The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 hours ago, Capco said:

Why are you pinning this on Biden?  After all, you JUST said:  

So which SoCal Deek post am I supposed to follow?

Good gravy! We have a serious reading comprehension problem here. I’m NOT pinning this on Biden! If you slow down and READ a bit, you’d see my point is the exact opposite! Biden’s done nothing different from Trump since taking office. Why? Because there’s nothing the President really has the authority to do...and that senile sack of crap knew it prior to taking office...but this country of nitwits bought into the lie hook, line and sinker. 

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

That America is filled with a bunch of woke virtue signaling dupes that prefer to be controlled and like mocking freedom.  

And we're the most narcissistic people to ever walk the earth.   

What’s stunning is that I can post these ABSOLUTE FACTS and nobody wants to even touch them. Nope! They run from them as if they were radioactive. Facts are pesky things when you’re trying to control the population with panic and misinformation. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 4/10/2021 at 4:49 PM, Chef Jim said:

The flu of 1918 killed a lot more people but went away rather quickly without a vaccine. What do you think explains that?

That H1N1 virus mutates a lot--not like the SARS-COV, which has mostly mutated just along the spike protein. This is why the vaccines are proving more effective against the variants--the vaccines all focus on the spike protein.

Also in 1918-21, 1/3 (!!!) of the human race caught it (herd, massive variant possibilities) and that H1N1 flu's direct descendants still rise up every once in a while on grand scale, 2009 being the most recent bigger moment, and are in circulation every year. It never "went away" as you said it did. 

As has been said many times, this ain't the flu for better (it should mutate more slowly, doesn't kill kids) and worse (it's been more contagious and deadly overall).  

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

That America is filled with a bunch of woke virtue signaling dupes that prefer to be controlled and like mocking freedom.  

And we're the most narcissistic people to ever walk the earth.   

I hope they keep their virtue signaling off of your lawn.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/health/coronavirus-hygiene-cleaning-surfaces.html

A FAREWELL TO HYGIENE THEATER? 

Has the Era of Overzealous Cleaning Finally Come to an End?

This week, the C.D.C. acknowledged what scientists have been saying for months: The risk of catching the coronavirus from surfaces is low.

When the coronavirus began to spread in the United States last spring, many experts warned of the danger posed by surfaces. Researchers reported that the virus could survive for days on plastic or stainless steel, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advised that if someone touched one of these contaminated surfaces — and then touched their eyes, nose or mouth — they could become infected.

Americans responded in kind, wiping down groceries, quarantining mail and clearing drugstore shelves of Clorox wipes. Facebook closed two of its offices for a “deep cleaning.” New York’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority began disinfecting subway cars every night.

But the era of “hygiene theater” may have come to an unofficial end this week, when the C.D.C. updated its surface cleaning guidelines and noted that the risk of contracting the virus from touching a contaminated surface was less than 1 in 10,000.

“People can be affected with the virus that causes Covid-19 through contact with contaminated surfaces and objects,” Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the director of the C.D.C., said at a White House briefing on Monday. “However, evidence has demonstrated that the risk by this route of infection of transmission is actually low.” . . .

“Finally,” said Linsey Marr, an expert on airborne viruses at Virginia Tech. “We’ve known this for a long time and yet people are still focusing so much on surface cleaning.” She added, “There’s really no evidence that anyone has ever gotten Covid-19 by touching a contaminated surface.” . . .

“This should be the end of deep cleaning,” Dr. Allen said, noting that the misplaced focus on surfaces has had real costs. “It has led to closed playgrounds, it has led to taking nets off basketball courts, it has led to quarantining books in the library. It has led to entire missed school days for deep cleaning. It has led to not being able to share a pencil. So that’s all that hygiene theater, and it’s a direct result of not properly classifying surface transmission as low risk.”

We’ve known this for months; glad the CDC is finally catching up.

That said, anything that got New York and Boston to clean their subways can’t be all bad.

16 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think if the libs in office, in the media, and at the CDC had been honest about the superspreader protest events we saw all last summer, we would have flattened the curve early on as projected and the death count would have been far, far less.   

The desire to protest on behalf of social issues is an important part of the fabric of our nation, but the silence was deafening as people ignored just about every guideline recommended by the CDC.   On top of that, the hypocrisy of the approach lead many folks to question the true nature of the lockdown as the govt chose winners and losers. 

It's sad you can't admit the truth. 

Just admit it, Trump's in door events, without precautions, were way worse than any spontaneous events that took place outside. 

