New York (again)

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Interesting twist. 

What did that illegal do with the money he was supposed spend on singing lessons?   I need to gouge my eardrums out.  What a mess.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Callahan said:

"Just as the Founding Fathers intended."

You mean those same Founding Fathers who promulgated the First Amendment?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Eyeroll 1

53 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Missed the story.  ran with a strawman, but since we are on that topic.

And that covers all people, or American citizens?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

They didn't all get there on their own.

Who is organizing/paying ?

Is ANY media curious ?

That's significantly easier and cheaper than getting from a 3rd world country to the Southern border...

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/8/2021 at 7:29 AM, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Most industries gave back, modified payment terms, eliminated late fees, provided refunds, and in this case of landlords, were told to suck it up, stfu, and die on the vine if necessary because while all people were hurting, they weren’t the right type of person. The state mandate was pay up, shut up, and don’t be f*ng late.  That state and local governments offered significantly reduced hours and in-person service to do so was sort of an addition jab in the eye to residents. 

Doesn’t sound like life was better for you four years ago, eh?

On 4/16/2024 at 2:28 PM, The Frankish Reich said:

Good question that remains largely unanswered after 230 some years.

When it was written it meant people here legally. If legally in country you get protected by Constitution, if you are a foreign national who is here without permission you do not get protections. There is not a question of what they meant only what dishonest politicians/judges do. The system is phenomenal until you have people believing they are moral by allowing criminals into their community 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, there really was no such thing as people here illegally at the time, since the USA was birthed in a time of open borders. So there is that ...

Back to square one.  I dont remember the immigrants over the centuries that are American citizens, Lining up to demand services from the state. 

New York couldn't even get weed right.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-illegal-weed-shops-marijuana-kathy-hochul-9f68cbf6?mod=opinion_lead_pos3

Boosters of legal marijuana promised a utopia like something from the sunniest dreams of the 1960s: responsible use, oodles of tax revenue, and upstanding entrepreneurs instead of lawbreaking dealers. But in New York less than two years later, a thicket of illegal stores is crowding out licensees in a genuine fiasco.

I live in Colorado. Woo-hoo, first in the nation to legalize weed! I didn't like it when it happened, not because I'm not in favor of legalization (I am) but because I didn't want Colorado to become an even bigger magnet for weed tourism, etc.

And guess what happened when Obama said "go ahead?" A bunch of weed stores opened. A bunch of greenhouses growing weed for them started up. A bunch of ancillary services joined them. I recall sitting at a coffee shop overhearing a conversation between some kind of investor group and a guy who was starting up a weed packaging business. (Real quote: "We want the customer to be able to open the package and get that blast of fresh weed, kind of like opening a potato chip bag"). And the black market essentially disappeared. Licensed, generally well-regulated, not an anything goes third worldly bunch of fly-by-night outfits.

New York had the model. Just copy Colorado! And still they got it horribly wrong. 

• Agree 1