The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Coronavirus uncontained: First case in U.S. from unknown source is from Bay Area

A Solano County resident has tested positive for the new coronavirus but had not recently traveled to any foreign country where the virus is spreading and had not had contact with any people with confirmed cases, public health officials said Wednesday.

The case marks the first time that U.S. authorities have not been able to determine the source of a coronavirus infection, and suggests that the virus may be spreading in the community. The patient is being treated in a Sacramento County hospital, according to the California Department of Public Health.

“At this time, the patient’s exposure is unknown,” the CDC said in a statement. “It’s possible this could be an instance of community spread of COVID-19, which would be the first time this has happened in the United States.”

Solano County:

image.thumb.png.44920979beafe6d3485977c229eb7b4f.png

@KD in CA @Dante (I can't think of anyone else who posts here that is in the Bay Area)

Suit up!

NaturalThankfulCuttlefish-size_restricte

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Rob's House said:

It's actually a really stupid point. Does anyone honestly think Pence is using his own medical judgment rather than heading up a team of experts.

These dipshits politicize everything.

I hire people not so I can tell them what to do I hire them to tell me what to do. 

- Steve Jobs

i think he did pretty well. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I hire people not so I can tell them what to do I hire them to tell me what to do. 

- Steve Jobs

i think he did pretty well. 

ummm....... SJ was pretty much known as a my way or the highway guy

13 hours ago, B-Man said:

Pence is a steady hand and that’s what’s needed here  a religious zealot whose own Indiana GOP legislature hated him and his policies. President Trump did the right thing making him point person.   for himself by setting up someone else to be the frontman if this effort goes south. 

FIFY

Thoughts and prayers.....corona virus conversion therapy might work!

WOMAN TOO INCOMPETENT TO KEEP A DO-NOTHING JOB WITH A TV STATION DOES HER BEST TO HELP MOM AND DAD GIN UP PANIC :  

Chelsea Clinton Rips Trump On Coronavirus.

Mark my words, in the US the mortality will be negligible, except perhaps in those cities which have become highly fecalized environments.  The impact will be economic. And let’s just say that the impact to the economy is not — repeat not — the fault of the president who tried to bring our industry back to America and minimize our exposure to the vagaries of corrupt and secretive regimes.

That the open borders, let every undocumented person in who can crawl across the border, health care for illegals, send all our jobs abroad crowd is pointing fingers at Trump as the chickens come home to roost is….  Well, as good as convincing our children that the party of slavery and segregation was always on the side of victims.

Guys, we either fight the propaganda or we die from it. Your choice.

SENSIBLE:  Let’s talk about coronavirus.

Look, guys, as with Ebola this coronavirus is almost certainly being spread by certain cultural practices.  What Bookworm calls “toilet hygiene” is completely different in much of the world. And we DO know some of the transmission is through fecal matter.

What we do know, though, is that so far the deaths in the US are of people who contracted the virus abroad. If people are sick in the US, it’s manifesting as a series of very bad colds or a returning virus. We’ve had these before, at least in military towns. Remember early 2000s when they were sending contractors back from Iraq when they couldn’t treat them? Fun times. I don’t remember what year it was everything in Colorado Springs closed, including the churches and the schools. I don’t remember, because I was sick over and over again, each time a weaker attack, till it passed. But none of us died. It was just truly annoying.

There are other factors than cultural practices. For instance, the population of Wuhan was under stresses we can’t even imagine.

Our particular issue is how enmeshed we allowed our economy to become with theirs. It’s time to split the sheets. The sooner, the better.

Meanwhile take sensible precautions, work from home if you can, and wash your hands. Oh, and don’t panic over the stock market. Killing the economy will only elect Bernie who’ll turn us into what China is.

Trump’s news conference was just crazy. He looked fine, even presidential for a while, then he went nuts. Started railing against people, said, they offered us more money than we asked for, lol. And the stock market responded in kind this morning. 

LESLIE EASTMAN: A biochemist’s analysis of President Trump’s coronavirus press conference.

FTA:

I listened to President Donald Trump’s press conference with extreme interest today. Immediately, I noted something fascinating: Rod Rosenstein’s sister was nowhere to be seen, and one of the featured members of Trump’s coronavirus response task force as the reasonable and rational HHS Secretary Alex Azar.

Clearly, this press conference was a masterful response by Trump to gain control of the flow of facts and provide full information to the American public without the distortions of media infected with Trump Derangement Syndrome.

One of the biggest questions I have had while preparing my Wuhan Virus Watch posts is: Exactly what is the current health status of the 15 Americans who were infected while within this country? The number will help us gauge exactly how lethal this virus is, as we clearly cannot rely on the Chinese data.

According to the President, the news is good.

The president revealed that of the “15” Americans confirmed to have the virus, eight have “returned to their homes to stay in their homes until fully recovered, one is in the hospital, and five have fully recovered; and one is, uh, we think in pretty good shape, and is in between hospital and going home.” Trump later said the person was “pretty sick and hopefully will recover.”

The means that the virus isn’t quite as deadly as many have feared. Factors that could work in our favor include great sanitation, access to excellent medical care, and good diet…all of which play a role in recovering from illness.

Another aspect of Trump’s announcement that I found encouraging was that he wasn’t appointing a “Coronavirus Czar”. I recall the antics of the “Ebola Czar” during the previous administration. The position, which as filled by an Obama operative, didn’t enhance one aspect of an initially chaotic response to the American cases of the deadly hemorrhagic fever.

Vice President Michael Pence is the perfect choice to head up the Task Force. Firstly, Pence clearly has not acted to undermine Trump in the past 3 plus-years of their partnership.

Secondly, like Azar, Pence will not engage in fear-mongering, and his demeanor will make it difficult for the press to go into panic-mode. But if Pence tells you its bad, chances are that the assessment won’t be based on fake videos or edited graphics.

Thirdly, this is a real chance for Pence to shine on his own despite the bright light of Trump’s charisma. Many of us are looking ahead to 2024, and a successful response by Pence would make him a formidable candidate if he opted to seek the Oval Office.

Perhaps the best moment in the press conference came when Trump, a known germaphobe, discussed being hugged by a sick man.

More at the link:

Quick observation: with all the condemnations of VP Pence the last 2 hours here on PPP (and elsewhere),  one has to wonder why you spent the last 3 1/2 years trying to make him President ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Democrats (and media) react to Trump’s Coronavirus response

Hilarious responses to a serious subject

As you watch the press freakout remember that less than two months ago we went into WW3.   ?

At his press conference on coronavirus, invited to respond to Nancy Pelosi and other critics who say he doesn't know what he's talking about, Trump goes strongly political.

Most of this press conference is above politics, and his answer to this question is, ultimately, that we need to work together and be above politics, but Trump dives straight into politics at this point, and he's blunt and, I think, very effective:

He says Pelosi is "incompetent" and "not thinking about the country." He points to the doctors on stage with him and says they are "the most talented people in the world" and "they shouldn't be demeaned."

He says, Nancy Pelosi knows what she is saying is not true, "she's trying to create a panic," and she's "trying to get a political advantage" when what is needed is for everyone to work together.

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Pope probably caught a cold off some little kid he was messing with. And the other dude is out of Iran.  Another day. More bullshite. More lies. More manipulation. It is entertaining to see the daily drama. 

Edited by Dante