The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It of course stands to reason that if you wear a mask and never leave your house that you’ll be less apt to catch a transmittable disease...sure. But it’s simply not the President’s job to keep everyone from catching a disease. He has to weigh a lot of factors in making decisions and giving his opinion. He does so on dozens of topics every day. I have no problem with the decisions he made. You do, and that’s OK...we can choose to disagree.

I think I have mentioned my favorite President was Truman.  Not necessarily for his policies but because he had to make more critical decisions than perhaps any other President than Lincoln.  And he always shot straight with the American public.  The Buck Stops Here.  When I think of how he would have dealt with the pandemic and compare to Trump (I take no responsibility) it both saddens.and enrages me.

• Disagree 1

Issue: 

Biggest outbreak in the country is Michigan.  The virus apparently knows political borders.  

Logical conclusion: 

Masks aren't working in Michigan and people are dumb.

Fact: 

Michigan locked down more then most others for longer period of time; compliance was high from the beginning.  Few people got the virus until they started to open more BY JANUARY 2021.   

Lockdowns did nothing but delay till a vaccine came - which may not have happened but thank God our health system was never Canada (which is a complete disaster).  Remember when we had to be like them?  Lololol.  

So what was the exit strategy if no vaccine?

All mandates need to be lifted immediately in every state. 

59 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think I have mentioned my favorite President was Truman.  Not necessarily for his policies but because he had to make more critical decisions than perhaps any other President than Lincoln.  And he always shot straight with the American public.  The Buck Stops Here.  When I think of how he would have dealt with the pandemic and compare to Trump (I take no responsibility) it both saddens.and enrages me.

Then if you’re being honest you must be infuriated by President Biden. He’s done almost nothing different since he’s entered office. Where was the mask mandate? Wheres the lockdown? Wheres the moratorium on air travel?  Where’s the strict border policy when we should be vetting the undocumented? Where’s the straight talk about ANYTHING related to Covid? We’ve seen and heard almost nothing about the pandemic whatsoever and yet almost 100,000 Americans have died since he took office. 

It's been awhile since I posted any data but now that we're past the one year anniversary of this entire debacle here's what we see:

Deaths Per Million in the largest States:

US Average   1,739

California      1,528

Texas            1,704

Florida          1,586

NY                2,638

Illinois           1,876

What this shows is that there's almost no major difference between any of these States after a year. Sure, NY got hit early and stayed 'out ahead' for the entirety of the year, but if you take out that early surge, you couldn't flip a coin and get more similar results. These states are run by the Left, the Right and everything in between. They are in warm weather climates, cold weather climates, feature big cities and more rural communities. 

This is the data. So what did we learn? 

Edited by SoCal Deek

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

It's been awhile since I posted any data but now that we're past the one year anniversary of this entire debacle here's what we see:

Deaths Per Million in the largest States:

US Average   1,739

California      1,528

Texas            1,704

Florida          1,586

NY                2,638

Illinois           1,876

What this shows is that there's almost no major difference between any of these States after a year. Sure, NY got hit early and stayed 'out ahead' for the entirety of the year, but if you take out that early surge, you couldn't flip a coin and get more similar results. These states are run by the Left, the Right and everything in between. They are in warm weather climates, cold weather climates, feature big cities and more rural communities. 

This is the data. So what did we learn? 

That America is filled with a bunch of woke virtue signaling dupes that prefer to be controlled and like mocking freedom.  

And we're the most narcissistic people to ever walk the earth.   

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Then if you’re being honest you must be infuriated by President Biden. He’s done almost nothing different since he’s entered office. Where was the mask mandate? Wheres the lockdown? Wheres the moratorium on air travel?  Where’s the strict border policy when we should be vetting the undocumented? Where’s the straight talk about ANYTHING related to Covid? We’ve seen and heard almost nothing about the pandemic whatsoever and yet almost 100,000 Americans have died since he took office. 

Why are you pinning this on Biden?  After all, you JUST said:  

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

But it’s simply not the President’s job to keep everyone from catching a disease.

So which SoCal Deek post am I supposed to follow?

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The masking data is incontrovertible.  Laboratory and observational studies all indicate mitigation depending on the type of mask. And the leader of the country knew about the severity of the pandemic and abdicated his responsibility.

