Cover 1 evaluation of Laviska Shenault and in-depth overview of injury history

YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Dkollidas said:

I really really liked him.

I do believe he won’t go until 3rd round. 

As the draft comes closer, the stock of others combined with his medical will push him further and further down boards. 

I mean that sucks for him...but it actually might be good for us.

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Dude cant stay healthy.  Disappointing and troubling. 

Mid to late 2nd probably now

Well this is the injury he’s had, not a new one. Originally wasn’t going to do surgery but now he is, which should be really good for him. His explosiveness will really improve 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well this is the injury he’s had, not a new one. Originally wasn’t going to do surgery but now he is, which should be really good for him. His explosiveness will really improve 

Fair enough, but hes been dinged up frequently before this injury as well. 

Regardless it will likely drop him somewhat in the draft 

33 minutes ago, DJB said:

I'd gladly take him in the 3rd. But his initial 1st round status was always ludicrous to me

idk most of his measurables seem to put him up there, and he did average something like 9 catches per game? I can see why some would have him projected there. I tend to agree with you though and I never wanted him for the Bills

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

So earlier, it was reported that Shenault has osteitis pubis and did not require surgery.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28686020/colorado-wr-laviska-shenault-need-surgery-nagging-injury

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteitis_pubis

Until recently, there was no specific treatment for osteitis pubis. To treat the pain and inflammation caused by osteitis pubis, antiinflammatory medication, stretching, and strengthening of the stabilizing muscles are often prescribed. In Argentina, Topol et al. have studied the use of glucose and lidocaine injections in 72 athletes with chronic groin/abdominal pain who had failed a conservative treatment trial. The treatment consisted of monthly injections to ligament attachments on the pubis. Their pain had lasted an average of 11 months, ranging from 3–60 months. The average number of treatments received was 3, ranging from 1–6. Their pain improved by 82%. Six athletes did not improve, and the remaining 66 returned to unrestricted sport in an average of 3 months.[4]

Surgical intervention - such as wedge resection of the pubis symphysis - is sometimes attempted in severe cases,[5] but its success rate is not high, and the surgery itself may lead to later pelvic problems. Recent advances in the field of hip arthroscopy have introduced endoscopic resection of the ***** symphysis which has a potentially higher success rate with less complications[6].

Osteitis pubis, if not treated early and correctly, can more often than not end a sporting individual's career, or give them an uncertain playing future.

Osteitis pubis is what Kolten Listenbee was diagnosed with, eventually having a second surgery to insert a metal plate which effectively ended his career.

The problem is apparently that the bone actually erodes.

VERY nervous about the news Shenault will now have surgery.

Surgery for osteitis pubis is a different matter than a core muscle surgery.

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/20/2020 at 6:20 AM, Dkollidas said:

I think we might be surprised by how far Shenault slips.

Injuries, play style and just overall how he fits into a scheme could push his value down. 

I think Beane will definitely not draft him in the 1st round,  he might even pass on him with our second pick and then trade back into the late 2nd round and get him if he is still on the board. something similar to what happened to DK Metcalf last year. 

I really want eithe Henry Ruggs or Klavon Chaisson in the 1st round. I hope one of them slips to us. 

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So earlier, it was reported that Shenault has osteitis pubis and did not require surgery.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28686020/colorado-wr-laviska-shenault-need-surgery-nagging-injury

Until recently, there was no specific treatment for osteitis pubis. To treat the pain and inflammation caused by osteitis pubis, antiinflammatory medication, stretching, and strengthening of the stabilizing muscles are often prescribed. In Argentina, Topol et al. have studied the use of glucose and lidocaine injections in 72 athletes with chronic groin/abdominal pain who had failed a conservative treatment trial. The treatment consisted of monthly injections to ligament attachments on the pubis. Their pain had lasted an average of 11 months, ranging from 3–60 months. The average number of treatments received was 3, ranging from 1–6. Their pain improved by 82%. Six athletes did not improve, and the remaining 66 returned to unrestricted sport in an average of 3 months.[4]

Surgical intervention - such as wedge resection of the pubis symphysis - is sometimes attempted in severe cases,[5] but its success rate is not high, and the surgery itself may lead to later pelvic problems. Recent advances in the field of hip arthroscopy have introduced endoscopic resection of the ***** symphysis which has a potentially higher success rate with less complications[6].

Osteitis pubis, if not treated early and correctly, can more often than not end a sporting individual's career, or give them an uncertain playing future.

Osteitis pubis is what Kolten Listenbee was diagnosed with, eventually having a second surgery to insert a metal plate which effectively ended his career.

hate to see a guy that’s worked his whole life land in a spot like this literally weeks before the biggest day of his life 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hope it works out for him. Seems like a good kid 

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

idk most of his measurables seem to put him up there, and he did average something like 9 catches per game? I can see why some would have him projected there. I tend to agree with you though and I never wanted him for the Bills

Most of his catches were near the line of scrimmage and entirely manufactured for him. He also played in a weak conference against inferior competition.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Injuries fall in two categories for me for the most part . Ones that can heal and have no lasting affects like a broken bone. Others that have the ability to become lingering issues. The turf toe and torn labrum concern me. I haven’t done as much research on the ostetis pubis issue, but it too sounds like something that can reoccur. 
Shenault May go on to a 15 year career and be amazing. Or he could end up like Watkins. Watkins has always been a 2/3 wr with tons of play making ability but can’t put it all together  for one reason or the other. 
Personally I am cheering for Laviskis. Kid has been through enough. 

• Like (+1) 1