The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

9 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The fact that you discussed the size of my unit is disturbing.

What's disturbing are your comments about children

On 4/6/2020 at 11:04 PM, 3rdnlng said:

Golf clap or at least some kind of clap. I don't know Doc, I've only been with a Disney child star. 

Creep

Edited by Warren Zevon

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You usually count to ten? Why can't you do so the other times? 

Sometimes I count more.  Sometimes I count less.  But ten is a beautiful number. 

3 minutes ago, Warren Zevon said:

What's disturbing is your comments about children

Creep

He should have counted to ten before he made that statement.  It is disturbing.  Hopefully he meant a former Disney child star.  

11 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

My concern is that certain countries like Iran, China and North Korea are not  giving out true information.

A fake newser worried about fake data.  We have come full circle.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Turk71 said:

The US and South Korea reported their first confirmed case on the same day. (Jan 20th) South Korea got the testing kits from WHO, the US said no thanx we will make our own tests. A week later South Korea began a rigorous testing program and contact tracing of positive results. The US bungled the testing program while the virus spread. The reason the US can't use the South Korea template is not because it wasn't caught here early enough as you say, it is because testing and contact tracing did not begin early enough. 

So you think the first real case in the USA was January 20th ? Look at the number of cases and degree of infection on both coasts and in the southeast. I’d be inclined to think the virus actually was here before that, but that’s beside the point. The USA is not South Korea. While the testing / tracing did not begin early enough here, why did the Governor of whichever State that was in not take drastic action ? Our country is set up quite differently from South Korea. The issue of rejecting the test kits is certainly valid, and should be questioned. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

So you think the first real case in the USA was January 20th ? Look at the number of cases and degree of infection on both coasts and in the southeast. I’d be inclined to think the virus actually was here before that, but that’s beside the point. The USA is not South Korea. While the testing / tracing did not begin early enough here, why did the Governor of whichever State that was in not take drastic action ? Our country is set up quite differently from South Korea. The issue of rejecting the test kits is certainly valid, and should be questioned. 

I appreciate the balance and objectivity in what you said.  Well done. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

While the testing / tracing did not begin early enough here, why did the Governor of whichever State that was in not take drastic action ? 

And if Obama were in office you would say the exact opposite. Go drink another...

Edited by BillStime

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

WHO never offered the test kits to the U.S.

1 minute ago, BillStime said:

And if Obama were in office you would say the exact opposite. Go drink another...

Based on how he handled the swine flu?

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Agreed.  I think about it in terms of lung capacity.  But isn’t there data re: higher incidents of stroke in younger people, too?  That’s sort of the problem with reopening.  There is so much unknown, and it’s almost impossible to properly evaluate and balance all of the risks.   I wish there were good answers to all of these competing and valid considerations  . . . 

Lot of unknowns, like this one, like whether generating antibodies eliminates reinfection, and so on.  I feel for the governors of the states right now.  The balancing act between protecting health and getting economies going again is very difficult.  The governor here in Indiana is taking what I think is a good approach, watching the data and starting  slowly to bring things back on line.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Lot of unknowns, like this one, like whether generating antibodies eliminates reinfection, and so on.  I feel for the governors of the states right now.  The balancing act between protecting health and getting economies going again is very difficult.  The governor here in Indiana is taking what I think is a good approach, watching the data and starting  slowly to bring things back on line.  

There’s no switch to flip, that much is true.  There are also so many other considerations, e.g., when child care comes back online, when and how mass transit resumes normal operation, how elevators are handled in office buildings.  The degree of complications and variables boggles the mind. 

Edited by SectionC3

Horrible 

The head of the emergency department at a Manhattan hospital committed suicide after spending days on the front lines of the coronavirus battle, her family said Monday.

“She tried to do her job, and it killed her,’’ Dr. Philip Breen told the New York Times of his physician daughter, Dr. Lorna Breen, who had been medical director of the NewYork-Presbyterian Allen Hospital amid the pandemic.

The battle-weary ER doctor, 49, was only the latest city health care worker to take her own life.

Two days earlier, a Bronx EMT witnessing the virus’ ruthless toll fatally shot himself with a gun belonging to his retired NYPD cop dad.

Tragic rookie paramedic John Mondello, 23, worked out of EMS Station 18 in The Bronx, which handles one of the biggest 911 call volumes in the city.

Lorna died Sunday in Charlottesville, Virginia, where she’d been staying with her family, her father told the Times.

Philip Breen said his daughter had gotten sick with the virus while on the job at one point, but then returned to work after about a week and a half of recuperating. Still, the hospital sent her home again, and her family brought her to Virginia.

She had no history of mental illness, he said. But when they last spoke, she told him how excruciating it was to have to continually watch contagion patients die, including some even before they could be taken from the ambulance.

“She was truly in the trenches on the front line,’’ Philip Breen told the Times.

“Make sure she’s praised as a hero,’’ he added. “She’s a casualty just as much as anyone else who has died.’’

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/manhattan-er-doc-lorna-breen-commits-suicide-shaken-by-coronavirus/