   He's a poor man's Josh Allen....

NFL.com Overview

It's easy to tell that the Green Bay native favors quarterbacks like Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers when you watch his tape. Unfortunately, while he has similar zip to the Packer legends, he's nowhere near as accurate and lacks any semblance of touch. Morgan is very capable of making impressive throws to all areas of the field, but his violent release and inconsistent footwork hinder functional ball placement and accuracy. His lack of pocket mobility and instincts make him too easy for defensive coordinators to assault with a variety of blitz packages. He's a tough guy with a big arm and the 2018 tape is the one to watch, but QB3 may be his ceiling.

Sounds like a good QB to go with Allen to his QB whisperer Palmer.

New England has also been talking to him.

Outside of Simmons, Davis probably  has the highest upside of any LB in the draft .  Excellent sideline to sideline speed and he's known for hustle on every play. 

Evans is a speed  and track star at the RB position. D Jeremiah  is a big fan of his. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, DJB said:

Evans NFL.com draft write up sounds tailor made to compliment Singletary:

Overview

Slashing outside-zone runner with glide in his stride and ability to run with elusiveness and creativity. Evans is a little undersized and might be viewed as a change-of-pace option, but he appears to have the three-down skill set to handle committee carries. He can run with patience, but has the loose hips and agile feet to plant-and-go in a hurry. He sees the field and does a nice job of setting up and eluding tacklers with lateral cuts or stacked moves. While he's confident in space, Evans lacks the commitment and finishing force to make a living inside the tackles. His third-down and kick-return versatility increases the likelihood that Evans will hear his name called in the middle rounds with a chance to become a solid RB2.

58 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s good they need to add both. AJ Klein is older and Gaines/Norman/Levi aren’t the future at CB2

Agreed. Now is the time to look at their replacements that we can draft, and develop without having to make them a starter right away.

So nice having depth on this roster. 

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Davis-Gaither, Hall, and Orr are all potential Milano replacements if he doesn’t re-sign. All undersized guys with speed and coverage skills to play WILL. 

And as others have said, corner and safety look to be a focus. 

I think Vosean Joseph from last year could also be a potential Milano replacement (hopefully won’t be necessary as I really like Milano on this defense) but I don’t see him in that SAM role. Won’t know much until we see him more. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Lurker said:

Evans NFL.com draft write up sounds tailor made to compliment Singletary:

Overview

Slashing outside-zone runner with glide in his stride and ability to run with elusiveness and creativity. Evans is a little undersized and might be viewed as a change-of-pace option, but he appears to have the three-down skill set to handle committee carries. He can run with patience, but has the loose hips and agile feet to plant-and-go in a hurry. He sees the field and does a nice job of setting up and eluding tacklers with lateral cuts or stacked moves. While he's confident in space, Evans lacks the commitment and finishing force to make a living inside the tackles. His third-down and kick-return versatility increases the likelihood that Evans will hear his name called in the middle rounds with a chance to become a solid RB2.

So he does is best work outside the tackles (whereas Singletary does his best work inside), has the speed (which our HB corps currently lacks) to be a home run threat, AND he can return kicks?

He does indeed sound like a perfect fit for what the Bills are looking for. 

What does everyone think in terms of probable draft round for Evans? 3rd? 4th?

45 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would rather wait on a RB. If he’s there in the 3rd I would do it. 

I'll say there is a zero percent chance Dobbins is there in the 3rd. Hes highly thought of by many. 

Now I do see positive arguments for both sides to wait on drafting an RB.

The depth at that position is solid so waiting on that position does make sense. 

But on the other side;

Someone made a great point on twitter. 

If the Bills go RB at 54 they could conceivably get the #1 RB rated on their board in round 2.

Beane has also mentioned multiple times about needing the offence to take a step. Why not grab a guy who's an upgrade over Singletary and could really elevate this offence and help Allen? 

