The Greatest Generation? Overrated?

bbb

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Air Force was the immediate choice, but they winnowed out people quickly for any possible flaw.

Too young to have been drafted for Vietnam but I remember the discussion going around that if you wanted to get ahead of the draft a person should enlist in the (US) Air Force or Navy.  Better chance of being in a rear area or out of the theater altogether.   Waiting for the draft just about always meant being assigned to a ground force and being in combat.  I don't remember too many being turned down for the Air Force or Navy and being Cold War era you could have gone to West Germany or Norfolk.

10 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Too young to have been drafted for Vietnam but I remember the discussion going around that if you wanted to get ahead of the draft a person should enlist in the (US) Air Force or Navy.  Better chance of being in a rear area or out of the theater altogether.   Waiting for the draft just about always meant being assigned to a ground force and being in combat.  I don't remember too many being turned down for the Air Force or Navy and being Cold War era you could have gone to West Germany or Norfolk.

Ok Boomer, but we're talking about the Greatest Generation.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

The best film directors and trumpet players are heavy smokers.

Most people are just not willing to come to Terms with this.

960x540.jpg

My father went through 3 packs of Camel a day and insisted it wasn't an issue because Camel was pure and clean tobacco, and didn't pose a health risk.

He lived to be 92, much to everyone's chagrin.

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

My father went through 3 packs of Camel a day and insisted it wasn't an issue because Camel was pure and clean tobacco, and didn't pose a health risk.

Like my grandmother, who lived to 98 on a diet of jelly beans and Bailey's Irish Cream.

When she was 95, she went to the doctor for a check-up, and asked him if she should be worried about her cholesterol.  He laughed at her, and told her she could start smoking for all it mattered at her age.

11 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Ok Boomer, but we're talking about the Greatest Generation.  

This reminds me of the time OCinWherever "Ok Boomer"ed me before "Ok boomer" was a thing.  A man truly ahead of his time.

3 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Dude I get making the jump from CA but why Idaho?

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

What is it about Idaho that makes you think it wouldn't be a good idea?

Serious question.

Oh nothing.  I was wondering why.  I imagine climate is completely different depending on what part of the state you're in.

7 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

What is it about Idaho that makes you think it wouldn't be a good idea?

Serious question.

It's fun to make fun of Idaho but it's a great state (I lived near Sandpoint for 3 years)

You need to check out if you haven't Shoshone Falls and Thousand Springs.

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

The best film directors and trumpet players are heavy smokers.

Most people are just not willing to come to Terms with this.

960x540.jpg

George Burns and character actor Charles Lane smoked very heavily and lived into extreme old age.  You never know but I know it worked just the opposite for my maternal grandfather.  

15 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Oh nothing.  I was wondering why.  I imagine climate is completely different depending on what part of the state you're in.

We're north Idaho, about 30 minutes east of Spokane, just outside Lake Coeur d'Alene. I can run my company from anywhere, so we sold virtually everything in CA and bought five acres overlooking the city. We have my son in one of the top 10 charter schools in the country. Business regulations are very lax here, taxes are very low, people are ridiculously friendly and neighborly, we're three minutes from a boat launch at Spokane River into the lake, and we're genuinely living our best life right now.

That said, I grew up in the Catskills just below Windham Mt. Ski Slope. I spent most of my life believing I needed to be as far away from mountains and snow as possible, and it turns our I was desperately wrong for most of my life. We're much happier around the mountains and lakes and hills and snowmobiling and boating and skiing.

10 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

It's fun to make fun of Idaho but it's a great state (I lived near Sandpoint for 3 years)

You need to check out if you haven't Shoshone Falls and Thousand Springs.

Both of those are on our radar. Sandpoint is just north of us (we're in Post Falls). The whole area is beautiful.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

We're north Idaho, about 30 minutes east of Spokane, just outside Lake Coeur d'Alene. I can run my company from anywhere, so we sold virtually everything in CA and bought five acres overlooking the city. We have my son in one of the top 10 charter schools in the country. Business regulations are very lax here, taxes are very low, people are ridiculously friendly and neighborly, we're three minutes from a boat launch at Spokane River into the lake, and we're genuinely living our best life right now.