Trump called those events. Trump organized and held events during a pandemic. Whataboutism all you want. You can't face that simple truth. 

15 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

No.  Once we knew about the fact that you could have asymptomatic carrying for a couple weeks, we could have all gotten behind masking and distancing.  A lot less people would have died.

Here’s where I hope we’ll find common ground:

Or we could’ve have simply super-isolated OLD PEOPLE since they were/are the ones that were/are actually at risk of dying! 

For the life of me I cannot figure out what the Trump Administration was doing there. That was their biggest messaging misstep. While I still agree that it had to be handled at the State level, more information was needed and should have been disseminated. If this had a been an infant centric disease, you can bet it would’ve been.

21 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

It's sad you can't admit the truth. 

Just admit it, Trump's in door events, without precautions, were way worse than any spontaneous events that took place outside. 

Trump called those events. Trump organized and held events during a pandemic. Whataboutism all you want. You can't face that simple truth. 

Tibsy’s “COVID For Dummies” has now been updated to reflect that the virus transmission is severely hampered by events deemed “spontaneous”.  

So, to recap..

1. Close proximity is bad, unless it’s not; 

2. Unnecessary travel and interaction with others spreads the virus, unless it doesn’t;

3.  Animated dialogue in close contact contributes to the spread, unless deemed otherwise;

4.  Spontaneous gatherings have a virus forcefield around them that prevents transmission; 

Conclusion:  It is best to surprise Grandma with a visit ONLY while wearing a dirty Greenpeace T. 

Credit though, for acknowledging that the virus spread caused by the gatherings was bad.  That’s a start. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Tibsy’s “COVID For Dummies” has now been updated to reflect that the virus transmission is severely hampered by events deemed “spontaneous”.  

So, to recap..

1. Close proximity is bad, unless it’s not; 

2. Unnecessary travel and interaction with others spreads the virus, unless it doesn’t;

3.  Animated dialogue in close contact contributes to the spread, unless deemed otherwise;

4.  Spontaneous gatherings have a virus forcefield around them that prevents transmission; 

Conclusion:  It is best to surprise Grandma with a visit ONLY while wearing a dirty Greenpeace T. 

Credit though, for acknowledging that the virus spread caused by the gatherings was bad.  That’s a start. 

So Trump DID do something bad with super spreader events, or not? 

Boy, you sure are evasive 

22 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here’s where I hope we’ll find common ground:

Or we could’ve have simply super-isolated OLD PEOPLE since they were/are the ones that were/are actually at risk of dying! 

For the life of me I cannot figure out what the Trump Administration was doing there. That was their biggest messaging misstep. While I still agree that it had to be handled at the State level, more information was needed and should have been disseminated. If this had a been an infant centric disease, you can bet it would’ve been.

That would have helped.  But one of the unique features of Covid was the asymptomatic carrier status, 

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

That would have helped.  But one of the unique features of Covid was the asymptomatic carrier status, 

Let’s say you’re right. So...you STILL protect old people! We can all play Monday morning QB but I believe we should’ve have gone about our regular lives, and made it really clear that if you live with or come in contact with a senior citizen that you needed to take serious precautions. We could’ve created and army of meal deliverers. (We sort of did anyway.) We would’ve left schools open and sent older teachers home. Etc. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let’s say you’re right. So...you STILL protect old people! We can all play Monday morning QB but I believe we should’ve have gone about our regular lives, and made it really clear that if you live with or come in contact with a senior citizen that you needed to take serious precautions. We could’ve created and army of meal deliverers. (We sort of did anyway.) We would’ve left schools open and sent older teachers home. Etc. 

The fatal aspects of the virus are concentrated among the elderly with immune systems degraded by the aging process and among people having a pre-existing condition that also degrades the immune system.  Such as diabetes and obesity.  Two very common and systemic conditions among Americans.  Almost all patients that died had some other pre-existing condition.

My county has kept good statistics on the outbreak since the beginning.  There have been 21,147 cases confirmed by testing with 703 deaths.  97% of all deaths occurred among the 50+ population against 40% of the cases.  30-49 reported the other 3%.  No deaths were reported among the 0-29 age group.

