The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Ben Shapiro: China isn’t winning. The West is forfeiting

This week, The Wall Street Journal reported that three researchers from the Chinese Wuhan Institute of Virology were hospitalized in November 2019 with “symptoms consistent with both Covid-19 and common seasonal illness.” That report followed hard on a series of investigative pieces from journalists such as Nicholas Wade and Donald McNeil, formerly of The New York Times, who revived the media-dismissed theory that the institute had generated COVID-19 in a laboratory and then accidentally allowed it to leak. “The argument that it could have leaked out of the Wuhan Institute of Virology or a sister lab in Wuhan has become considerably stronger,” McNeil wrote. “And China’s lack of candor is disturbing.”

It now seems highly credible that COVID-19 originated inside a Chinese state laboratory — and that China knew about it as early as November. In mid-January, the World Health Organization reported, based on Chinese information, that “Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus.” China censured its own Dr. Li Wenliang for attempting to spread the news of COVID-19’s danger. It took until the end of January for China to lock down Wuhan.

We’ll never know the answers to those questions, because the same WHO that covered for China in the early days of the pandemic is responsible for investigating Chinese malfeasance today. And President Biden’s administration seems happy to keep it that way. Asked about whether America would lead an independent investigation into COVID-19’s Chinese origins, White House press secretary Jen Psaki stated, “We have repeatedly called for the WHO to support an expert-driven evaluation of the pandemic’s origins that is free from interference and politicization.”

Meanwhile, this week, actor John Cena apologized to the Chinese government. Cena, who stars in the upcoming “F9,” was being interviewed by a Taiwanese television station and committed the grave offense of stating that “Taiwan is the first country that can watch” the movie. China, of course, sees Taiwan as an outlying territory of China and denies Taiwanese sovereignty. So, Cena, whose film has already grossed over $100 million in China, quickly issued an apology in Mandarin, saying: “I made a mistake. Now I have to say one thing which is very, very, very important: I love and respect China and the Chinese people.”

The common thread here is a Western unwillingness to face down China’s authoritarian regime. For some on the left, challenging China means standing up for Western values like democracy and human rights — and this, in turn, raises questions about America’s own commitment to those principles. 

https://cdispatch.com/opinions/2021-05-26/ben-shapiro-china-isnt-winning-the-west-is-forfeiting/

But January 6th!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Calling it a "Chinese virus" was apparently racist.  And yes, the idiots who commit/committed the hate crimes couldn't figure out for themselves that it came from China and needed Trump to tell them... 🙄

We’ve been over this. Viruses are named after their place of origin. Even CNN called it a Chinese virus for weeks until they figured out they could use it against Trump. Does everyone think Ebola is a clothing store in suburban Missouri? 

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

We’ve been over this. Viruses are named after their place of origin. Even CNN called it a Chinese virus for weeks until they figured out they could use it against Trump. Does everyone think Ebola is a clothing store in suburban Missouri? 

I know.

49 minutes ago, B-Man said:

AN EPIDEMIOLOGIST CONFIRMS THAT THE CDC DIRECTOR MISREPRESENTED HER STUDY OF OUTDOOR COVID-19 TRANSMISSION.

https://reason.com/2021/05/26/an-epidemiologist-confirms-that-the-cdc-director-misrepresented-her-study-of-outdoor-covid-19-transmission/

This gets so confusing.

The science has told us 5 or 6 different stories about the same virus, and while some will say the science evolved, would you trust a waiter the *&$#ed up your drink order 6 times even if everyone assured you he was real cautious and one of the best waiters in the country?  How does the CDC director so badly mangle the numbers in play here?

There are nearly 110,000 people working at the CDC, no one caught the error?  

"So the 310 million that didn't get Covid will absolutely need boosters:"

---Big Pharma:

Immunity to coronaviruses lasts at least a year and could possibly last a lifetime, two new studies have found.

Why it matters: This could offer some peace of mind for lingering concerns about how long protection against COVID-19 will last, the New York Times reports.