That said, I grew up in the Catskills just below Windham Mt. Ski Slope. I spent most of my life believing I needed to be as far away from mountains and snow as possible, and it turns our I was desperately wrong for most of my life. We're much happier around the mountains and lakes and hills and snowmobiling and boating and skiing.

That sounds nice.  Another one to add to the list of "places I'd rather live than where I do now."

But hey, Albany's getting a Costco.  Small victories.

23 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

That sounds nice.  Another one to add to the list of "places I'd rather live than where I do now."

When I was growing up, going to Albany was a really big deal in that it meant we were going to Colonie Center. This meant Orange Julius and dinner at some steakhouse attached to the mall which, in my foggy imagination is a Texas chop house but in reality was probably a step up from Beefsteak Charlies.

2 minutes ago, NOVA fan said:

I don't know if they're overrated, but it's very instructive to imagine their grandkids trying to make it through a real depression and fight in a real world war. 

mills are their great-grandkids

Xs are their grandkids

6 hours ago, NOVA fan said:

I don't know if they're overrated, but it's very instructive to imagine their grandkids trying to make it through a real depression and fight in a real world war. 

What?!?  I'm on twitter - and I went though both a dpression and World War - in 6 months!  My parents took 15 year to do that bull####. 

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

A couple years ago I asked my mother who is 94 and still chugging away was she at all worried that the Nazis were going to roll in at anytime and take over. She said no. Her biggest worry was polio. 

Contrast that with a bunch of tweets I saw the other night while WWIII was raging that went like this:

FCVN44cq_bigger.jpg

Replying to
I literally live in Manhattan

hGLK1NLU_bigger.jpg

Brooklyn here

jtoKKsyH_bigger.jpg

Queens here lmao

yNz_j0bV_bigger.jpg

How about Philly

?
pray for me

?

1 minute ago, John Adams said:

Kick the Greatest Gen all you want, but no generation could be more annoying than the Boomers (sorry Chef Jim). All they do is talk about themselves as a generation and how great they are... Ugh. STFU already. 

It'll all come crashing down when they sell their houses and cash in their retirement savings!!!

1 minute ago, John Adams said:

Kick the Greatest Gen all you want, but no generation could be more annoying than the Boomers (sorry Chef Jim). All they do is talk about themselves as a generation and how great they are... Ugh. STFU already. 

I dunno, Millenials are pretty annoying.  And whiney.

That's why I'm glad to be an X'er.  We got a reputation for being apathetic, but it's more like we're live and let live.  Boomers, please leave us alone.  Millenials, please stop whining.  And we'll all be good

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, John Adams said:

We annoy you?  SUCCESS!  

And give me an example of how we talk about how good we are. 

On 1/10/2020 at 1:27 PM, LeviF91 said:

That won't last. Costco asks for ID when you walk through the doors. Surely Cuomo and AOC will declare that raysis and force them to leave the state. 

46 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

We annoy you?  SUCCESS!  

And give me an example of how we talk about how good we are. 

Obama... and I'm a boomer but he embarrassed our generation who are normally even keeled.... 

10 minutes ago, Cinga said:

Obama... and I'm a boomer but he embarrassed our generation who are normally even keeled.... 

Seriously?  You’re using that narcissistic bastard as proof “we” constantly talked about how good we are?  And what he was saying is HE was the greatest generation!  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Seriously?  You’re using that narcissistic bastard as proof “we” constantly talked about how good we are?  And what he was saying is HE was the greatest generation!  

As I said, I'm a boomer... But seriously I could have named a million hippies or the Clintons and Trump... We certainly have our stains.

22 minutes ago, Cinga said:

As I said, I'm a boomer... But seriously I could have named a million hippies or the Clintons and Trump... We certainly have our stains.

Every generation does. I’m just tired of the likes of JA saying once we are gone there will be no more racism, homophobia etc.  You (I’m assuming you are) and I have the four strikes of death and are the causes of all the world’s problems. White, male, American, boomers. 

27 minutes ago, Cinga said:

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Every generation does. I’m just tired of the likes of JA saying once we are gone there will be no more racism, homophobia etc.  You (I’m assuming you are) and I have the four strikes of death and are the causes of all the world’s problems. White, male, American, boomers. 

Okay Boomers

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Oh my god go away Boomers. 

Sorry Jim: I have no evidence of Boomers ever telling me how great their generation is. 

Edited by John Adams