We all want Allen to take another step and if Dobbins helps to do that it's a smart choice. :)

I have Dobbins my #1 RB and I love the fact we "might" be able to nab him in round 2. There are many RB needy teams though just before us in that range so if I had to guess he won't be there but I'dove to pick him. 

More stuff on Dobbins:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DJB said:

I'll say there is a zero percent chance Dobbins is there in the 3rd. Hes highly thought of by many. 

Now I do see positive arguments for both sides to wait on drafting an RB.

The depth at that position is solid so waiting on that position does make sense. 

But on the other side;

Someone made a great point on twitter. 

If the Bills go RB at 54 they could conceivably get the #1 RB rated on their board in round 2.

Beane has also mentioned multiple times about needing the offence to take a step. Why not grab a guy who's an upgrade over Singletary and could really elevate this offence and help Allen? 

We all want Allen to take another step and if Dobbins helps to do that it's a smart choice. :)

I have Dobbins my #1 RB and I love the fact we "might" be able to nab him in round 2. There are many RB needy teams though just before us in that range so if I had to guess he won't be there but I'dove to pick him. 

More stuff on Dobbins:

I have been watching Dobbins play since HS. I’ve seen every snap he played in college. I like him, obviously . He’s a tough football player, versatile and a great person. I would take him but not at 54. He may not be there In the 3rd but if he is I would take him there. He didn’t run at the combine and then had no pro day. Teams haven’t been able to examine his ankle. He had one of the best run blocking OLs in the country. RBs are going to come off the board slowly imo. He’s Daniel jeremiah’s 4th ranked RB. I would take Akers before him if i had a choice. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I saw an excellent graph on twitter showing every team's visits by each position, can someone teach me how to embed a tweet? lol

Just paste the link into your post and it should pop up with some sort of message at the bottom and if you click that, it'll embed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have been watching Dobbins play since HS. I’ve seen every snap he played in college. I like him, obviously . He’s a tough football player, versatile and a great person. I would take him but not at 54. He may not be there In the 3rd but if he is I would take him there. He didn’t run at the combine and then had no pro day. Teams haven’t been able to examine his ankle. He had one of the best run blocking OLs in the country. RBs are going to come off the board slowly imo. He’s Daniel jeremiah’s 4th ranked RB. I would take Akers before him if i had a choice. 

Fair enough. I've heard many that love Akers. I do to. Hes my #4. 

So for those that discount Dobbins lack of combine numbers. Check this out. OSU do their own freshman combine. Take a look at Dobbins numbers. They are spectacular.

(Sorry it's my own tweets here. Not intentional in any way)

(For those that dont want to click on link or zoom in on the chart)

Just now, DJB said:

Fair enough. I've heard many that love Akers. I do to. Hes my #4. 

So for those that discount Dobbins lack of combine numbers. Check this out. OSU do their own freshman combine. Take a look at Dobbins numbers. They are spectacular.

(Sorry it's my own tweets here. Not intentional in any way)

(For those that dont want to click on link or zoom in on the chart)

Those old numbers aren’t really relevant on dobbins when you watch him play. He’s fast enough though. I’m not personally discounting him on not running. It was a good decision at the time thinking he would have a pro day and was still recovering from the ankle. But the fact remains that teams lack the info on him that they have on others and it could impact him.

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Those old numbers aren’t really relevant on dobbins when you watch him play. He’s fast enough though. I’m not personally discounting him on not running. It was a good decision at the time thinking he would have a pro day and was still recovering from the ankle. But the fact remains that teams lack the info on him that they have on others and it could impact him.

Fair enough.  I appreciate the discussion! :)

Thanks @DCOrange

Based on our visits and roster, I think we can rule out any TE's getting picked by us. It's a terrible class and Beane was smart to draft two last year.

The WR visits are probably skewed by a lot of 1st round research prior to the Diggs trade but I still think we grab one later on, there will be plenty of WR talent available later in the draft.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

The WR visits are probably skewed by a lot of 1st round research prior to the Diggs trade but I still think we grab one later on, there will be plenty of WR talent available later in the draft.

