Cover 1 evaluation of Laviska Shenault and in-depth overview of injury history

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

hate to see a guy that’s worked his whole life land in a spot like this literally weeks before the biggest day of his life 

Absolutely. I feel for the guy and hope for a full recovery and a long run in the NFL. 

Now, if he’s drafted by the Patriots*, I wouldn’t mind a decade of bad hamstrings, but that’s different, right? 

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

idk most of his measurables seem to put him up there, and he did average something like 9 catches per game? I can see why some would have him projected there. I tend to agree with you though and I never wanted him for the Bills

Last year he may have averaged 9 catchers a game but he was their only target pretty much. He was gonna get the ball and he only averaged like 11.8 ypc last year and 13 this

Combine that with his not amazing top end speed and pedestrian numbers over 3 years and I can't see him in round 1

Even pre combine

I guess just trusting my own eyeball test, I just don't see the explosiveness and game speed necessary for Laviska to be a solid WR1 in the NFL. I think he dominated in a weak conference and will be a decent WR2 in the NFL. We already have that. We need more than a gadget player who can dominate Colorado State or Stanford. We need a bona fide #1. We must hit a homerun on whatever WR we pick, not just get a "value" pick or we will be a perennial wildcard team IMO.

Truthfully I would take Higgins and even Jefferson before this kid. I bet Jefferson will not get past the Pats if Brady stays.  All he does is make plays. That kid is a young Andre Reed sneaky good prospect. Higgins is very productive and has that length and stride that reminds me of Lofton. Now I am not saying either will have those careers, but I highly doubt either makes it past the first 15 picks of round 2. 

This is a league that rewards teams with the most playmakers on the most sides of the ball. We need to take a WR #1 unless we are absolutely in love with the DE prospects left. If we are waiting on round 2/3 for a WR then I would go with Mims from Baylor followed by the big kid from USC because I think they better prospects.  

Either way you watch the games on many of these guys and many look good and bad depending on opponent. 

I trust their Front Office, so now it is almost time to see what they do with FAs to see exactly what holes are truly left for the draft. We all know WR will be a draft need but everything else in round 1 is dependent on FA.

The only way I take BPA this year is if the BPA is light years ahead of the WR1 on the board.

4 hours ago, wppete said:

I think Beane will definitely not draft him in the 1st round,  he might even pass on him with our second pick and then trade back into the late 2nd round and get him if he is still on the board. something similar to what happened to DK Metcalf last year. 

I really want eithe Henry Ruggs or Klavon Chaisson in the 1st round. I hope one of them slips to us. 

Those are my two. Could see us moving up to 16 or so in order to get one. Ruggs in particular just puts this offense in a different category than it was last season. A true home run threat. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was already a second route pick in my opinion and the combine solidified it. Maybe falls to late second

Agreed late second now. Thats 2 core injuries for a guy who is supposed to be more physical than finesse. Tough to run wildcat or sweeps when you have core issues. He won't be running over Colorado State DBs anymore.

Watching him running out of the wildcat makes me want to compare him to Alvin Kamara rather than an NFL receiver. What makes Kamara so great is his ability to catch 80 balls out of the backfield. They even line him up in the slot or even out wide sometimes. I think Kamara ran a 4.53, which is pretty close to Laviska. He’s also thick at 5’11” 215 compared to Shenault’s 222 (albeit 6’2”)
I think he can help an offense score points if he’s used in a variety of ways. 

Shenault didn't look to be in great shape at the combine. He definitely isn't close to as lean as most of the WRs there, even sporting a little extra weight around the midsection.

That said, I remember we all knocked Alshon Jeffery when he showed up with a belly, and he turned out ok.

18 hours ago, Locomark said:

Agreed late second now. Thats 2 core injuries for a guy who is supposed to be more physical than finesse. Tough to run wildcat or sweeps when you have core issues. He won't be running over Colorado State DBs anymore.

1 core injury. It’s the same one he played with all season. Core muscle surgery will actually help him, maybe not in the draft, but when he’s back in the field. This is the surgery nick Bosa, Mitch Morse, and Cole Beasley had. Imo it’s better that he decided tj have it that continue to play through it. Theoretically He should be more explosive. I always thought he was a 2-3 round pick though and that’s fine.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...