The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I said to Hubby yesterday that I was glad we had traveled so much this past year. Unless we travel in the continental US, I think we are grounded for a while. ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I said to Hubby yesterday that I was glad we had traveled so much this past year. Unless we travel in the continental US, I think we are grounded for a while. ? 

I’m wondering how the Caribbean is going to deal with the Coronavirus issue. There is still uncertainty over the immunity level with this anyway. I’m going to get an antibody test, but if it’s negative a system like this is worrisome. I’d be looking to be given Coronavirus just so I could be “permitted” to travel. 

15 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Not sure about the "716," but in 2007 Buffalo was the 3rd poorest city with a population over 250k in the US. Housing is cheap as hell (still) in the area, too.

Been there done that and even gave that information to Billstime with the note: one city does not and area code make. 

Thanks for playing. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’m wondering how the Caribbean is going to deal with the Coronavirus issue. There is still uncertainty over the immunity level with this anyway. I’m going to get an antibody test, but if it’s negative a system like this is worrisome. I’d be looking to be given Coronavirus just so I could be “permitted” to travel. 

?‍♀️ One of our planned trips is to Antarctica, and then after that cruise I wanted to fly over to Chile for a month.  Chile came out with some sort of immunity passport a few weeks ago for COVID-19. Not certain how that will play out as so few people have actually had the virus, and if only those that have had it are going to be allowed to travel in/to Chile... 

Oh well, we can always travel across country again and I can hit that 50th state.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

Looks like the N95 masks are great (which we have all heard).  Any other type of mask?  Ummm ...

</snip>

Laboratory tests showed the penetration of particles through the cloth masks to be very high (97%) compared with medical masks (44%) (used in trial) and 3M 9320 N95 (<0.01%), 3M Vflex 9105 N95 (0.1%).

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Been there done that and even gave that information to Billstime with the note: one city does not and area code make. 

Not sure data can be found by area code. Poor choice of words by Billstime, but it's certainly not a wealthy area.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

?‍♀️ One of our planned trips is to Antarctica, and then after that cruise I wanted to fly over to Chile for a month.  Chile came out with some sort of immunity passport a few weeks ago for COVID-19. Not certain how that will play out as so few people have actually had the virus, and if only those that have had it are going to be allowed to travel in/to Chile... 

Oh well, we can always travel across country again and I can hit that 50th state.

Exactly. Seems crazy as infection rate isn’t that high yet. It will be interesting to see what small Island nations that are completely reliant on tourism economically do. They’d have a severely limited group who would be permitted to travel there. 

• Like (+1) 1

Feb 9: The Coronavirus Task Force briefed governors from across the country at the NGA Meeting.
Feb 11: HHS expanded coordination with Janssen Research & Development on the creation of coronavirus vaccine
Feb 14: CDC announced their ongoing work with 5 labs to perform community-based influenza surveillance and study the spread of coronavirus.
Feb 18: HHS announced it has engaged Sanofi Pasteur in order to develop a coronavirus vaccine and treatments for coronavirus infections.
Feb 24: The Admin requested $2.5 billion from Congress to help combat the spread of the coronavirus.
Feb 25: HHS Sec Azar testified before the Senate HELP committee on the Admin’s coronavirus response efforts.
Feb 26: Pres Trump announced VP would lead coronavirus response.
Feb 29: FDA began to allow labs to develop & utilize coronavirus testing kits during the application & review process.
Feb 29: The Admin issued travel warnings for parts of South Korea & Italy.

• Thank you (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

Not sure data can be found by area code. Poor choice of words by Billstime, but it's certainly not a wealthy area.

Define wealthy?  I will tell you there is money in the 716. Every major city (like Buffalo/Niagara Falls) has lots of doctors, lawyers, business owners, professional athletes, etc that make a lot of money.  Areas like the Deep South, Alaska, rural Midwest and plains, and the deserts of the Southwest are literally dirt poor throughout the whole area. So while the 716 has its share of poor people (every metropolitan area does) it is far from one of the poorest areas in America.  He spoke out his ass was called out on it and turned tail. I really do not like that type of poster here who refuses to debate. 

4 hours ago, Kemp said:

You couldn't make this up. Supporters of a man...

Donald Trump is a pig and I did not vote for him.

But you keep posting thoughts based on false assumptions. It's worked so well for you for the past couple of weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Feb 9: The Coronavirus Task Force briefed governors from across the country at the NGA Meeting.
Feb 11: HHS expanded coordination with Janssen Research & Development on the creation of coronavirus vaccine
Feb 14: CDC announced their ongoing work with 5 labs to perform community-based influenza surveillance and study the spread of coronavirus.
Feb 18: HHS announced it has engaged Sanofi Pasteur in order to develop a coronavirus vaccine and treatments for coronavirus infections.
Feb 24: The Admin requested $2.5 billion from Congress to help combat the spread of the coronavirus.
Feb 25: HHS Sec Azar testified before the Senate HELP committee on the Admin’s coronavirus response efforts.
Feb 26: Pres Trump announced VP would lead coronavirus response.
Feb 29: FDA began to allow labs to develop & utilize coronavirus testing kits during the application & review process.
Feb 29: The Admin issued travel warnings for parts of South Korea & Italy.

Other than that, Trump TOTALLY did nothing.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Define wealthy?  I will tell you there is money in the 716. Every major city (like Buffalo/Niagara Falls) has lots of doctors, lawyers, business owners, professional athletes, etc that make a lot of money.  Areas like the Deep South, Alaska, rural Midwest and plains, and the deserts of the Southwest are literally dirt poor throughout the whole area. So while the 716 has its share of poor people (every metropolitan area does) it is far from one of the poorest areas in America.  He spoke out his ass was called out on it and turned tail. I really do not like that type of poster here who refuses to debate. 

There is still a fair amount of old money in Buffalo from its Golden Age which was 1890-1960.  It's never been flamboyant and my understanding is that a fair amount of it is publicity shy.  Rochester is very similar.  Allegany County for years was rumored to have a family worth nearly a billion dollars due to the 19th Century oil boom near Wellsville.  WNY is definitely not Southern Cal in the way that the rich people conduct themselves.  

8 minutes ago, Q-baby! said:

I just did. Feel free to correct me. 

That’s not what I do. There I corrected you. 

7 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

There is still a fair amount of old money in Buffalo from its Golden Age which was 1890-1960.  It's never been flamboyant and my understanding is that a fair amount of it is publicity shy.  Rochester is very similar.  Allegany County for years was rumored to have a family worth nearly a billion dollars due to the 19th Century oil boom near Wellsville.  WNY is definitely not Southern Cal in the way that the rich people conduct themselves.  

I have a client who played for the Bills. We were talking about the area.  He said he always liked to research the cities where he played and said he was surprised to find out that in it's hay day Buffalo had more millionaires per capita than any other city in America.  I was surprised to learn that too.