Some All 22 observations on the Texans game that I’ve yet to see elsewhere

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

. It’s going to take more time but the kid makes throws that only 2 or 3 other guys in the league can make. Time to pair him with some elite pass catchers, regardless of 40 time, size, height, etc. 

One of the pass catchers should be an experienced TE. Kroft has been pretty useless and we can't bank on Knox whose pass catching skills are a work in progress. 

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree.  Poyer is the one who can be replaced for less.  He makes a few big plays a year.  The rest he is late to arrive.  Burned on both TDs Saturday.  That's what he is.

Josh had some great throws.  But had two bad ones that were miraculously dropped INTs (plus a 3rd he through right at JJ Watt).  One an easy pick 6, the second one (by same DB) would have ended the game in regulation.  Then there was that really bad decision to lateral as he was being tackled after a 20 yard run to the 50 yard line with over a minute to get into FG range.  Really bad choice. 

But this is true of most QB's.  Remember Watson's terrible throw that should have been intercepted at that start of the 3rd quarter?  It likely would have been a pick 6 to.  Of all the possible INT's this was by far the easiest one. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, K-9 said:

Terrible plays by Brown. Just not NFL caliber. Especially on the first pass. Josh has little margin for error as it is so it’s really frustrating when he can’t get just a little help out there. 

The missed toe tap by Brown on the sideline that would have given us a first & goal at the 3 was really bad.  That play is made by most NFL level WR's.  Watching the replay, the throw by Allen was even better then I remembered from the game.  With upgraded skill players on the field I have NO DOUBT that the Bills would have led 21 - 0 at the half. 

And let's not forget the role field position had in limiting the Bills scoring production.  One of my complaints about the Bill's D this year is that it allowed to many teams to get a 1st down or 2 and move the ball to midfield where they then punted us inside the 10.  This game was a perfect example of this:

*  After that 1st TD drive the next 3 Bill's possessions started at their own 10, 8 & 4 yard lines!  That we had two 70 yard drives to kick FG's was actually quite good.  Had Duke & Brown caught those passes we would have had two 90+ yard drives for TD's. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The missed toe tap by Brown on the sideline that would have given us a first & goal at the 3 was really bad.  That play is made by most NFL level WR's.  Watching the replay, the throw by Allen was even better then I remembered from the game.  With upgraded skill players on the field I have NO DOUBT that the Bills would have led 21 - 0 at the half. 

And let's not forget the role field position had in limiting the Bills scoring production.  One of my complaints about the Bill's D this year is that it allowed to many teams to get a 1st down or 2 and move the ball to midfield where they then punted us inside the 10.  This game was a perfect example of this:

*  After that 1st TD drive the next 3 Bill's possessions started at their own 10, 8 & 4 yard lines!  That we had two 70 yard drives to kick FG's was actually quite good.  Had Duke & Brown caught those passes we would have had two 90+ yard drives for TD's. 

Yeah, a good receiver has to make that play. Then again, I just read yet a other idiotic post above that blamed Allen because a “better throw” would have put Brown in the endzone. That kid can’t win for losing and will NEVER satisfy a certain segment of this fan base. 

GREAT point about the importance of field position. When you’re constantly starting drives from your 10 or worse, you are limited as you simply don’t have your entire playbook at your disposal. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yeah, a good receiver has to make that play. Then again, I just read yet a other idiotic post above that blamed Allen because a “better throw” would have put Brown in the endzone. That kid can’t win for losing and will NEVER satisfy a certain segment of this fan base. 

GREAT point about the importance of field position. When you’re constantly starting drives from your 10 or worse, you are limited as you simply don’t have your entire playbook at your disposal. 

This is the crazy stuff that drives me nuts to.  The way some of the Allen critics analyze EVERY throw he makes and claim it could have been better is absurd.  No QB would look good in their eyes if they used that same criteria.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

it wasn’t a toe tapper. First he had no need to leave his feet. He actually left his feet as the ball was caught. Second he was like 2 yards away from the sideline when he caught the ball. It was bad footwork and the pass was on the money. 

I’d have liked to see Brown make better plays.  The first pass was just a little late and while that made it more difficult, it was still a pass that could’ve been caught in bounds.  I have no idea why Brown jumped.  It wasn’t necessary and it pretty well eliminated his chance to stay in bounds.  The throw wasn’t perfect, but it certainly was good enough so that one was on Brown IMO. 

