The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

5 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Yes, it is. They are saying they have the capacity to run more tests, but Quest does not administer the tests. You keep making this same mistake. 

I get that you are trying to desperately make a point about testing, but this isn't what they are saying.   You are jamming in your narrative into what they actually said.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

Funny, when this was first reported, it was poo-pooed as a lie. However, the tweets I saw earlier are now deleted.  ? Deleted due to damage control? Or because it was not true?

Considering this is also the first way they framed it (through the lens of RACISM!): 

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're doing damage control. Though, there's probably going to be TONS of "fake" images of supposed hacked emails pushed by real bad actors... they'll hope to drown out the signal with noise. And then, it won't be long before Cuomo goes on CNN to tell viewers it's illegal to read them for yourself. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Oh boy... this could get ugly. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Funny, when this was first reported, it was poo-pooed as a lie. However, the tweets I saw earlier are now deleted.  ? Deleted due to damage control? Or because it was not true?

they are scrubbing the net.

apparently the World Bank got hacked too

https://twitter.com/Perpetualmaniac/status/1252601963562270720

i'm thinkin' there might be a need for a thread on this...

• Thank you (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

they are scrubbing the net.

apparently the World Bank got hacked too

https://twitter.com/Perpetualmaniac/status/1252601963562270720

i'm thinkin' there might be a need for a thread on this...

And there are conflicting reports (even from otherwise solid folks) that it's a honey trap too. So I really don't know what to make of it other than the timing is real interesting. I'm not a proficient enough technical actor to get into the weeds on vetting hacked data personally, so I'm waiting a bit to see how it shakes out over the next 72 hours.

• Thank you (+1) 3

Here is a WallStreet Journal article from 2 days ago about the testing challenges.

The Journal goes on to cite a few different examples of different entities in describing their issues, and Quest Diagnostics was one of them.

A regional microbiology lab that serves a network of seven St. Louis-area hospitals has the capacity to run about 1,000 tests a day, said Scott Isbell, a professor at Saint Louis University and lab director at the university-affiliated hospital that belongs to the network. But a shortage of swabs used to collect test specimens means the lab still has to ration tests.

“I have 300 swabs in my lab right now, and that’s got to last me until I get my next supply, and I don’t even know when that will be,” Dr. Isbell, a clinical chemist, said in a recent interview. “We aren’t really able to test the spouse of a nurse who worries they might have been exposed.”

An invoice viewed by the Journal shows another laboratory ordered about $13,000 worth of swabs on March 13. As of April 15, the supplier, Medline Industries Inc., estimated it could fill the order on May 18.

This particular labs issues were swabs.  So even though they have more potential capacity, the lack of swabs was what was slowing them down.  So in this case, demand is outstripping their capacity to provide tests.

Here is another Healthcare system's issues.

When swabs aren’t the bottleneck, other supply-chain problems can throttle testing. Intermountain Healthcare in Salt Lake City could theoretically do about 3,000 tests a day. “We’ve never approached that because of other shortages,” said Sterling Bennett, a lab director there, adding that in practice the lab can typically do somewhere between 10% and 30% of that volume.

Basically, they have the capacity to do a lot more but they are lacking supplies.

AND HERE IS QUEST DIAGNOSTICS ISSUES

Some U.S. labs continued to face significant backlogs. An internal Quest Diagnostics Inc. report this month viewed by The Wall Street Journal showed all of the company’s laboratories had backlogs of at least three days to perform tests, and in some cases as many as five days.

Quest spokeswoman Wendy Bost said Thursday the company is now able to turn around tests sooner, in as little as one day for priority patients and two days for most others. She said the company can do 45,000 tests a day. Quest had earlier attributed the backlog to huge initial demand.

Surprise surprise, their problem?

Too much Demand!  Not lack of supplies, not any of the other things that were mentioned.  But too much demand.    A few weeks ago and up until recently what was slowing Quest Diagnostics down was that they had a backlog and that tests were taking anywhere from 3-5 days for the results.  Now they are being done in a day or two.

This article was from 2 days ago, the one I posted above is from today and now says there is no backlog, and that they just need more people requesting tests.   The states just need to coordinate with the labs/hospitals/testing locations with people who need testing a little better so that Quest Diagnostics is identified as a location for these people to get testing.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Regardless of this... no idea what to make of it - and to what end... finally the two hospitals I work at in lower Westchester are slowing down on intakes.  New Rochelle ER is much less overnite though the floors still have a lot of Covid the ICU is getting better.  In Yonkers still have a lot of patients but the amount coming into the ER at one time is doable.  2 weeks ago at 4pm we had 135 pts in ER, outside tent, fast track... this monday only 39 and the only code was a standard heart attack... not covid... Lots of deaths though on the floors...  our morgue and freezer trailer are full... had to get another... but pts who have been there since height are finally going home.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Magox said:

This article was from 2 days ago, the one I posted above is from today and now says there is no backlog, and that they just need more people requesting tests.   The states just need to coordinate with the labs/hospitals/testing locations with people who need testing a little better so that Quest Diagnostics is identified as a location for these people to get testing.

This was basically the entire presser yesterday, as well as what was discussed on yesterday's Governor's call. There is a lot of capacity. It just needs to be utilized.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Regardless of this... no idea what to make of it - and to what end... finally the two hospitals I work at in lower Westchester are slowing down on intakes.  New Rochelle ER is much less overnite though the floors still have a lot of Covid the ICU is getting better.  In Yonkers still have a lot of patients but the amount coming into the ER at one time is doable.  2 weeks ago at 4pm we had 135 pts in ER, outside tent, fast track... this monday only 39 and the only code was a standard heart attack... not covid... Lots of deaths though on the floors...  our morgue and freezer trailer are full... had to get another... but pts who have been there since height are finally going home.

Definitely good news for NYC area this week.

The city was still quiet today.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Who coined the term "Fake News"? Hint: it wasn't 45. 

(It was the WaPo -- in relation to what story?)

Dont really care Rump uses the term anytime he doesnt like or have an answer to a question... whatever.

Edited by North Buffalo

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

This was basically the entire presser yesterday, as well as what was discussed on yesterday's Governor's call. There is a lot of capacity. It just needs to be utilized.

There is no doubt that there are labs out there that need more supplies to get more testing done.   With that said, the federal testing administered locations seem to be ready to do more immediate testing and from the sounds of it, they weren't being utilized.   But to the article I posted, Quest Diagnostics' issues have nothing to do with lack of supplies or any of that other jazz, their previous issues was that they had too much demand which created backlogs slowing down the time that people could get tests done and receive their results, essentially they lacked capacity early on. 

Now, they have increased their capacity and are continuing to increase it and their problem now is that there aren't enough people who need testing being directed their way.  This is something that the states governors will need to coordinate with medical providers, hospitals etc. to get more people using Quest Diagnostics.

• Thank you (+1) 2