No one else thought McD & the Bills watching the 49ers in the fourth?

3 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Except they didn't get conservative on offense they did the opposite and Jimmy G let them down, 2nd & 4 & two consecutive throws that were incomplete when they pretty much were ripping off over 5 yards per carry, just stupidity....

Did you watch the end of the first half or just the second half?

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And bonus....  Jimmy G has Sanders open for the go ahead TD with 1:30 to go & as per JA this year over threw him.....

Jimmy G’s pass was perfect .... except for the fact that it wasn’t Marquise Goodwin running that route; it was nearly 33 year old post-Achilles surgery Emmanuel Sanders. 
Was the Missing Marquise the reason the Niners aren’t the Super Bowl champs? (I’m only half kidding)

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

These threads on McDermott are ridiculous.   Further, the notion that San Fran blew the game only attempts  to lesson what KC did.  

Two excellent teams, great game, KC won because their best player was the games best player.  Period.  

But it’s important to turn it into a “Bills Suck” lesson..............for some people. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I also blame Daboll, but not for the same reason. After reading what "Hapless Bills fan" has stated about what he knows, the offense is more of a collaborative effort as McD does have some say as to how the offense is run. 

That said, I think the play calling during games is more on Daboll, and still that has issues as does Allen have actual power to change the play at the line or run an RPO on his own. I'm thinking no...although this is very debatable. I kinda wish that Daboll did have total freedom and therefore he would have to shoulder all the blame or acclaim. 

Bills fans talking about the games the team lost last season Patriots, Eagles, Browns, Ravens, Patriots, Jets. Against the Jets in that last game the Bills rested starters so that one doesn't count. The Eagles game was the only game in which the Bills were really dominated on both lines offensively and defensively and lost 31-16 by a wide margin. 

It's my contention that those other four games could have been wins had the Bills run the ball more and passed less in those games. Daboll is putting way to much of the game on Josh Allen's shoulders to win games against the better defenses in the NFL. Allen is simply not ready at this point. The Titans showed the Bills how to beat the Patriots. Build a dominate offensive line and find a way to make that run game work in any situation. (You also don't need a Derrick Henry type RB to get the job done either.)

If this super bowl looked like the Bills in any aspect its that the 49ers moved away from what got them to that game in the first place. Against the Packers in the NFC championship game Garoppolo threw only 8 freaking times and they ran it 42 times. Against Minnesota in the first playoff game the 49ers threw it 19 times and ran it 47 times.

In the super bowl against the Chiefs the 49ers went into a Buffalo Bills mode by asking their QB to carry the game with his arm and he simply couldn't do it. Instead of running more and passing less like did in the previous two playoff games, they went 22 runs vs 31 passes. (The Bills did win some games with Josh Allen carrying the offense with some fourth quarter comeback wins. Although those wins weren't against the better defenses)  OTOH, Mahomes carried the game with his arm and won MVP. 

Totally agree with your post.

Actually, Mahomes wasn't all that sharp, though.  A lot of his passes were off target...but he has playmakers that make plays and catch the ball.  Josh doesn't have that.  His playmakers drop the ball.  That's when Allen puts the game on his shoulders and tries to do too much.

You also can't discount Williams running in this game.  Those plays were huge!  That speaks to your point about what SF should have been doing vs putting the game in Jimmy G's hands where it didn't need to be.

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

But it’s important to turn it into a “Bills Suck” lesson..............for some people. 

No it was an observation.  

Yes & also the concern I voiced over & over about the Bills all season......

I'll throw in KC also had Watkins.......?

11 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Actually, Mahomes wasn't all that sharp, though.  A lot of his passes were off target...but he has playmakers that make plays and catch the ball. 

I can't understand why the 49ers stopped bringing the heat on Mahones, which clearly affected his play through the first three quarters-plus.  Once they dialed back the 5-man rushes, he got more comfortable in the pocket and it was all over.   

Yet another case of a team beating itself with caution, rather than sticking to an aggressive game plan...

the big ridiculousness in this game is out thinking yourself and getting away from what works.  Stopped running the ball at the end of the game when it was working.  If it stopped working, they had the option to do a number of other things (Samuels, pass, etc.)  The lack of play calling rhythm at the end of the game was Daboll like.  Yes, you want to keep your foot on the gas, but that does not always mean throwing the ball. 

The other, major irritant for me was the lack of timeout at the end of the 1st half.  Total loser mentality to be happy with a tie.  Get at least a FG, then get the ball back, get a TD and you're up 10 to start the 3rd.  

