The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

"I think we’re probably going to be embarrassed by the pandemic, every kind of reaction to it and the way it’s sort of defined our time."

"To me, it’s already sort of becoming an embarrassing topic, and you can feel people not wanting to talk about it.... I feel embarrassed about being a little irrational about certain topics and the politicization of every single thing that happened in that whole time period, where how people handled their own health was a political topic. And that just doesn’t make rational sense.

Also, how every single thing in our lives — even what music we listen to and what art we see — you have to align yourself with a certain political agenda. I think that will eventually feel embarrassing, or it’ll hopefully turn into something else, because I feel like there’s no end to that thought process. It makes people go a little crazy and become conspiracy theorists or just totally isolated from all of their friends."

Writes the essayist/novelist Natasha Stagg, one of many contributors to "Future Cringe/One day we’ll look back on this moment and wonder: What were we thinking?" (NYT).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/01/26/style/culture-regret-crocs-social-media-cringe.html

• Haha (+1) 1

It became political because it was used as a way to get rid of Trump by blaming him for Wuhan virus.  Now with more deaths under Joke despite all the vaccines and treatments, of course the left doesn't want to talk about it.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 1/31/2023 at 12:41 PM, B-Man said:

President Biden to end COVID-19 emergencies on May 11

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden informed Congress on Monday that he will end the twin national emergencies for addressing COVID-19 on...

https://apnews.com/article/biden-united-states-government-district-of-columbia-covid-public-health-2a80b547f6d55706a6986debc343b9fe

Some 'emergency' that it can simply be ended on some arbitrary date several months down the road,

The only reason for such a years-long emergency was to bypass the legislature  (re: American people)

80 days to go !!

5fvbXKP.jpg

SCIENCE !!

• Like (+1) 2

New Zealand adopted this.  What’s left of the West adopted a light version of it.  

And you were silenced and shunned when you questioned anything 

Low info losers here didn’t want schools to open until they thought we successfully did what China was doing - and require a community to go 14 days with NO cases before re opening.  

So much revealed about what’s left of this country during this sham.  

It was I’m sure a new virus.  We’ve debated the how and why and will until China takes over the world soon.

What is not up for debate, is the absolutely pathetic response.  At every level of society 

And you’re at minimum still wearing masks in every single doctors office and hospital.  You still have that masked co worker.  

Feel free to question all of it.  They’ve been lying to you since January of 2020.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

Meaningless. The only way out of this is through contact tracing, hand washing for 20 seconds minimum, masking, doing your part by staying six feet apart, and most importantly taking as many mRNA boosters as necessary even though there’s no science to say there are no ramifications in doing so. You just have to believe. Otherwise you are stupid and selfish. 

33 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Meaningless. The only way out of this is through contact tracing, hand washing for 20 seconds minimum, masking, doing your part by staying six feet apart, and most importantly taking as many mRNA boosters as necessary even though there’s no science to say there are no ramifications in doing so. You just have to believe. Otherwise you are stupid and selfish. 

You left out the best one. Governor Newsome didn’t want us go to in the wet sand. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/9/2023 at 9:50 AM, B-Man said:

80 days to go !!

5fvbXKP.jpg

SCIENCE !!

hmmm...didn't trump say we'd all be back at church for the first Covid Easter?

12 hours ago, JDHillFan said:

Because things are completely back to normal worldwide from natural immunity more than 3 years into it (how long was Scott Atlas predicting for herd immunity?)...many studies showing significantly improved outcomes (I've already linked CDC stats) for combo of prior infection and vax.  but you be you.  evolution serves a purpose.

from the article:  “The problem of saying ‘I’m gonna get infected to get immunity’ is you might be one of those people that end up in the hospital or die,” Murray said. “Why would you take the risk when you can get immunity through vaccination quite safely?” 

Covid was a novel virus.  NO ONE knew exactly what to expect so we relied on tried and true strategies which continue to be the logical course.  You want to skip vax?  have at it.  btw, Science was responsible for the Lancet paper because, oh I don't know, maybe Scientists want to learn and improve knowledge?