I've somewhat discounted the WR visits for exactly what you said about Diggs. 

Looking closely at the other numbers are very interesting. 

1 hour ago, CapeBreton said:

Seven teams looking ad RBs to a greater extent than the Bills. 

If they're going to get one of the top 5-6, they'll have some competition.   And will likely have to be aggressive to get whoever they may be targeting...

On 4/15/2020 at 11:12 AM, DJB said:

I've somewhat discounted the WR visits for exactly what you said about Diggs. 

Looking closely at the other numbers are very interesting. 

I think the Bills will still draft a WR at some point. I think they should draft two.

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I think the Bills will still draft a WR at some point. I think they should draft two.

No question we need to tap into the WR depth of the draft and take one

Just now, Mark Vader said:

They definitely will imo.  They’ve done a TON of scouting work on this WR class so I’ll look for a steal that we can attribute to their work in the fall. 

On 4/15/2020 at 1:46 PM, DJB said:

Fair enough.  I appreciate the discussion! :)

Tbh I could see McDermott falling in football love with Dobbins. He looks closely at the person inside the helmet. Dobbins story is pretty remarkable and his work ethic will likely tie McD in knots.

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They definitely will imo.  They’ve done a TON of scouting work on this WR class so I’ll look for a steal that we can attribute to their work in the fall. 

Tbh I could see McDermott falling in football love with Dobbins. He looks closely at the person inside the helmet. Dobbins story is pretty remarkable and his work ethic will likely tie McD in knots.

Because we have such a veteran group and how we love to have young guys being lead by solid vets, taking a WR with a great skill set that's maybe a bit raw and unrefined makes too much sense now that we dont need that WR to come in and be a day 1 starter.

In terms of Dobbins, that's what I love about this FO. They value character and getting good people.  

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I love Dobbins I just look at the board and don’t see a way he makes it to 54. 

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Agreed. And I’m paraphrasing but even before the Coronavirus hit in the States, I heard Beane on WGR, and he basically said that this class is super deep and that you’ll be able to find guys deep into day 3 that will take jobs from NFL vets. I think they draft at least one more guy. I doubt they’d do it at 54, unless somehow a guy like Jeudy fell that far (which obviously is not happening). But at some point they’ll get one.  With New England in the decline, we need to look at our contemporary competition, Kansas City & Baltimore. We need an offensive array that can keep up with those teams. 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the RBs are going to come off the board slowly 

I hope so. The teams I really see possibly looking for one early on... 

Miami- But they need everything else besides CB. Round 2 could be a definite possibility. Would see them going for a pass catching back to compliment the spread under Gailey. I would see QB, OT, WR, DT, ILB and S as more dire needs for them right now. 

Tampa Bay- They also need O-Line help. Could see this as a spot in Round 2. I think they’d be looking for a Swift/Edwards-Helaire type in order to help Brady in the screen game. 

Atlanta- but they’re Supposedly looking to move up to the top-10 for a defensive player.

Baltimore- but I expect them to get Jackson some targets and then also get some reinforcements in the trenches. Yanda’a retirement need to be addressed. 

Kansas City- But with how explosive their offense already is I’d expect them to try to help either in the trenches on offense or somewhere on the defense first. 

Detroit- Definitely a possibility in round 2. But they have plenty of needs besides a running back so who knows. 

Pittsburgh- Connor had a down year. Snell and Samuel aren’t bad but aren’t starters. With no 1st I don’t see the Steelers going for a back early.

Los Angeles Rams- This team will definitely need a new lead back. Idk if they’ll go after it in round 2, but if they are, we have the ability to jump a few spots ahead of them without much trouble. 

All in all they may be some of the most purely talented players in this draft, but I do believe running backs will be slow to move off the board and we could see one of Dobbins Taylor or Edwards-Helaire when we pick at 54.