XFL Opening Weekend, Matchups and where to watch.

MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

This Silvers kid has some potential, never heard of him though.

Never heard of it, how does that work?

I still don't have a great grip on the rules of it, but the basic gist is that there's four goalposts at each end; you want to get the ball between the middle two goalposts (6 points). The outer goalposts are 1 point so the defense will sometimes purposefully put the ball through their own outer goalpost to sacrifice 1 point instead of allowing 6. You move the ball in one of three ways: (1) dropkicking it to a teammate, (2) punching the ball to a teammate, and (3) dribbling the ball (and keep in mind it's shaped like a rugby ball so not super easy). And it's played on a field roughly twice the size of an NFL field.

Here's a highlight video:

Just now, DCOrange said:

I still don't have a great grip on the rules of it, but the basic gist is that there's four goalposts at each end; you want to get the ball between the middle two goalposts (6 points). The outer goalposts are 1 point so the defense will sometimes purposefully put the ball through their own outer goalpost to sacrifice 1 point instead of allowing 6. You move the ball in one of three ways: (1) dropkicking it to a teammate, (2) punching the ball to a teammate, and (3) dribbling the ball (and keep in mind it's shaped like a rugby ball so not super easy). And it's played on a field roughly twice the size of an NFL field.

Here's a highlight video:

Yuk no thanks, sounds dumb and prefer the mental side of real football.

1 minute ago, Real McNasty said:

Safer for players and penalties are basically gone. True skill returner could really be a game changer like a Dante Hall.

I think it creates a little strategy for coverage as well. Some attack and some dropping back, if the returner gets through that first wave it’s a touchdown. I haven’t seen anyone really dropping back yet they all seem to engage right away. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

its not a big deal anymore.

It isn’t but on NFL telecasts it’s still kinda hush hush.  You never hear the Tv analyst gushing about how Seattle taking their FG off the board after roughing the kicker, cost fans the over and Seattle covering the spread 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I like how the clock keeps running so you dont have to run the ball to burn clock.

Except in the 2Min comeback period. Then the ball stops after every play. I like that too because it keeps the entire field still in play. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

First game was fun. Announcers were good. I was entertained. Was good enough football for me to tune in. 

My expectations versus what happened I thought it was fantastic. I expected worse tackling and less pass offense. I could watch more games like that one 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Except in the 2Min comeback period. Then the ball stops after every play. I like that too because it keeps the entire field still in play. 

definitely, allows for a solid comeback and adds drama which makes any sport more exciting. Basically burn through the BS and extend the excitement, makes sense to me.