Jump to content
FluffHead

Greg Olsen visiting Bills, Redskins, Seahawks

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Absence from the media (ie, burried in the wastelands of Buffalo) would turn instant job offers into, "hey, I remember him!  Whatever happened to that guy?  Didn't he play for Carolina?".. 

He already has a NFL Network job that he works through the offseason. He can go to TV now. Playing in Buffalo or Seattle or Washington has zero impact on what his TV career will be. He’s really, really good on TV. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

 

As a larger media market, Washington makes way more sense than Buffalo.    He's looking at what will give him greater visability heading off into that future TV analyst job--being an ex-Redskin or an ex-Bill.    No contest, really...

There is always the view that he is an ex player from a crappy team if he goes to the skins... big market or not, not a good look, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

 

As a larger media market, Washington makes way more sense than Buffalo.    He's looking at what will give him greater visability heading off into that future TV analyst job--being an ex-Redskin or an ex-Bill.    No contest, really...

 

So if Olsen keeps playing, its because he wants to improve his visibility for future TV analyst jobs? Interesting take. 

Edited by BillsFan2313

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

There is always the view that he is an ex player from a crappy team if he goes to the skins... big market or not, not a good look, 

So if he's an ex-player who ended his career hanging on in the second smallest NFL market, that's a good look?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lurker said:

So if he's an ex-player who ended his career hanging on in the second smallest NFL market, that's a good look?...


DOESNT MATTER. He already works in TV and is GOOD at it. 
 

he will keep playing because he WANTS to keep playing. 
 

Buffalo and Seattle give him the best shot at the post season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

A lot of ex-players have made a lot of money (and even got a few gold jackets) that way...

That's now.  Not two years from now when people in the industry have forgotten his name and there are two more years worth of ex-players competing for the same jobs...


how can the forget his name when he is working in the industry Now?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

One XFL game?    That's not even bull riding.   If he's still playing during the real season, he's not an option as an analyst for the real network positions...

Guess you do not watch NFL network much. 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So if he's an ex-player who ended his career hanging on in the second smallest NFL market, that's a good look?...

We will have more prime time and more playoff games than Washington over the next couple years, especially next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Guess you do not watch NFL network much. 

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't want another Gore mentorship that results in 2-3 good games and then gone. I'd rather spend some money and sign someone like Hunter Henry. Besides there's no way Olsen chooses Josh over Russ. I don't care what the McD connection is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I wonder if teams ever negotiate a what-if scenario "handshake deal."

 

Example:  Olsen narrows it down to one team that he really likes, but doesn't want to put his body through the rigors of an entire season if it doesn't end with some postseason action.  For the purposes of this entirely made up scenario, let's say he decides that IF he's going to play, he only wants to play for the Bills.  Would Beane be willing (or legally able) to say, "Okay, Greg … if you promise to keep yourself in playing condition on your own time/while you're in the booth - and we end up getting to (9-3) through the first 13 weeks of the season - I'll give you a contract worth "x" amount of money to sign on for our likely playoff run."

 

I think that might make a little sense if it's the team a player retired from and he already knows the HC and the system.  The Marshawn Lynch thing.

Maybe a 'Zo thing if the Bills are making a playoff run and the Injury Bug struck?

 

For a receiver who would have to learn the routes and build timing, I think it might backfire, especially if he's never played on that team.

 

 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I'm having trouble seeing the original to which Allbright's responding "I think it's the first two"

 

Bills & Redskins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GG said:

Bills & Redskins

 

I personally would like us to make a play for Hooper, but I'm sure he wants a long contract with a lot guaranteed.

If Beane and Co really like Knox and Sweeney and are thinking "we need a guy who can ball for 2 years while they develop" Olsen makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I personally would like us to make a play for Hooper, but I'm sure he wants a long contract with a lot guaranteed.

If Beane and Co really like Knox and Sweeney and are thinking "we need a guy who can ball for 2 years while they develop" Olsen makes sense.

 

That has to be the thinking

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I personally would like us to make a play for Hooper, but I'm sure he wants a long contract with a lot guaranteed.

If Beane and Co really like Knox and Sweeney and are thinking "we need a guy who can ball for 2 years while they develop" Olsen makes sense.

 

Olsen makes sense as a vet stop gap depth type player to allow Knox and Sweeney a backstop in case they have some more growing pains. I wouldn't hate it as I think Olsen in a limited role could work but I worry about his health and ability to stay healthy, maybe if he is a receiving TE only and in more limited use they can keep him available easier but that's a lot to bet on. 

 

I would prefer to go on a big one year deal (in the 10 million range) to Hunter Henry instead but I think he commands a multi-year deal given the desperation of the position. I think Henry would have a big impact short term which would help Allen get another quality target while having Knox be the backup grow at a better pace for one more season before taking on the starting duties in 2021. 

 

Given the market for TE's I think Olsen is one of the better one and done options to help bridge Knox and Sweeney into a their sophomore year. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

 

Olsen makes sense as a vet stop gap depth type player to allow Knox and Sweeney a backstop in case they have some more growing pains. I wouldn't hate it as I think Olsen in a limited role could work but I worry about his health and ability to stay healthy, maybe if he is a receiving TE only and in more limited use they can keep him available easier but that's a lot to bet on. 

 

I would prefer to go on a big one year deal (in the 10 million range) to Hunter Henry instead but I think he commands a multi-year deal given the desperation of the position. I think Henry would have a big impact short term which would help Allen get another quality target while having Knox be the backup grow at a better pace for one more season before taking on the starting duties in 2021. 

 

Given the market for TE's I think Olsen is one of the better one and done options to help bridge Knox and Sweeney into a their sophomore year. 

 

I think Henry, Hooper and maybe even Ebron will command large multi-year deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I wonder if teams ever negotiate a what-if scenario "handshake deal."

 

Example:  Olsen narrows it down to one team that he really likes, but doesn't want to put his body through the rigors of an entire season if it doesn't end with some postseason action.  For the purposes of this entirely made up scenario, let's say he decides that IF he's going to play, he only wants to play for the Bills.  Would Beane be willing (or legally able) to say, "Okay, Greg … if you promise to keep yourself in playing condition on your own time/while you're in the booth - and we end up getting to (9-3) through the first 13 weeks of the season - I'll give you a contract worth "x" amount of money to sign on for our likely playoff run."

These thoughts are the kind most people keep inside their heads.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, without a drought said:

These thoughts are the kind most people keep inside their heads.

 

 

 

If I wrote those, I'd end up on at least three lists.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

So if he's an ex-player who ended his career hanging on in the second smallest NFL market, that's a good look?...

If it’s a winning team, Yes, it says a lot, it says he is part of a winner, everyone who follows football knows Snyder runs a sh-t show, and that the organization is not well thought of, not something to hang ones hat on as it were. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wppete said:

Any word yet? 

 

F5 time

 

Note that there is a FAKE WGR550 account out there reporting that Olsen will sign with the Bills.

 

 

image.thumb.png.1cbc27cabb36d8cd564dd84ae6a66bae.png

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...