The studies indicate those who've recovered from COVID-19 and got vaccinated won't need boosters, per the Times.

Meanwhile, those who weren't infected but were vaccinated will likely need boosters.

https://www.axios.com/covid-immunity-years-vaccines-95c29d68-a036-4c93-8803-6a8b225dccc9.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

This gets so confusing.

The science has told us 5 or 6 different stories about the same virus, and while some will say the science evolved, would you trust a waiter the *&$#ed up your drink order 6 times even if everyone assured you he was real cautious and one of the best waiters in the country?  How does the CDC director so badly mangle the numbers in play here?

There are nearly 110,000 people working at the CDC, no one caught the error?  

A problem is that in the public sector (government and education) the mechanisms for scientific inquiry, expression of professional opinion, debate over conflicting and inconsistent "facts" and "data", have been disabled and inhibited by political agendas.  Social media platforms classifying anything that disagrees with a particular conclusion as "misinformation" or "debunked".  MSM media outlets doing the same.   

Like the recent public awakening of the lab origin theory.  The media got it wrong from day one and dug in their heels.  This theory has always been plausible.  And you can bet your ass the media won't be issuing any apologizes and double bet your ass they won't be saying Trump was right.  It may be as simple as they all balked at the theory because Trump suggested the possibility.  And it presented another bashing opportunity to label him racist and xenophobic.  And they'd rather start themselves on fire in the middle of the street than admit he was right about anything.  Or maybe they're all on the CCP payroll in some fashion? 

Another theory concerning the CDC is the organizational intelligence of the agency has been dumbed down to the point of systemic incompetence by decades of diversity and preference hiring.  But a deep-dive on that one might belong on another topic board. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

A problem is that in the public sector (government and education) the mechanisms for scientific inquiry, expression of professional opinion, debate over conflicting and inconsistent "facts" and "data", have been disabled and inhibited by political agendas.  Social media platforms classifying anything that disagrees with a particular conclusion as "misinformation" or "debunked".  MSM media outlets doing the same.   

Like the recent public awakening of the lab origin theory.  The media got it wrong from day one and dug in their heels.  This theory has always been plausible.  And you can bet your ass the media won't be issuing any apologizes and double bet your ass they won't be saying Trump was right.  It may be as simple as they all balked at the theory because Trump suggested the possibility.  And it presented another bashing opportunity to label him racist and xenophobic.  And they'd rather start themselves on fire in the middle of the street than admit he was right about anything.  Or maybe they're all on the CCP payroll in some fashion? 

Another theory concerning the CDC is the organizational intelligence of the agency has been dumbed down to the point of systemic incompetence by decades of diversity and preference hiring.  But a deep-dive on that one might belong on another topic board. 

Close. The ‘media’ is the DNC. They didn’t get it wrong. They knew exactly what they were doing, reporting  and saying and they put politics ahead of American lives. Never let a crisis go to waste was never more fitting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Does anyone know if they have started working on an official vaccine tracking and credentials app yet?

Cuz that's gonna be sweet...

I really need more stuff tracking me to keep me safe ...

15 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Close. The ‘media’ is the DNC. They didn’t get it wrong. They knew exactly what they were doing, reporting  and saying and they put politics ahead of American lives. Never let a crisis go to waste was never more fitting. 

Recently my organization entered into a contractual arrangement with another firm on a specific project.  The project manager of the other firm used to work in my organization.  I know them well both professionally and personally.  Even though their employment history with our company is fairly common knowledge I was compelled to file a conflict of interest disclosure.  This describes the nature of the conflict and the plan to mitigate and address any potential situation where this conflict of interest might exist.   

That is the major issue with these "reporters" and "commentators".  They have a lot of conflicts of interest either disclosed or undisclosed.  Like the networks employing commentators like the director of national security, or the CIA, or the NSA, or some other agency.  They quite simply cannot be and are not completely objective when the need might arises to be critical of some act committed by some group inside the intelligence community. 

