The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Cases aren’t rising, more people are being tested.

If you started issuing IQ tests to the population at large, you’d suddenly notice an epidemic of morons.  There would be just as many morons as there were before, but now you’d be able to identify them without having to listen to them tell you about a spike in Covid cases.

will this death be marked as a covid death? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Cases aren’t rising, more people are being tested.

If you started issuing IQ tests to the population at large, you’d suddenly notice an epidemic of morons.  There would be just as many morons as there were before, but now you’d be able to identify them without having to listen to them tell you about a spike in Covid cases.

Here's the hospitilization data from Ohio ( a few days old and has continued to increase through today)

2NYWEYZZPBBW3NI7ECOF6WYIJI.png

And my docs who work the ER here at Metrohealth in Cleveland tell me they've reopened the extra Covid and ICU space, definitely many more Covid patients they're seeing since June and younger (40s-60s) and definitely very sick.

WRT new cases and testing, many more tests administered, positivity rate remains mostly the same (bottomed out in June, now very slowly rising).  So you're correct that a large portion, though not all, of Ohio's situation is due to increased testing.  However, hospitilizations have always told the true story so I attempted to make this graph nice and big for someone as willfully ignorant of the full story such as yourself.  

How ironic that you perceive an epidemic of morons.

3 hours ago, shoshin said:

Over half the deaths are in 4 states.  3 of which are the largest in the Union.

46 states averaged 11 deaths.  Been like this and less for last 2 months.  

Is that bad?  

Edited by Big Blitz

7 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

Here's the hospitilization data from Ohio ( a few days old and has continued to increase through today)

2NYWEYZZPBBW3NI7ECOF6WYIJI.png

And my docs who work the ER here at Metrohealth in Cleveland tell me they've reopened the extra Covid and ICU space, definitely many more Covid patients they're seeing since June and younger (40s-60s) and definitely very sick.

WRT new cases and testing, many more tests administered, positivity rate remains mostly the same (bottomed out in June, now very slowly rising).  So you're correct that a large portion, though not all, of Ohio's situation is due to increased testing.  However, hospitilizations have always told the true story so I attempted to make this graph nice and big for someone as willfully ignorant of the full story such as yourself.  

How ironic that you perceive an epidemic of morons.

Even Hospitalizations don’t tell the “true story”.  In places that have had high prevalency of the virus some hospitals have reported around 30% of their “COVID-19” hospitalizations as people who were admitted to the hospital for non COVID-19 related reasons.  Whatever the COVID-19 Hospitalizations you see have an element of this.

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Wherever hasn’t been hit at burnout or near burnout levels are at risk.  Australia was never really hit so they are vulnerable.  Even though Spain was hit hard, most of these new infections are coming from Barcelona which were relatively Miley hit in comparison to Madrid.   

Alex has been doing great work that the mainstream media sycophants have either been unwilling or incapable of doing.    His larger point is an astute one which is that Temporary lock downs only delay the inevitable.  Unless you maintain very strict social distancing measures, severe limits on immigration or don’t have some sort of medical biological explanation, the odds that the virus re emerging is somewhat high.  

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Over half the deaths are in 4 states.  3 of which are the largest in the Union.

46 states averaged 11 deaths.  Been like this and less for last 2 months.  

Is that bad?  

The potentially good news is that the largest populated cities in all 4 of the largest states have either burnout or are showing signs of reaching that point which is why I think if this theory of burnout is correct that we will be peaking within the next few weeks and hopefully that will prove to be the peak of this second wave.  My only concern is that the peak stays at a plateau for an extended period.

But if this burnout theory plays out then I don’t believe we will see higher COVID-19 peaks than what we will be seeing at this coming peak.

47 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

That arm angle on the follow through 

It was like a Brady intentional grounding that never gets called

You're right on Fauci.   No hope.

And holy sheet on that no call.  I would like to go back to forgetting that.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

I will never be able to. Worst missed intentional grounding I have witnessed. At least it was 3rd down.

I dislike your political takes, but I will still buy you a beer sir.  We have a common mortal enemy (TB12), and I will set politics aside to slay that dragon.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Magox said:

The potentially good news is that the largest populated cities in all 4 of the largest states have either burnout or are showing signs of reaching that point which is why I think if this theory of burnout is correct that we will be peaking within the next few weeks and hopefully that will prove to be the peak of this second wave.  My only concern is that the peak stays at a plateau for an extended period.

But if this burnout theory plays out then I don’t believe we will see higher COVID-19 peaks than what we will be seeing at this coming peak.

I agree with this, though I watch the data cautiously. School mixing (which I think will be OK) is a big moment, and the fall temp change is another one. 

Setting aside some societal changes like that, I would think that one of the only big population areas that hasn't been hit hard yet is the NW all the way down to SFO. The Carolinas, TN, and some other places rising now won't put up the big numbers the NE put up, or that TX/FL/SOCAL are/will. If TX/FL/SOCAL follow the NE data, deaths will rise for a week or two, then fall off over 4-6 weeks. I'd think we'd be looking at much better numbers all around in those areas by mid September. 

40 minutes ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

I dislike your political takes, but I will still buy you a beer sir.  We have a common mortal enemy (TB12), and I will set politics aside to slay that dragon.