28 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I can't understand why the 49ers stopped bringing the heat on Mahones, which clearly affected his play through the first three quarters-plus.  Once they dialed back the 5-man rushes, he got more comfortable in the pocket and it was all over.   

Yet another case of a team beating itself with caution, rather than sticking to an aggressive game plan...

They stayed aggressive on offense...abandoning the run...and got conservative on defense.  Chiefs did the opposite once they got the lead.  We saw what was the winning formula.

2 hours ago, eball said:

This is a silly post because anyone who thought the 2019 Bills were a finished product just hasn't been paying attention.  They are in the midst of a progression franchises go through to become top tier.  First you show you belong by hanging around in these games against top opponents.  The next step is winning your share of them.  I can't imagine why any Bills fan is not very excited about what has happened and what is to come.

It was a horrible post, but what you come to expect from that poster.  The AB has not had half the experience that Mahomes and Watson had , yet he is learning and improving. The o line though re built still isn’t good enough. How did Mahomes or Garofalo look when pressured yesterday? At this point Allen’s and the Bills succes depends on improving the line and talent as much as it does on Allen going to the next level... Consistent wins against top teams will come when all three of these areas improve.

Just now, jkeerie said:

They stayed aggressive on offense...abandoning the run...and got conservative on defense.  Chiefs did the opposite once they got the lead.  We saw what was the winning formula.

Exactly.    And yet it happens, over and over and over.   So much for analytics when it comes to crunch time.

OTOH, I was impressed with the KC d-line / pass rush in the second half.    They won the game as much as Mahones did...

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They did almost everything right & then turtled up 10....

I could have sworn that was McD calling the plays up 10 & trying to milk it out.

Jimmy G was just good enough to lose....

And bonus....  Jimmy G has Sanders open for the go ahead TD with 1:30 to go & as per JA this year over threw him.....?

The team with the better QB in this league almost always wins.

It's why I'm down on Josh Allen and that ain't changing any time soon.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So now Shanahan is supposed to have been uncreative? Like us?

And the Bills offense and the SF offense is supposed to be a good comparison?

Garoppolo has a passer rating of 102 as a seventh-year man and Allen has one of 85.3 in his second year, and this is alike? The Niners have the 4th ranked offense in the league and we have the 24th and it's similar?

Sorry, just don't see it. Not when it was happening and not now.

Save your breath.

This will be the last year when the Allen apologists can actually get away with defending him.

Nowhere for him to hide after this year.

This is the year when "Raw" becomes "bad."

Apologies.....  Really wasn't just the 4th quarter, thinking back & forgetting their last possession before halftime, the safe passes Jimmy G was throwing through 3 quarters, innovative play calling early on that wasn't there later, prevent D come the 4th, the whole game can be referred to as Billsy.....?

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Any time a coach loses, their decisions will be second-guessed.

It’s what psychologists call The Narrative Fallacy. People like (or maybe human brains demand?) to create a storyline around a sequence of events, many of which are random. The Kittle offensive PI call. The overthrown bomb to Emmanuel Sanders. The goal line “no clear and convincing evidence to  overturn” call. Any one of those and the result  could have been different; two of them and it would have been different. And then we’d be talking about how Andy Reid is a terrible big game coach. 

35 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Save your breath.

This will be the last year when the Allen apologists can actually get away with defending him.

There was a guy like you on the San Diego Chargers bulletin board in 2003, I know it.

30 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It’s what psychologists call The Narrative Fallacy. People like (or maybe human brains demand?) to create a storyline around a sequence of events, many of which are random. The Kittle offensive PI call. The overthrown bomb to Emmanuel Sanders. The goal line “no clear and convincing evidence to  overturn” call. Any one of those and the result  could have been different; two of them and it would have been different. And then we’d be talking about how Andy Reid is a terrible big game coach. 

You mean like all those if SF won, would have explained how Defense rules the day?  Or those praising Tennessee & SF for riding their running games in these playoffs?

I was consistent in my comments about McD, Daboll & the Bills' offense.  The SB looked very much the same like Bills games (i.e. the Houston game, with Mahomes off the 49ers should have won). 

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

You mean like all those if SF won, would have explained how Defense rules the day?  Or those praising Tennessee & SF for riding their running games in these playoffs?

I was consistent in my comments about McD, Daboll & the Bills' offense.  The SB looked very much the same like Bills games (i.e. the Houston game, with Mahomes off the 49ers should have won). 

if you need attention, we can just talk.  don't feel you need to go about it this way.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No it was an observation.  

Yes & also the concern I voiced over & over about the Bills all season......

I'll throw in KC also had Watkins.......?

I think that's your problem right there.  

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Save your breath.

See above.