Which brings me to my main point.  Almost nobody in the media does any kind of investigation.  When investigating crimes and improprieties it is critical to examine relationships and connections between victims and perpetrators in many aspects.  But our current rendition of the free press is given the narrative and they run with it. 

One of the main tools of investigative journalism is uncovering and finding personal and professional relationships that exist in the area your investigating.  That's a logical way to get to all the facts and connections, connect the dots, and uncover the truth.  I go back to the Wuhan Lab theory that the official narrative called "debunked".  But some facts are that the NIH had contracted the Wuhan Lab to the tune of $3+M to perform some research.  Using an intermediary "bag man" company, EcoHealth.  This isn't a secret.  This I suspect to avoid things like disclosure and freedom of information requests as private contractors are exempt (lots of government organizations use this approach to hide things from disclosure).  The NIH owes the public an explanation.  So far they have been silent.  And independent press would turn up the heat on them to do so.  So far the press has acted like their main concern is to see this story go away.

Its also not a secret that WHO contracted the very same EcoHealth to assist in performing their investigation of the lab.  Guess what they found?  So why didn't EcoHealth either decline the WHO contact because of a conflict of interest, investigating an organization and facility where they had a large financial interest and role, or simply clearly disclosing that conflict of interest?  Why did WHO hire them knowing this?  And why didn't the networks with so many resources and reporters "out" this arrangement?  And why did independent investigative journalists that did report on the arrangement get shut down?

As you said the media is the DNC.  How can we expect people telling us the "news" to be fair and objective when they have so many disclosed and in most cases undisclosed conflicts of interest?  These are not run of the mill political party members we might meet and discuss things with over drinks in some local bar.  These are high-level activists in a political party with its own interests that clearly conflict with the public interest maintaining a free press.  While there are abuses of this in other political philosophies the conflict of interests between the DNC and a free Press is systemic.  If you look at dictatorships one of the first and critical things they do is bring all press and media under the control of some ministry or department they control.  We're on that path but we can't allow that to happen.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Recently my organization entered into a contractual arrangement with another firm on a specific project.  The project manager of the other firm used to work in my organization.  I know them well both professionally and personally.  Even though their employment history with our company is fairly common knowledge I was compelled to file a conflict of interest disclosure.  This describes the nature of the conflict and the plan to mitigate and address any potential situation where this conflict of interest might exist.   

That is the major issue with these "reporters" and "commentators".  They have a lot of conflicts of interest either disclosed or undisclosed.  Like the networks employing commentators like the director of national security, or the CIA, or the NSA, or some other agency.  They quite simply cannot be and are not completely objective when the need might arises to be critical of some act committed by some group inside the intelligence community. 

Which brings me to my main point.  Almost nobody in the media does any kind of investigation.  When investigating crimes and improprieties it is critical to examine relationships and connections between victims and perpetrators in many aspects.  But our current rendition of the free press is given the narrative and they run with it. 

One of the main tools of investigative journalism is uncovering and finding personal and professional relationships that exist in the area your investigating.  That's a logical way to get to all the facts and connections, connect the dots, and uncover the truth.  I go back to the Wuhan Lab theory that the official narrative called "debunked".  But some facts are that the NIH had contracted the Wuhan Lab to the tune of $3+M to perform some research.  Using an intermediary "bag man" company, EcoHealth.  This isn't a secret.  This I suspect to avoid things like disclosure and freedom of information requests as private contractors are exempt (lots of government organizations use this approach to hide things from disclosure).  The NIH owes the public an explanation.  So far they have been silent.  And independent press would turn up the heat on them to do so.  So far the press has acted like their main concern is to see this story go away.

Its also not a secret that WHO contracted the very same EcoHealth to assist in performing their investigation of the lab.  Guess what they found?  So why didn't EcoHealth either decline the WHO contact because of a conflict of interest, investigating an organization and facility where they had a large financial interest and role, or simply clearly disclosing that conflict of interest?  Why did WHO hire them knowing this?  And why didn't the networks with so many resources and reporters "out" this arrangement?  And why did independent investigative journalists that did report on the arrangement get shut down?