Building on this great post as an aside, the spirit of unity in hating TB12 is something lost in all the CV-19 discussion. Red states hating blue states, blue states hating red states. Florida sucks. NY sucks. If only we were as eager to celebrate the things that unite us (hating Brady) as we were to rip into each other. It's really the pox of the faceless Internet, and the triple-plague of a board like this. 

I see lots of Americans dying, suffering. It's heartbreaking to see anyone in pain, whether it's the 92 year old in the nursing home who can't see her loved ones in her last years, the waiter out of work, the kid who can't go to school, Chuck Woolery's son, my daughter whose upcoming freshman year of college is going to be whatever it is--but not what anyone expected--I am rooting for 330 million AMERICANS. I wish we stood more united in this feeling and not just sitting here on keyboards and on Twitter (the worst) tearing each other apart. 

Even as I submit, I feel like this is food for trolls. Raise a beer to all of you! Though on Fridays, I go with a Manhattan when I can. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Building on this great post as an aside, the spirit of unity in hating TB12 is something lost in all the CV-19 discussion. Red states hating blue states, blue states hating red states. Florida sucks. NY sucks. If only we were as eager to celebrate the things that unite us (hating Brady) as we were to rip into each other. It's really the pox of the faceless Internet, and the triple-plague of a board like this. 

I see lots of Americans dying, suffering. It's heartbreaking to see anyone in pain, whether it's the 92 year old in the nursing home who can't see her loved ones in her last years, the waiter out of work, the kid who can't go to school, Chuck Woolery's son, my daughter whose upcoming freshman year of college is going to be whatever it is--but not what anyone expected--I am rooting for 330 million AMERICANS. I wish we stood more united in this feeling and not just sitting here on keyboards and on Twitter (the worst) tearing each other apart. 

Even as I submit, I feel like this is food for trolls. Raise a beer to all of you! Though on Fridays, I go with a Manhattan when I can. 

I've said it a few times before, but if we reacted to this like we did to Yamamoto's attack, we'd be in a way better position right now.  The virus would still be doing it's thing, but at least we'd all be on the same page.  The media would be highlighting the positive stories, the gov't officials would all basically have the same messaging, and the majority of the populace would buy in and do their part.  It's time to do that again, America.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Do you know who he's with? I don't. 

I saw Trump playing catch (kind of--imagine seeing Trump and Fauci playing catch--one can't throw, the other can't catch) on the South Lawn with a lot of maskless kids and adults. Let's just all do out best, and understand that we all will be imperfect. I saw a guy picking up some takeout food at a restaurant last week with his T-shirt puled up over his face. Probably not that effective but I had a laugh with him. After my daughter's high school graduation, in a parking lot inside cars, I saw a family friend of ours that we haven't seen in person for the last 3 months. I gave her a big hug. Pretty sure we can survive those moments as long as we're mostly on the right trajectory with behaviors. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Magox said:

Alex has been doing great work that the mainstream media sycophants have either been unwilling or incapable of doing.    His larger point is an astute one which is that Temporary lock downs only delay the inevitable.  Unless you maintain very strict social distancing measures, severe limits on immigration or don’t have some sort of medical biological explanation, the odds that the virus re emerging is somewhat high.  

Basically he's saying viruses are gonna virus.  Which sucks without a vaccine or natural immunity.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 123719bwiqrb said:

The old high school math class dilemma.  You get no credit unless you show your work, Johnny.

His work is to, as he says, do all he can to get Trump elected. That includes spewing #FakeNews, of course.

8 minutes ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

1 minute ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

His work is to, as he says, do all he can to get Trump elected. That includes spewing #FakeNews, of course.

I agree with you that we need to see where he’s getting that info, but if you want to claim partisanship invalidates a source, there are no sources. Especially not MSM. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Do you know who he's with? I don't. 

I saw Trump playing catch (kind of--imagine seeing Trump and Fauci playing catch--one can't throw, the other can't catch) on the South Lawn with a lot of maskless kids and adults. Let's just all do out best, and understand that we all will be imperfect. I saw a guy picking up some takeout food at a restaurant last week with his T-shirt puled up over his face. Probably not that effective but I had a laugh with him. After my daughter's high school graduation, in a parking lot inside cars, I saw a family friend of ours that we haven't seen in person for the last 3 months. I gave her a big hug. Pretty sure we can survive those moments as long as we're mostly on the right trajectory with behaviors. 

i sure as hell ain't wearing a mask if i am with 3 people who i live with or am with all the time etc...i think Fauci been wrong plenty , as has EVERYONE...let it go Fauci bashers. There is zero wrong with this picture

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

i sure as hell ain't wearing a mask if i am with 3 people who i live with or am with all the time etc...i think Fauci been wrong plenty , as has EVERYONE...let it go Fauci bashers. There is zero wrong with this picture

Or maybe these are people on his quaran-team. OR maybe he is with strangers and should be masked. All I know is:

I WANT TO JUDGE SOMEBODY DAMN IT ! ! ! !

Florida reports 12,444 new infections and 133 more dead Americans.

Our friend Governor DeathSantis is getting away with MURDER by not only not ordering a lock down but also not even enforcing mandating face masks.

GOP = death cult