Edited by redtail hawk

6 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

hmmm...didn't trump say we'd all be back at church for the first Covid Easter?

Because things are completely back to normal worldwide from natural immunity...many studies showing significantly improved outcomes (I've already linked CDC stats) for combo of prior infection and vax.  but you be you.  evolution serves a purpose.

from the article:  “The problem of saying ‘I’m gonna get infected to get immunity’ is you might be one of those people that end up in the hospital or die,” Murray said. “Why would you take the risk when you can get immunity through vaccination quite safely?” 

Which for you and other risk-averse people equates to stupid and selfish. You are free to get unlimited boosters. Others, the stupid and selfish, will be ok with cold symptoms and a day or two with a fever and get their immunity that way. 

Also from the article:

The immunity generated from an infection was found to be “at least as high, if not higher” than that provided by two doses of an mRNA vaccine, according to a new study.

But you be you. With the low rate of people getting boosted you being you will result in membership in an exclusive club of the ultra-protected. I’m not entirely sure how that works since the science shows the boosters neither prevent infection nor the spread of it but whatever. Improved outcomes seems to be the extent of it. 

10 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Which for you and other risk-averse people equates to stupid and selfish. You are free to get unlimited boosters. Others, the stupid and selfish, will be ok with cold symptoms and a day or two with a fever and get their immunity that way. 

Also from the article:

The immunity generated from an infection was found to be “at least as high, if not higher” than that provided by two doses of an mRNA vaccine, according to a new study.

But you be you. With the low rate of people getting boosted you being you will result in membership in an exclusive club of the ultra-protected. I’m not entirely sure how that works since the science shows the boosters neither prevent infection nor the spread of it but whatever. Improved outcomes seems to be the extent of it. 

yes, improved outcomes like hospitalization and death...unimportant.  Science works on cures/treatments for rare diseases.  Should we stop cuz it only might result in improved outcomes for a few.  More than a few still are dying from covid.  you can't fix stupid.  maybe someday we'll find a cure and everyone will be better off.

Edited by redtail hawk

25 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

maybe someday we'll find a cure and everyone will be better off.

In the meantime keep getting as many mRNA boosters as you are told. They aren’t as good as natural immunity based on the most recent science but that’s unimportant. If there are any long term consequences that is not relevant either. It’s the only way we will ever get out of the pandemic. 

Also:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/18/politics/biden-pandemic-60-minutes/index.html

You should have more faith in your guy!

8 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

In the meantime keep getting as many mRNA boosters as you are told. They aren’t as good as natural immunity based on the most recent science but that’s unimportant. If there are any long term consequences that is not relevant either. It’s the only way we will ever get out of the pandemic. 

Also:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/18/politics/biden-pandemic-60-minutes/index.html

You should have more faith in your guy!

Technically he is correct.  Covid is no longer new.

Outbreak. A sudden increase of a specific illness in a small area. Pandemic. When a new disease spreads to many countries around the world.

Coronavirus & COVID-19: Glossary of Terms | UVA Health

But I agree, it was clumsy.  So sue him!

You truly aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

Edited by redtail hawk

4 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Technically he is correct.  Covid is no longer new.

Outbreak. A sudden increase of a specific illness in a small area. Pandemic. When a new disease spreads to many countries around the world.

Coronavirus & COVID-19: Glossary of Terms | UVA Health

But I agree, it was clumsy.  So sue him!

You truly aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

“let me do a quick google search and cut and paste the definition of pandemic so that I can prove the doddering old fool was technically correct on 60 minutes and then break out “so sue him” as a rejoinder. That will show that dullard!” - redhawk 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

“let me do a quick google search and cut and paste the definition of pandemic so that I can prove the doddering old fool was technically correct on 60 minutes and then break out “so sue him” as a rejoinder. That will show that dullard!” - redhawk 

pretty much correct except I didn't google search.  I have UVA as a fav as I was on faculty.