New York (again)

BREAKING:

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says the city will begin labeling ‘coronavirus victims’ who weren’t even tested for the disease if their ‘symptoms fit certain parameters’ - WNBC

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

BREAKING:

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio says the city will begin labeling ‘coronavirus victims’ who weren’t even tested for the disease if their ‘symptoms fit certain parameters’ - WNBC

I wonder what the definition of "victims" is. Someone who died?

What's the current % of positive tests, where to get one in the first place, you must be showing symptoms that fit certain parameters? Like ~4ish% positive? 

Nothing like an old fashioned 96% margin rate of error. 

That's even worse than this from the NYT on election day:

Screen-Shot-2016-11-09-at-2.24.47-PM-102

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

NYC prisoner released by state over coronavirus charged with robbery

by Larry Celona & Jorge Fitz-Gibbon

Original Article

A Bronx man released from prison by Gov. Andrew Cuomo last month amid the spread of the coronavirus has been charged with beating and robbing a 62-year-old man — who was so scared of getting the ailment he refused to take the money back when cops made an arrest.

Daniel Vargas, 29, was being held on $50,000 bail on robbery, grand larceny and assault charges after allegedly approaching the elderly victim on Valentine Avenue in the Bronx shortly after 8 a.m. Tuesday, according to a criminal complaint.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Google Helps New York Reboot Unemployment System After Crash

New York state’s labor department has been working with Alphabet Inc.‘s Google to reboot its unemployment filing system after a deluge of claims spurred by the Covid-19 pandemic caused it to crash.

The state has received roughly 810,000 unemployment insurance claims since March 9, of which about 600,000 have been processed, Secretary to the Governor Melissa DeRosa said at a Thursday briefing. “It’s a volume issue that we’ve never experienced,” she said.

Last week alone the state received 347,573 claims, a 2,580% increase over the same period in the prior year, according to state labor department data released Thursday. The number of phone calls to the unemployment insurance filing system increased by 16,000% in peak weeks of the pandemic, and website traffic increased by 1,600%, compared to a typical week, the department said.

</snip>

The state labor department and Office of Information Technology Services have worked with Google using its Cloud technology to upgrade the system and improve its reliability.

The reboot took place Thursday between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. It includes a new online application with fewer questions, DeRosa said. The online system closed at 7 p.m., so applications will begin being accepted again at 7:30 a.m. Friday, according to the governor’s office.

</snip>

....yet another chapter in "Big Fredo's fine whine".......nothing is HIS fault.....our good 'ol NYS has been unprepared for YEARS........him and DiBlasio have done a fine job.......assuredly to get re-elected and probably has Fredo as his Lieutenant Governor....DOUBLE trouble...SMH........

Cuomo and Trump spar after NY governor says don’t 'pass the buck without passing the bucks'

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and President Trump clashed Friday after Cuomo demanded the president provide the funding necessary for the state to reopen the economy amid the coronavirus ciris, warning not to "pass the buck without passing the bucks."

The battle of the New Yorkers started Friday when Cuomo, during his press conference, complained about funding while discussing the president’s set of guidelines titled "Opening up America Again,” which passes the decision on when to move to each phase to governors and local officials.

"The federal government has passed three bills to address this crisis. Of those three bills, the state governments have gotten precisely zero, zilch, nada in unrestricted aid," Cuomo said Friday. ”That is passing the buck without passing the bucks.”

“Don’t ask the states to do this without the funding,” Cuomo added, saying that putting the onus on the states without the funding necessary to have a successful reopening is “the opposite of the buck stops here.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cuomo-warns-trump-not-to-pass-the-buck-without-passing-the-bucks-for-reopening-of-economy-amid-coronavirus

52 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

"The federal government has passed three bills to address this crisis. Of those three bills, the state governments have gotten precisely zero, zilch, nada in unrestricted aid," Cuomo said Friday. ”That is passing the buck without passing the bucks.”

Interesting quote there. "Unrestricted aid".

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Interesting quote there. "Unrestricted aid".

.....so for how many years has Big Fredo gotten "unrestricted aid" from us in WNY?........we are the ugly stepchild funding the parasitic NYC, his voting base.......

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....so for how many years has Big Fredo gotten "unrestricted aid" from us in WNY?........we are the ugly stepchild funding the parasitic NYC, his voting base.......

My personal favorite scam still has to be the Niagara Falls Power Plant. NYC gets to buy the power at cost, but anything they don't need is allowed to be sold to WNY at market rates. I remember once or twice that the authority - which isn't supposed to make a profit - somehow had $500 million lying around to give to the state during the prior budget crises.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

My personal favorite scam still has to be the Niagara Falls Power Plant. NYC gets to buy the power at cost, but anything they don't need is allowed to be sold to WNY at market rates. I remember once or twice that the authority - which isn't supposed to make a profit - somehow had $500 million lying around to give to the state during the prior budget crises.

