Poloncarz: Bills tell Erie County they will NOT terminate stadium lease

The Pegulas have already made some improvements at NEF , the training center , new turf , new  practice field . I don't think they are in any hurry to build a new stadium unless they get enough outside funding for it.  

12 hours ago, njbuff said:

My question would be where exactly would they put a new stadium? 

Downtown? They would level the cobblestone district and adjacent areas and throw it right there on the water. That’s the most rumored option at least.

35 minutes ago, eanyills said:

That would make a lot of sense. The City of Buffalo/BMHA have been essentially neglecting that entire site since the redevelopment plans a bunch of years back fell through. With the Old First Ward neighborhood improving and a connector to Canalside and the Outer Harbor, I can easily see the city loving a massive project to replace housing projects. The only issue is parking, it’s still part of the urban core. There cannot/should not be any new sprawling surface lots so that will be interesting.

If they go this route, they’re going to get a hell of a pushback from affordable housing advocates and other social justice groups, though.

Which is why I question that they will do anything in the City of Buffalo.  Too many palms that will have to be greased to get anything going there.  Also, any roads would have to be upgraded and the utilities said to be in poor condition for a stadium.  All these things will require big bucks to address.  But if the Pegula's want to throw all that on their backs then God Bless Them.

17 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Sounds like Poloncarz just wants people to think he had something to do with the lease not being terminated early. 

Or he just wants to be upfront with the people... Put them at ease.  Pretty cynical to always think it's about somebody trying to gain attention.  I guess that's what politics brings... Cynicism...

Why not be upfront... They wrote the letter to him.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Or he just wants to be upfront with the people... Put them at ease.  Pretty cynical to always think it's about somebody trying to gain attention.  I guess that's what politics brings... Cynicism...

Why not be upfront... The wrote the letter to him.

Ok Mrs. Poloncarz .... ?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Downtown? They would level the cobblestone district and adjacent areas and throw it right there on the water. That’s the most rumored option at least.

That isn't happening. No one is levelling anything. Certainly not the Cobblestone district where PSE just renovated the John Labatt House building.

2 hours ago, ALF said:

The Pegulas have already made some improvements at NEF , the training center , new turf , new  practice field . I don't think they are in any hurry to build a new stadium unless they get enough outside funding for it.  

Well they have only 3 years to either extend their current lease of have something new built. If a new stadium is in the cards it will likely be announced within 9 months to allow 2 years for construction.

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well they have only 3 years to either extend their current lease of have something new built. 

I can see them signing a lease extension to buy time and stay flexible.   

IMO, the biggest roadblock to a new stadium is the deficit problem the state has now.   I can't see Cuomo giving them a big check, even for something years away--the optics of that are really bad.    Incremental rehab seems more politically doable...

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He requested the letter be written. There was no requirement or need for it. Clearly they were not going to exercise the clause to terminate. 

I don’t feel I am cynical; that’s just how the whole thing came off given how Poloncarz worded his message. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/31/2020 at 3:40 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

A big F.U. to Goodell? :lol:  Not really. But expect a stadium announcement within 9 months. They will need two years to do whatever they are planning for 2023, when the lease expires.

Expected. 

Big cash payout to terminate and need time to do whatever are going to do 

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

After he asked them too

7 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Downtown stadium is a lock.  Hotels, ameneties etc.  Its still not gonna have as many corporate boxes as Roger would like but it'll be sweet.  Retractable roofs are awesome now, ours will be state of the art.  3 years to build.

Fixed roof. Will save $400MM. Look for a copy of the Vikings glass roof stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Fixed roof. Will save $400MM. Look for a copy of the Vikings glass roof stadium.

I have not been there, but that is an AWESOME looking stadium! Atlanta looks cool, but I’m not sure how many games have been played with the roof open. I know it was broken for a while, but even after being fixed, it’s almost always closed. I’m good either way. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I have not been there, but that is an AWESOME looking stadium! Atlanta looks cool, but I’m not sure how many games have been played with the roof open. I know it was broken for a while, but even after being fixed, it’s almost always closed. I’m good either way. 

Half the retractable roof stadiums break down or they don't even bother using it. It's an expensive option that you will rarely use. And most of the stadiums have such tiny roof openings anyway. The Vikings stadium has a glass roof and walls that open to let the outside air flow through.

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Half the retractable roof stadiums break down or they don't even bother using it. It's an expensive option that you will rarely use. And most of the stadiums have such tiny roof openings anyway. The Vikings stadium has a glass roof and walls that open to let the outside air flow through.

That's cool.  I didn't know that.