Jaguars to decline DT Marcell Dareus' option

HOUSE

On 2/24/2020 at 5:27 PM, HOUSE said:
Image result for Marcell Dareus

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  

• By Jelani Scott NFL.com
  • Published: Feb. 24, 2020 at 12:06 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 24, 2020 at 02:50 p.m.

Marcell Dareus' time with the Jacksonville Jaguars has presumably come to an end.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that the Jags intend to decline the defensive tackle's $19.5 million option. Jacksonville had until Feb. 25 to make the decision.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102813/article/roundup-jaguars-to-decline-dt-marcell-dareus-option

Can't be.  He was solely responsible for like the greatest run defense Jacksonville has ever known.  I'm sure I read that here.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/24/2020 at 5:34 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Also his play has regressed the last two years in Jacksonville, he’s not playing at a high level anymore. That defense had a shot to go to the super bowl in 17 and they got killed by bad QB play from Bortles 

They had a Super Bowl bound team in 2017. It was derailed by an officials whistle that took away what would have been a game sealing fumble return for TD vs Pats.

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I think more people complained that it was a strange trade to make in the middle of the season when the team was playing well. They went in a tail spin after that trade and their run defense got exposed in the process. 

I wouldn’t say it’s a win or loss. 

Meh. Bills made the playoffs that season. They still have two draft picks to use that ultimately resulted from that trade.

Dareus, meanwhile, made about a half a season of impact for the Jaguars, did nothing the next two seasons, and is now being cut. 

I still say the people that freaked out about it when it happened were -- predictably -- overreacting and have been proven wrong. Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Meh. Bills made the playoffs that season. They still have two draft picks to use that ultimately resulted from that trade.

Dareus, meanwhile, made about a half a season of impact for the Jaguars, did nothing the next two seasons, and is now being cut. 

I still say the people that freaked out about it when it happened were -- predictably -- overreacting and have been proven wrong. Just my opinion.

you realize who you're quoting...right?

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I think more people complained that it was a strange trade to make in the middle of the season when the team was playing well. They went in a tail spin after that trade and their run defense got exposed in the process. 

It is most certainly not a "loss."  If you really think the Bills -- both then and now -- would have been better off keeping Dareus, I don't know what to tell you.

18 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I would say it’s a win only because it allowed them to get out from under a terrible contract.  Trading Marcel was more about getting a horrible (Thanks Whaley) contract off the books and getting a player who didn’t seem to be buying into the system.  

They were realistic with what the 2017 team was and were looking toward the future and getting the team in a better cap situation.  

Would he have been better at DT than Adolphus Washington (Thanks Whaley).  Yeah probably but I don’t think Marcel makes much of a difference in the W-L column.  

They bit the bullet and got rid of an underperforming, overpaid player who didn’t want to be in Buffalo.  

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Somehow, the Jags have still won more playoff games than the Bills have since the Dareus trade.

Just now, Logic said:

Definitely because of Dareus.

Well, he was on their roster for those two wins....

3 hours ago, eball said:

It is most certainly not a "loss."  If you really think the Bills -- both then and now -- would have been better off keeping Dareus, I don't know what to tell you.

I don’t know if the only two options were trading Dareus mid season for a maximum cap penalty or keeping him for 3 years.

14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

You did.

I don't remember that. I do remember saying the Jags have won more playoff games than the Bills have since that trade. It's a nice little fact the "LOL Jags" crowd needed reminding. Especially when they were trying to paint the Jags trading for Dareus as a bad move, when they got a talented D-lineman for a sixth rounder to add to a team only a few minutes away from playing in the Super Bowl, which is much closer than the Bills have sniffed since 1993.

Perspective is nice sometimes.

Edited by BringBackOrton