The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

12 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Interesting. Do you suppose they're calling all confirmed cases those that have been tested? ...

all confirmed cases, tested, yes. all tested, confirmed, no. 

Edited by Foxx

48 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Is it really too much to ask these media idiots to not refer to an official tournament by its silly nickname (in all caps....as if that was the name of the tournament)?

3 hours ago, GG said:

Figures the pandemic would get you out of the fox hole.  What's up at CDC?

There's no way he could stay away from this much hysteria and idiocy!

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Three months I've been tracking this.  Since two weeks before this thread started.  Still haven't found a single number, reliable or otherwise, for the morbidity rate of nCOVID-19.  It's ridiculous.  The mortality rate varies only by how much testing a country does - more testing, less deaths.  That's a clear indication that no one has any ***** idea what's going on.

I hit Costo two weeks ago for non-perishables, figuring everyone was about to go nuts over this.  And a couple weeks ago, someone asked me if they should take their planned trip to Costa Rica last week.  I said "Sure, you'll be fine.  It'll be the week of the 13th that the ***** hits the fan."  I mention that only because my predictions have nailed all of this so far.  So I'll make this prediction: this will all start to unwind and get back to normal probably just after Easter.

Mostly, this is not nearly as big a crisis as people are acting.  It's a big problem for the elderly, infirm, and immunocompromised, which is no small thing - I'm self-quarantined since yesterday, because my sister-in-law who lives with us has COPD, and if I bring the Kung Flu home, I probably get a bad cold, but it will kill her.  But other than that, and supply chain disruption (i.e. groceries, gasoline)...in a year, we're likely to look back on this and snicker at the overreaction.

I will mark down your prediction but a flu that you don't that you have and are communicable for many days is very concerning as it could have a huge infection rate far greater than a normal flu and even if it is only 50% more deadly (and I have seen rates ranging for morbidity rates from 1-3% compared to .1% for the regular flu) than a normal flu could still easily result in millions of deaths and a huge taxing burden on healthcare systems. 

6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

When all this is over, should China pay a price?

...um okay....they're blaming us for a worldwide smear campaign......wasn't Wuhan the epicenter and they tried to hide it??.........MADE IN CHINA has a new meaning...

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Because the Trump administration is really nailing this.

They're doing fine. 

What you're seeing is the faults of the state itself -- the very institution the left wishes to give more power and control to. This should serve as an excellent example of why that's a terrible idea.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

They're doing fine. 

What you're seeing is the faults of the state itself -- the very institution the left wishes to give more power and control to. This should serve as an excellent example of why that's a terrible idea.

...politicizing it is their ONLY focus........look at the unrelated pork in the House coronavirus package........typical crap, which BOTH sides are perennially guilty of...........

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Because the Trump administration is really nailing this.

They nailed it when they shut down travel from China at the end of January.  Unfortunately they didn't shut down all travel and many cases came in from unexpected sources.

Just now, njbuff said:

Did the Trump administration create this virus? I guess I missed that.

No but they created a response to the virus that was dismissive and slow to act that could have potentially caused more damage than there needed to be. If you think the response of denial denial denial was great then you are just working backwards from your conclusion that Trump is great and everything negative is always someone elses fault or their was nothing he could do. 

58 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Interesting. Do you suppose they're calling all confirmed cases those that have been tested?

Also, nearly 65% of deaths have occurred in one area of china (presumably where Wuhan/Ground 0 is) is that simply due to the timeline? It seems disproportionate and with China there's always that question of available resources/what the government might be doing (not to mention the overall lack of trust in the statistics reported by the government)  

Also, for those in the know: The majority of cases seem to be well north of the equator... Is that due to countries in South America and Africa not having as much exposure to foreigners, or is there more to that?

I understand a lot of this stuff is unknown, just wondering what others have seen discussed!

Regarding China, with the amount of air pollution and the sheer volume of people who still smoke, overall, their lungs are not exactly in tip-top shape. This virus hits the lungs hard, so they are already facing an uphill battle from the start.

And regarding your observation about cases north of the equator being far greater, the seasons south of the equator are also opposite of ours, so the warmer weather is probably playing at least a part.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

They nailed it when they shut down travel from China at the end of January.  Unfortunately they didn't shut down all travel and many cases came in from unexpected sources.

I think Trump crafting a narrative that this was fine and nothing to worry about (in an attempt to cover the stock market) is what created a lot of the bad response. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

No but they created a response to the virus that was dismissive and slow to act that could have potentially caused more damage than there needed to be. If you think the response of denial denial denial was great then you are just working backwards from your conclusion that Trump is great and everything negative is always someone elses fault or their was nothing he could do. 

Wrong.

They took decisive action in January -- and were mocked for doing so by the same people now freaking out. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Three months I've been tracking this.  Since two weeks before this thread started.  Still haven't found a single number, reliable or otherwise, for the morbidity rate of nCOVID-19.  It's ridiculous.  The mortality rate varies only by how much testing a country does - more testing, less deaths.  That's a clear indication that no one has any ***** idea what's going on.

I hit Costo two weeks ago for non-perishables, figuring everyone was about to go nuts over this.  And a couple weeks ago, someone asked me if they should take their planned trip to Costa Rica last week.  I said "Sure, you'll be fine.  It'll be the week of the 13th that the ***** hits the fan."  I mention that only because my predictions have nailed all of this so far.  So I'll make this prediction: this will all start to unwind and get back to normal probably just after Easter.

Mostly, this is not nearly as big a crisis as people are acting.  It's a big problem for the elderly, infirm, and immunocompromised, which is no small thing - I'm self-quarantined since yesterday, because my sister-in-law who lives with us has COPD, and if I bring the Kung Flu home, I probably get a bad cold, but it will kill her.  But other than that, and supply chain disruption (i.e. groceries, gasoline)...in a year, we're likely to look back on this and snicker at the overreaction.

Yup;  keeping a close watch on the TP inventory.

Our company has been work from home all week and will be at least another 3.  That's bad enough, but it's really gonna suck when they close the schools sometime in the next two weeks.   

:death:

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Wrong.

They took decisive action in January -- and were mocked for doing so by the same people now freaking out. 

The man was telling everyone this was nothing to worry about for many weeks, he has one third of this country in his cult of personality and they thought the virus was just a media smear of him. He was literally tweeting out this was not big deal not that long ago. Once again you can't gaslight a health crisis. He ***** this up.