As you said the media is the DNC.  How can we expect people telling us the "news" to be fair and objective when they have so many disclosed and in most cases undisclosed conflicts of interest?  These are not run of the mill political party members we might meet and discuss things with over drinks in some local bar.  These are high-level activists in a political party with its own interests that clearly conflict with the public interest maintaining a free press.  While there are abuses of this in other political philosophies the conflict of interests between the DNC and a free Press is systemic.  If you look at dictatorships one of the first and critical things they do is bring all press and media under the control of some ministry or department they control.  We're on that path but we can't allow that to happen.  

It’s a tough balancing act. When the topic is politics, I want to hear from people who actually have experience and know what they’re talking about, as opposed to people like Jesse Waters, Kat, that idiot Greg guy, a drunk lady judge, and Sean Hannity.

The problem is when that overlaps into other news topics.

I don’t want to hear what Howard Dean thinks about the origin of Covid. Young guns are also using to the networks to audition for jobs in WH administrations. I don’t like that. Half of Trump’s administration were regulars on FOX.

I would put the Fairness Doctrine back in place and cable news goes away.

Edited by Governor

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

At my Gym they have both CNN and Fox on the televisions side by side. You can’t hear other one of them. You can just see the headline banner at the bottom of the screen and occasionally they have the subtitles running, so you can read the ‘reporting’. It’s literally like two alternate universes. Everyone in the gym just laughs! There could be a mushroom cloud over Los Angeles and CNN would be running non stop Trump gossip. You can’t tell me this isn’t purely state sponsored propaganda now. Very dangerous.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

At my Gym they have both CNN and Fox on the televisions side by side. You can’t hear other one of them. You can just see the headline banner at the bottom of the screen and occasionally they have the subtitles running, so you can read the ‘reporting’. It’s literally like two alternate universes. Everyone in the gym just laughs! There could be a mushroom cloud over Los Angeles and CNN would be running non stop Trump gossip. You can’t tell me this isn’t purely state sponsored propaganda now. Very dangerous.

Propoganda door swings both ways though.

As far as where to go from here, I have evolved my thinking to say that we should open things back up again.  That would be fairest to the vaccinated.  And for the unvaccinated, if you're going to be so pig headed by now that you refuse to be vaccinated, wear masks, etc. then you deserve what you get if you become infected.  Only thing I'd do is still consider masks in elementary schools this fall if kids that age are not eligible for the vaccine by then.

18 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Only thing I'd do is still consider masks in elementary schools this fall if kids that age are not eligible for the vaccine by then.

Why? Been proven in many studies transmission generating from kids in schools is next to non existent. Transmission occurs between adult staff..both teachers and non teachers. 

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/21/999106426/schools-are-dropping-mask-requirements-but-new-cdc-study-suggests-they-shouldnt

If you believe masks work, teachers and staff that are non vaccinated maybe an argument could be made to wear masks? 

Is it not about the science after all ?

• Agree 3

Indy 500 sells out, 135,000 fans expected on Sunday

Indianapolis Motor Speedway will host 135,000 racing fans for the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday and the sold-out crowd will represent a big step forward as North American sports continue to turn the page on the COVID-19 pandemic.

"We've hit our capacity for this year's Indianapolis 500 and look forward to hosting 135,000 fans at the world's largest sporting event since the pandemic began," race organizers said on Thursday.

"We're thrilled to welcome fans 'Back Home Again' and appreciate our loyal customers and their continued support."

The 135,000 represents approximately 40% of the venue capacity, which is being constrained to stem the spread of the virus.

Health officials credit rising vaccination rates in Indiana and nationwide for the state's ability to hold such a large gathering.

A year ago, the "Greatest Spectacle in Racing" was held without a single fan in attendance for the first time in its history.

The 105th running of the race on Sunday will require spectators to wear masks when not eating or drinking, will check temperatures at the entrance and will have social distancing requirements inside the track.

(Excerpt) Read more at  .https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/indy-500-sells-out-135000-fans-expected-sunday-2021-05-27/

• Awesome! (+1) 1