Super Bowl Menu: The Most Important Thread of the Year

Once again, I spent too much time in the kitchen and not enough time watching the game/commercials.  I can see the TV from the kitchen, but can't devote all of my attention to it.  

Every ***** year I say, "next year, I'm not cooking too much."  

I only had my brother coming over.  Of course, he didn't get there until midway through the first quarter.  That threw my cooking schedule off, which is ultimately what ***** me.

On a good note, he'd never even heard of a beef on weck before.  He devoured two of them in no time.  So that was nice.

I think next year, I'm just doing beef on weck and chicken wing dip.  Everything else will be delivery/take-out.

Kept it simple. 5 lbs of chicken wings on the Big Green Egg, and my neighbor that came over made a couple pounds of candied bacon on his. Didn't really go all out. had to miss the entire 2nd quarter anyway putting the little one to bed. Super Bowl Sunday with small children is definitely different.

8 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Kept it simple. 5 lbs of chicken wings on the Big Green Egg, and my neighbor that came over made a couple pounds of candied bacon on his. Didn't really go all out. had to miss the entire 2nd quarter anyway putting the little one to bed. Super Bowl Sunday with small children is definitely different.

I missed the 3rd and some of the 4th. One of my 6 year olds must’ve had something with food coloring, because he had an epic meltdown rage tantrum for no reason at all. It kept him, his twin brother, and his baby sister up for an hour. Made it back just in time to catch the entirety of the comeback 

28 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I missed the 3rd and some of the 4th. One of my 6 year olds must’ve had something with food coloring, because he had an epic meltdown rage tantrum for no reason at all. It kept him, his twin brother, and his baby sister up for an hour. Made it back just in time to catch the entirety of the comeback 

Yeah we had our neighbors/friends and their kids over. their kids are best buddies with my son. But the weather here in Charlotte was BEAUTIFUL yesterday, and the kids played hard outside all day... My 4 year old son was super tired and had a similar epic meltdown rage at about 7:00. So that was the end of that ?

35 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Late to the party here. Made wings in the foodi. Turned out fantastic! 

What is a foodi? 

Never mind I googled it - looks like a pretty cool contraption! I have an instant pot, and my air fryer is built into my Breville Smart oven. I use the air fryer a lot, made fresh cut bbq potato chips in it yesterday and came out great 

Edited by YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What is a foodi? 

Never mind I googled it - looks like a pretty cool contraption! I have an instant pot, and my air fryer is built into my Breville Smart oven. I use the air fryer a lot, made fresh cut bbq potato chips in it yesterday and came out great 

Yeah, pressure cooked the wings, then air fried until crispy. Used the fat from the wings as a substitute for butter in the sauce. Turned out great

39 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yeah, pressure cooked the wings, then air fried until crispy. Used the fat from the wings as a substitute for butter in the sauce. Turned out great

Did you pressure cook them in a flavored broth or pressure steam them?  Do you rest them or go straight from the pressure cooker into the fryer?  Have you done this two step method with a deep fryer to finish?

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Did you pressure cook them in a flavored broth or pressure steam them?  Do you rest them or go straight from the pressure cooker into the fryer?  Have you done this two step method with a deep fryer to finish?

Jesus, slow down, Columbo!

• Haha (+1) 3

On 2/3/2020 at 11:38 AM, Jauronimo said:

I used 1/2c Frank's & 1c water in the pressure cooking process, swapped straight to the crisping lid and air fried without rest (The Foodi does both in a single unit, so I didn't even touch the wings with the swap to frying). Then added another 1/2c Frank's to the sauce that remained in the bottom and tossed in that sauce. I don't have a deep fryer and I'm in a tiny DC Condo, so the smell would linger for years.

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I used 1/2c Frank's & 1c water in the pressure cooking process, swapped straight to the crisping lid and air fried without rest (The Foodi does both in a single unit, so I didn't even touch the wings with the swap to frying). Then added another 1/2c Frank's to the sauce that remained in the bottom and tossed in that sauce. I don't have a deep fryer and I'm in a tiny DC Condo, so the smell would linger for years.

The smell of frying always forced me to do all of my frying outside, either on the deck or in the garage (if raining).  I will say, though, that using peanut oil (or any oils with a high smoke point) makes a huge difference.  The smell doesn't linger badly at all.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

The smell of frying always forced me to do all of my frying outside, either on the deck or in the garage (if raining).  I will say, though, that using peanut oil (or any oils with a high smoke point) makes a huge difference.  The smell doesn't linger badly at all.

Yeah, when I do any frying I opt for sunflower oil for that exact reason

• Like (+1) 1