The Greatest Generation? Overrated?

bbb

I used to believe the hype about my parents generation...............But, I've been on twitter as we went through a Great Depression due to the 10 year Treasury note going below the 2 year rate................Now I've survived WWIII, which obviously would have to be bloodier than WWII, just as WWII was bloodier than WWI ........I'm thinking we're the Greater Generation.  

• Haha (+1) 2

Not to mention in 1 or 5 years we can claim having survived Fascist #orangemanbad.  In 11 and a half years we can claim we stopped the planet from self destructing

Let's just call ourselves the Bestest Generation

Edited by /dev/null
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, bbb said:

I used to believe the hype about my parents generation...............But, I've been on twitter as we went through a Great Depression due to the 10 year Treasury note going below the 2 year rate................Now I've survived WWIII, which obviously would have to be bloodier than WWII, just as WWII was bloodier than WWI ........I'm thinking we're the Greater Generation.  

What about porch pirates? Did they ever have the concern about having the the cappuccino maker they ordered at 4:30 pm one day being stolen from their porch by 11am the next?  Don’t even get me started on the lines at Disney.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

What about porch pirates? Did they ever have the concern about having the the cappuccino maker they ordered at 4:30 pm one day being stolen from their porch by 11am the next?  Don’t even get me started on the lines at Disney.

Who did lines at Disney? 

Mitch McConnell, with a new found purpose and tons of energy has almost single handedly restructured the federal judiciary. Seems like with every bump we get a half dozen more conservative judges. Meanwhile,  Nancy Pelosi, with slurred words is struggling mightily to stumble her way over to the Senate to deliver a loser, so called articles of impeachment forced upon her by the foreign minister of Qatar and a bartender from Brooklyn. Good times.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, bbb said:

Can we get some trophies please?

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Gary M said:

Can we get some trophies please?

both sets of grandparents from the greatest generation put on lavish dinners for 8-20 of us a dozen times a year from their love of family and unity

the boomer children can't even bother to agree to show up for a restaurant lunch or dinner

right down the tubes

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

both sets of grandparents from the greatest generation put on lavish dinners for 8-20 of us a dozen times a year from their love of family and unity

the boomer children can't even bother to agree to show up for a restaurant lunch or dinner

right down the tubes

Oh, quit complaining. If you're not happy with your tips move down here where the people actually use paper money to tip with. 

Yes, they are overrated.  The "Greatest Generation" is mostly a fairy tale created by Tom Brokaw, Stephen Ambrose, and Tom Hanks.

In truth, they weren't appreciably better or worse than generations past or since, except millennials (who are pussies.)

• Haha (+1) 1

Today's younger generation is far less religious, racist and ignorant than past generations. They smoke and drink less, they eat better and exercise more. They are far more likely to report sexual assaults, abuse, bullying and wrong doing (looking at you Jim Jordan). 

59 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Oh, quit complaining. If you're not happy with your tips move down here where the people actually use paper money to tip with. 

I do that as well.... I figured then it allows them to decide if they want to claim it on their taxes or not. If it goes through your credit card, they absolutely have to....

It may be wrong, but I figure hell, I already paid taxes on that money so why should I make someone else do that too

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

the boomers were going to revolutionize the world and make it perfectly caring and hassle free and loving.... so they said 10,000,000 times and got full media coverage for every stupid and destructive stunt they pulled

29 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yes, they are overrated.  The "Greatest Generation" is mostly a fairy tale created by Tom Brokaw, Stephen Ambrose, and Tom Hanks.

In truth, they weren't appreciably better or worse than generations past or since, except millennials (who are pussies.)

In reality I think that the Greatest Generation had that moniker placed upon them by circumstances. We were attacked in WW2 much like we were attacked on 9/11. There was a great outcry and surge of patriotism in both of those instances. In WW2 about 60% of the servicemen were drafted and 40% were volunteers. It's a misnomer though in that starting in 1942 volunteers between the ages of 18 and 37 were prohibited. To get into the service one had to be drafted. Supposedly this was done to limit recruits and the subsequent training to an amount that could be handled efficiently. From my personal observation there seemed to be a great deal of patriotism and many people volunteering for service after 9/11. It would appear to me that the fact that we were attacked in dastardly ways brought out the mantle of heroism and the subsequent praise for the Greatest generation and the people that volunteered to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Cinga said:

I do that as well.... I figured then it allows them to decide if they want to claim it on their taxes or not. If it goes through your credit card, they absolutely have to....

It may be wrong, but I figure hell, I already paid taxes on that money so why should I make someone else do that too

Uh, I was referring to the cheap French Canadian habit of tipping so little that it's done in coins rather than paper money. 

8 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

There were far fewer fatties before The Smoking Ban.  Something to consider.

Well, a lot of things have changed, fast food, microwave ovens and increased availability of cheap unhealthy food. 

And, as a side note, I just think that Tom Brokaw is a little weasel. "Greatest Generation" is just a marketing strategy 

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

image.png.a50f3704ee60d49018c45c0d8d6a1141.png

Babies from before the smoking ban were a Million Times Tougher

and

had a Million Times more Testosterone

than the Millenial "guys" of Today.

This is Settled Science.

IMA140068.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

sitting in the back of an unsafe at any speed car with 3 people chain smoking and the windows rolled up was a Darwinian test of survival.

at least now we know...

i kid.. i kid...

Edited by Foxx

23 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Babies from before the smoking ban were a Million Times Tougher

and

had a Million Times more Testosterone

than the Millenial "guys" of Today.

This is Settled Science.

IMA140068.jpg

We were much more sophisticated:

image.jpeg.ed27a50f93c0b4c43cf75b83c3550ed2.jpeg

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

In reality I think that the Greatest Generation had that moniker placed upon them by circumstances. We were attacked in WW2 much like we were attacked on 9/11. There was a great outcry and surge of patriotism in both of those instances. In WW2 about 60% of the servicemen were drafted and 40% were volunteers. It's a misnomer though in that starting in 1942 volunteers between the ages of 18 and 37 were prohibited. To get into the service one had to be drafted. Supposedly this was done to limit recruits and the subsequent training to an amount that could be handled efficiently. 

It was more because volunteers could specify what service, and what specialty, they could go in to, which by 1943 was creating an unmanageable imbalance in manpower allocation.  Not everyone could join the Marines.  Drafting allowed a more efficient allocation of personnel.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

It was more because volunteers could specify what service, and what specialty, they could go in to, which by 1943 was creating an unmanageable imbalance in manpower allocation.  Not everyone could join the Marines.  Drafting allowed a more efficient allocation of personnel.

Air Force was the immediate choice, but they winnowed out people quickly for any possible flaw.