The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You buy some seeds and grow your food.  You hunt.  You live within your means.  You defer your bills if you have to.  You get food from pantries.  You make things happen 

You look into social programs.  You get unemployment.  You get a job at a grocery store or any other store that is still open.  

If you have no means, you cannot live within them. Remember, there are states that will not let you buy seeds or gardening supplies deeming them non-essential. Food pantries require donations. If no one is working, if businesses are out of business, who is funding them/donating?  Hunting has a season. And licensing. How does that happen now?  Unemployment is state funded (that extra $600 in Uncle Sam sugar-money is temporary). How  does it continually fund if there are no taxpayers to pay taxes? No employers to fund it?

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Do you even understand how an economy works? Do you think the government can continue to dole out trillions of dollars without this turning into a a complete economic disaster, the likes of which you have never experienced?

The cold hard truth is this: To avoid serious and prolonged consequences, this economy needs to begin opening up soon.

And what about the price we’ll be paying if the numbers of death rise 10 fold, 20 fold? 1000 times over? What about that economic collapse?

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You buy some seeds and grow your food.  You hunt.  You live within your means.  You defer your bills if you have to.  You get food from pantries.  You make things happen 

Are you kidding me? This is your answer to shutting down the economy? This is beyond ridiculous....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Understood and the only way to make money is to work at the job you had before this happened?  Thats what I mean about being resourceful.   Life isnt the same as it waa before and people should really start to consider how to move forward if this gets worse because it will if we rush back.  

Resourceful?  The modern economy depends on the flow of money.  When money ceases to flow there will be huge problems.  Banks are not going to lend to every last person that enters their doors.  Buying seed and hunting may work in most places here in WNY but will not work in the major cities.  It will be a free for all with a lot of casualties and fatalities.

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I wouldn't open poopie to China. Ever.

Many people have questioned if the "cure" will be worse than the disease. Many have also questioned if there is a realistic plan in place barring a vaccine. (I guess we find that out tonight.)

Just because people support President Trump, do not assume they blindly, continually, support President Trump in all things. There are even people in this sub-forum who have been unhappy with how he has handled this in real-time (although hindsight is always 20/20).

...I would.....with one "minor caveat"........landing fee is $2.2 trillion, COD................

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Resourceful?  The modern economy depends on the flow of money.  When money ceases to flow there will be huge problems.  Banks are not going to lend to every last person that enters their doors.  Buying seed and hunting may work in most places here in WNY but will not work in the major cities.  It will be a free for all with a lot of casualties and fatalities.

And if they get back too soon it will be the same result.   I see your point but there are ways to grow food even in big cities.   I feel really sorry for people who rely solely on society and government for their livelihood.

5 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I see a lot of farming happening in East Newark. You are in a fantasyland. We are not headed to The Stand if we reopen, even if we reopen too soon. But it could be grim, that much is true. 

Build a frickin garden bed and buy potting soil.  You can grow in a bucket fot Gods sake.

4 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Are you kidding me? This is your answer to shutting down the economy? This is beyond ridiculous....

When did I say shut down the economy?  I said if the state opens too quickly this is only going to get worse.   

11 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You look into social programs.  You get unemployment.  You get a job at a grocery store or any other store that is still open.  

There is never a reason to starve.   The problem is a lot of people in this country crumble the second they dont have things the way they want it when they want it.  We are spoiled.

5 minutes ago, Justice said:

And what about the price we’ll be paying if the numbers of death rise 10 fold, 20 fold? 1000 times over? What about that economic collapse?

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

And if they get back too soon it will be the same result.   I see your point but there are ways to grow food even in big cities.   I feel really sorry for people who rely solely on society and government for their livelihood.

Build a frickin garden bed and buy potting soil.  You can grow in a bucket fot Gods sake.

All  I can say, is thank God people like the two of you are not in charge of this country.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Justice said:

It’s funny but the same people that lauded Trump for discontinuing flights from China are the same ones that support the potential lifting of the lockdown. How can you be both at this time without a vaccine or cure in place?

The feds will publish guidelines which the states for the most part don't have to follow.  People of course can make their own decisions on what to do or not to do based on their own risk tolerance and with their state guidelines. 

1 hour ago, Troll Toll said:

I’m calling it now. With these differing reopen dates between states, the first states to open will be flooded with job applications from people in locked down states. If Democrat governors get too cute with their dates, people will flee their states at even greater rates.

I've been saying this for a while. If they do region by region or state by state, then they better do something to make sure the people in the still quarantined states stay where they are.  Otherwise they're gonna take it with them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

All  I can say, is thank God people like the two of you are not in charge of this country.

Being fair to them, there are no easy, short term answers.  Long term? People can change how they live. I would not be shocked to see a return to basics including gardening, and more people cooking/baking at home. Will it last? Is it a long term solution? Who knows. 

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Same can be said about you. Nobody here is qualified to do so. To say my ideas are worse than yours or for me to say the same about yours is asinine. 

Just now, Justice said:

Same can be said about you. Nobody here is qualified to do so. To say my ideas are worse than yours or for me to say the same about yours is asinine. 

No. To say you close down an economy until there is a vaccine or until we can make sure this is completely under control is asinine

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If you have no means, you cannot live within them. Remember, there are states that will not let you buy seeds or gardening supplies deeming them non-essential. Food pantries require donations. If no one is working, if businesses are out of business, who is funding them/donating?  Hunting has a season. And licensing. How does that happen now?  Unemployment is state funded (that extra $600 in Uncle Sam sugar-money is temporary). How  does it continually fund if there are no taxpayers to pay taxes? No employers to fund it?

The land could not support a wide spread turn to hunting.  There are not enough game wardens to make sure that animals such as deer and turkey are not hunted into extinction in a lot of areas.  Same with fishing.  Not all soils are adaptable to vegetable growing.  When you see fields in most WNY counties into a hay crop most years out of a 25 year cycle it means the soil cannot support other crops long term.  Plowing the baby Appalachian mountains in the Southern Tier during WWI turned out to be an ecological disaster and many were returned to native growth and even some spots that were open before were planted to trees.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

No. To say you close down an economy until there is a vaccine or until we can make sure this is completely under control is asinine

I’m not ready to sacrifice lives. Maybe you are. I’m not. Money comes and goes. Life doesn’t. Once it’s gone it’s gone. 

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Right because being self sustaining is a bad thing.   Anyways you folks enjoy your evening.  Agree to disagree.

Being self sustaining is not a bad thing. Telling millions of unemployed people who live in urban areas to just start hunting and growing their own food Is obtuse.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1