...what is exactly the value of his daily pressers?......don't the numbers and cases of death in NYC speak enough volumes of his FAILED leadership as far as preparedness LONG before Covid-19 over three terms?......SEVEN trips to PR to commiserate with them about Trump's 92 BILLION DOLLAR aid package for hurricane relief being a screw job?....spending my effin' tax dollars to sue Trump for his tax returns?....threatening to sue Rhode Island for barring NYS citizens' entry?.....NYS Political Hall of Fame nominees....Big Fredo, Mini Mike, DiBlasio, Spitzer, Weiner, Hillary, Schumer, Schneiderman et al.....we do have some REAL gems......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

:lol:

What in the world did they expect? They were fortunate it wasn't a "snitches get stitches" situation.

</snip>

Mayor Bill de Blasio’s critics let him know how they really felt about him ordering New Yorkers to snitch on each other for violating social-distancing rules — by flooding his new tip line with crank complaints including “dick pics” and people flipping the bird, The Post has learned.

</snip>

• Haha (+1) 3

Saint Andrew of Albany

by Robert Stacy McCain

Original Article

Every day, cable-news channels provide live coverage of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s briefings about his state’s response to the coronavirus pandemic. What has happened in New York is not merely the worst COVID-19 outbreak in America, but possibly the worst in the entire world. Such are the biases of our news media, however, that no one ever suggests Cuomo is responsible for the deadly toll of this disease in his state. Instead, the Democratic governor is treated with deference by the press corps, which instead — and rather illogically — focuses the blame on President Trump. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Saint Andrew of Albany

by Robert Stacy McCain

Original Article

Every day, cable-news channels provide live coverage of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s briefings about his state’s response to the coronavirus pandemic. What has happened in New York is not merely the worst COVID-19 outbreak in America, but possibly the worst in the entire world. Such are the biases of our news media, however, that no one ever suggests Cuomo is responsible for the deadly toll of this disease in his state. Instead, the Democratic governor is treated with deference by the press corps, which instead — and rather illogically — focuses the blame on President Trump. 

That heathen dares to blaspheme Emperor Andrew the Great?

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I asked yesterday -

If you live in a nursing home, and are recovered enough from COVID-19 to not be in the hospital, where exactly should you go? Many nursing homes are rehab centers, too.

(And I ask this as someone whose father is in a NYS nursing home, and who has had several staff cases in the home where he resides.)

• Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I asked yesterday -

If you live in a nursing home, and are recovered enough from COVID-19 to not be in the hospital, where exactly should you go? Many nursing homes are rehab centers, too.

(And I ask this as someone whose father is in a NYS nursing home, and who has had several staff cases in the home where he resides.)

Copied from my answer to you in the stats thread:

Not to sound harsh, but I would say absolutely NOT! Problem in a nursing home, and probably the main reason we have so many infected, is that most of them have a single tied together air system. So even if you only have one infected, lock them in their room, it WILL spread through the air system. Their not isolated systems like a hospital ward or even a darn hotel. 

We are really really screwing up in nursing homes and we don't need a Cuomo multi-million dollar study to find out how.

Edited by Cinga

Just now, Cinga said:

Not to sound harsh, but I would say absolutely NOT! Problem in a nursing home, and probably the main reason we have so many infected, is that most of them have a single tied together air system. So even if you only have one infected, lock them in their room, it WILL spread through the air system. Their not isolated systems like a hospital ward or even a darn hotel. 

We are really really screwing up in nursing homes and we don't need a Cuomo multi-million dollar study to find out how.

So, where do they go if not to their home?

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

This is a point I think that many people have trouble grasping.  ( * I ran a long term care unit for three years.)

They may look the same from the outside, but it is not like a hospital or a hotel.............This where these seniors live, some for many many years.

Taking them out of that environment is very hard on them.

NO, I don't have a perfect solution.........far from it.

but I always wince when I hear about plans to isolate them "for their own good"

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

This is a point I think that many people have trouble grasping.  ( * I ran a long term care unit for three years.)

They may look the same from the outside, but it is not like a hospital or a hotel.............This where these seniors live, some for many many years.

Taking them out of that environment is very hard on them.

NO, I don't have a perfect solution.........far from it.

but I always wince when I hear about plans to isolate them "for their own good"

My in-laws are in a facility now. They cannot leave their rooms for any reason other than to be taken to the hospital. After that, they are returned to their room and not allowed to leave.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Wish I had that answer for you. In my own case, both parents suffered long illnesses and we took them home for the last year or so of their lives. I know with a lot of people that isn't possible but I'm a firm believer in that Honor your Father and Mother thing still holds especially later in life when they in turn need you.

But regardless, we were a55 backwards in all of this, locking in healthy people who for the most part would be asymptomatic when we should have focused more on the vulnerable to keep the disease out of there altogether. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1