The breakout is:

80+ 6% of cases, 54% of deaths

65-79 10% of cases, 30% of deaths

50-64 24% of cases, 12% of deaths

30-49 29% of cases, 3 % of deaths

18-29 20% of cases, 0% of deaths

5-17 9% of cases, 0% of deaths

0-4 2% of cases, 0% of deaths

State and national statistics show the same patterns within a small range of deviation.  These numbers show which age groups are most at-risk of a fatal event.  Part of the problem of isolating the oldest and most at risk is the fact that family units might comprise individuals from several of these age groups and not just one.  But we could have done a better job of protecting the most vulnerable and given our understanding of the virus and the at-risk factors provide a custom individual assessment for a person given their specific condition.  And let life go on as close as possible to "normal" for those at close to zero risk of death. 

Fortunately there are some promising treatments coming out of the clinical trial pipeline that should gain FDA EUA approval that give doctor's better treatment options to significantly cut the fatality rate going forward.

32 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The fatal aspects of the virus are concentrated among the elderly with immune systems degraded by the aging process and among people having a pre-existing condition that also degrades the immune system.  Such as diabetes and obesity.  Two very common and systemic conditions among Americans.  Almost all patients that died had some other pre-existing condition.

My county has kept good statistics on the outbreak since the beginning.  There have been 21,147 cases confirmed by testing with 703 deaths.  97% of all deaths occurred among the 50+ population against 40% of the cases.  30-49 reported the other 3%.  No deaths were reported among the 0-29 age group.

The breakout is:

State and national statistics show the same patterns within a small range of deviation.  These numbers show which age groups are most at-risk of a fatal event.  Part of the problem of isolating the oldest and most at risk is the fact that family units might comprise individuals from several of these age groups and not just one.  But we could have done a better job of protecting the most vulnerable and given our understanding of the virus and the at-risk factors provide a custom individual assessment for a person given their specific condition.  And let life go on as close as possible to "normal" for those at close to zero risk of death. 

Fortunately there are some promising treatments coming out of the clinical trial pipeline that should gain FDA EUA approval that give doctor's better treatment options to significantly cut the fatality rate going forward.

Thanks for the in depth analysis. So what happened? Why couldn’t we just say that to people? Why all the fear mongering? From the very outset I found this whole thing to be a truly pathetic mess, with politics having gotten wrapped around a simple health issue. Sad on so many levels! 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for the in depth analysis. So what happened? Why couldn’t we just say that to people? Why all the fear mongering? From the very outset I found this whole thing to be a truly pathetic mess, with politics having gotten wrapped around a simple health issue. Sad on so many levels! 

I wish I had the answer to those questions.  But I do wonder if critical and logical thinking are becoming a lost art.  The link below is timely to this topic.

https://brucewilds.blogspot.com/2021/04/stimulus-and-covid-19-attitudes-reflect.html

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The breakout is:

I'll add that it is *very* likely that in all fatalities and severe cases, the patient was extremely deficient in Vitamin D, like a single digit level.    This isn't a COVID thing - viruses love Vitamin D deficient bodies and the obese and elderly bodies are always deficient without supplementation.  You may find 1 out of 10 that isn't and I'd offer that anyone who supplements with it daily has either avoided COVID altogether or had a very mild case.   

I'd argue that the vaccine is worthless in a D-deficient body and a body with a high D level that isn't elderly is as strong as a vaccinated one.  

The catch is that you need a blood test to measure your levels which requires a diligence most neither have nor can afford unless you're already being treated for something where it's part of the workup.  

8 hours ago, Tiberius said:

So Trump DID do something bad with super spreader events, or not? 

Boy, you sure are evasive 

I strive to be as direct as possible but can’t account for your inability to follow a topic through to conclusion.  

I thought the rallies were a mistake.  There was precious little upside, and surely we knew the media would excoriate him and with Americans huddled in fear in their houses over a mysterious virus, a lot of downside. 

I think he counted on the common sense of the American people looking at the treatment of massive protests and nary a word of the dangers  associated with them, people would see through the billshyt of a Fauc and his evolving tale of danger.  

I am glad that you have finally acknowledged that the protests were bad as it relates to Covid spread.  That’s a start. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

The messaging to "get vaccinated" is truly astounding.

It almost sounds like "don't bother."

The good doctor's NIH was funding secret "gain of function" virus research at the suspected Wuhan lab.  Genetic research that is banned from being conducted on US soil.  Because it is deemed too dangerous.  Research on viruses such as Coronavirus.  Connect the dots here between his consistently wrong advice and his connection to the lab.  My conclusion.. he's working hard to cover his ass and mislead while also covering for China's complicity in the virus escaping containment as a result of poorly defined and run safety protocols.    

• Thank you (+1) 1