Trump abdicated nothing. He’s the reason we have a vaccine now, no doubt. We’d be waiting for years if the Dems has been in power.Mask mandate is unconstitutional, that’s why we don’t have one. You see, we live in a free country where our rights are acknowledged as being endowed from our creator. In liberal terms , we are “ born this way”  We don’t get these rights from any government, rather the government must respect them. Virtually all of the pandemic related restrictions are unconstitutional, and the people of this country should probably have rioted to have them lifted. The level of stupidity in our population is unprecedented and here we are 14 months later. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Trump abdicated nothing. He’s the reason we have a vaccine now, no doubt. We’d be waiting for years if the Dems has been in power.Mask mandate is unconstitutional, that’s why we don’t have one. You see, we live in a free country where our rights are acknowledged as being endowed from our creator. In liberal terms , we are “ born this way”  We don’t get these rights from any government, rather the government must respect them. Virtually all of the pandemic related restrictions are unconstitutional, and the people of this country should probably have rioted to have them lifted. The level of stupidity in our population is unprecedented and here we are 14 months later. 

LMAO - Trump had nothing to do with the first vaccine released.

16 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

A mask mandate is not unconstitutional and they never mandated one federally.  States did, and governors have executive power to do so.  And the we we are endowed by our creator line is from the Declaration and not the Constitution.  Your level of stupidity regarding the constitution is stunning.

As far as Trump abdicating responsibility the list of things he should have done but didn’t is too long to detail here.  We could start with him knowing it would be severe but then told Americans otherwise.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

A mask mandate is not unconstitutional and they never mandated one federally.  States did, and governors have executive power to do so.  And the we we are endowed by our creator line is from the Declaration and not the Constitution.  Your level of stupidity regarding the constitution is stunning.

The quote is from the declaration, never said it wasn’t. There are many who have opined that a federal mask mandate for all states would be unconstitutional and I agree ( though I’m sure it would be challenged and debated). Nice try though. 

On 4/9/2021 at 10:19 AM, Tiberius said:

Trump officials celebrated efforts to change CDC reports on coronavirus

Even as career government scientists worked to combat the virus, a cadre of Trump appointees was trying to blunt the scientists’ messages, edit their findings and equip the president with alternate talking points, according to material obtained by the House’s select subcommittee on the outbreak.

By Dan Diamond16 minutes ago

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/09/cdc-covid-political-interference/

How many died needlessly? Trump is a mass killer 

I think if the libs in office, in the media, and at the CDC had been honest about the superspreader protest events we saw all last summer, we would have flattened the curve early on as projected and the death count would have been far, far less.   

The desire to protest on behalf of social issues is an important part of the fabric of our nation, but the silence was deafening as people ignored just about every guideline recommended by the CDC.   On top of that, the hypocrisy of the approach lead many folks to question the true nature of the lockdown as the govt chose winners and losers. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

The quote is from the declaration, never said it wasn’t. There are many who have opined that a federal mask mandate for all states would be unconstitutional and I agree ( though I’m sure it would be challenged and debated). Nice try though. 

Again it is moot.  No one claimed a mask mandate at a federal level.  You are erecting false straw men you can knock down to try and make yourself look smart.  It didn’t work.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Again it is moot.  No one claimed a mask mandate at a federal level.  You are erecting false straw men you can knock down to try and make yourself look smart.  It didn’t work.

It’s hardly moot. The moron in chief has brought it up many times, and there are still many folks who call for it . Not a straw man at all. The left wants more restrictions, most arbitrary and probably illegal, and endless lockdowns even though they’re not effective. 

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

As far as Trump abdicating responsibility the list of things he should have done but didn’t is too long to detail here.  We could start with him knowing it would be severe but then told Americans otherwise.

True or False:

They ALL (Fauci, China, the WHO, CDC) knew this was primarily an aerosolized virus in February of 2020.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Those statements were made very early before we realized the extent of the pandemic.  Trump didD his big events when the pandemic was in full force, when the value of masking and distancing were established, and after he admitted to Woodward how bad the pandemic was but the lied to the people.  You know this, so be better than this.

Those statements were made by the foremost authority in the world, a man with decades of service in his field. They also took place several months after China was already dealing with the virus.  As the virus unfolded, turns out maybe his initial thoughts were correct.  

It seems to me that the top dog in the world would have been better prepared to address this topic and not look a hospital candy striper playing doctor.   He speaks in absolutes, waffles on important issues like protests, and takes very little responsibility.  

The guy is a chump. Maybe he’s been in the game too long. 

40 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Probably true.  Many viruses are.  But it took research to confirm.

Which means there was NEVER a time there was "anything" we could do except stay home till a cure or a vaccine. 

Literally everything else is theater.  All of it.  

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Which means there was NEVER a time there was "anything" we could do except stay home till a cure or a vaccine. 

Literally everything else is theater.  All of it.  

No.  Once we knew about the fact that you could have asymptomatic carrying for a couple weeks, we could have all gotten behind masking and distancing.  A lot less people would have died.