On the second one Josh was way late.  Brown was expecting the ball as he came across and neared the sideline.  He tried to stop and stay in bounds, but couldn’t.  I’ve seen broken plays where WRs come across and catch the ball right before they go OOB and I’ve seen them stop near the sideline to catch the ball.  Either way, if the ball had gotten to Brown on the cross it almost certainly would have been a catch.  I think that one was probably more on Josh. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Oh, FFS! 

16 minutes ago, K-9 said:

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is the crazy stuff that drives me nuts to.  The way some of the Allen critics analyze EVERY throw he makes and claim it could have been better is absurd.  No QB would look good in their eyes if they used that same criteria.

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’d have liked to see Brown make better plays.  The first pass was just a little late and while that made it more difficult, it was still a pass that could’ve been caught in bounds.  I have no idea why Brown jumped.  It wasn’t necessary and it pretty well eliminated his chance to stay in bounds.  The throw wasn’t perfect, but it certainly was good enough so that one was on Brown IMO. 

On the second one Josh was way late.  Brown was expecting the ball as he came across and neared the sideline.  He tried to stop and stay in bounds, but couldn’t.  I’ve seen broken plays where WRs come across and catch the ball right before they go OOB and I’ve seen them stop near the sideline to catch the ball.  Either way, if the ball had gotten to Brown on the cross it almost certainly would have been a catch.  I think that one was probably more on Josh. 

Not saying Brown should not have made the catch. Saying a better throw and it turns a more difficult catch on the sidelines to an easier catch in the end zone. He is behind the defender and the safety is nowhere close. 

As BarleyNY says - these catches can be made. But better QB play eliminates the need to make those plays. 

Why can we not have higher expectations? This is the NFL. This is our top 10, franchise QB. Not expecting perfection but there i no question he can improve and he would be the first to admit. So many fans want to deny and make excuses. I guarantee you both those throws Josh would say he wants them back. 

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

There was a LB spying on Allen and even started to move with him until he was sure he didn't have the ball. There is also a safety shallow covering Knox on that side

I think Morse got kind of manhandled on that play....

awesome! This is the play for sure. It was 57 not 54. Even though the right read is the handoff, I like josh on the run there, although Knox would be useless blocking the safety Which I didn’t recall, so unlikely a big gain.

Morse got moved quite a bit singled up. positive note on him, he lasted the whole season after early season concussion. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Brown had a couple of awful sideline awareness plays

59- these slow mo’s are incredible. Love your work here.  I’ve seen high school WRs be better on the sideline. Serious deficiency for Brown

59 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Not saying Brown should not have made the catch. Saying a better throw and it turns a more difficult catch on the sidelines to an easier catch in the end zone. He is behind the defender and the safety is nowhere close. 

As BarleyNY says - these catches can be made. But better QB play eliminates the need to make those plays. 

Why can we not have higher expectations? This is the NFL. This is our top 10, franchise QB. Not expecting perfection but there i no question he can improve and he would be the first to admit. So many fans want to deny and make excuses. I guarantee you both those throws Josh would say he wants them back. 

that throw was perfect, and I’ve seen plenty of average WRs, a bunch of RBs and even some TEs not only make that catch but manipulate their body and reach the ball past the pylon a mere 2 yds away. 

brown is catching it with his body and not his hands and has no idea what he’s doing with his feet. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

that throw was perfect, and I’ve seen plenty of average WRs, a bunch of RBs and even some TEs not only make that catch but manipulate their body and reach the ball past the pylon a mere 2 yds away. 

brown is catching it with his body and not his hands and has no idea what he’s doing with his feet. 

Again - miss the point. Throw was not perfect. Throw was perfect we have easy catch for td. Brown catch was bad. So we have a less than perfect throw with bad work from wr. 

9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree.  Poyer is the one who can be replaced for less.  He makes a few big plays a year.  The rest he is late to arrive.  Burned on both TDs Saturday.  That's what he is.

Josh had some great throws.  But had two bad ones that were miraculously dropped INTs (plus a 3rd he through right at JJ Watt).  One an easy pick 6, the second one (by same DB) would have ended the game in regulation.  Then there was that really bad decision to lateral as he was being tackled after a 20 yard run to the 50 yard line with over a minute to get into FG range.  Really bad choice. 

The dropped pick was on the Wr and the screen he threw a missle that at worst would be tipped.  That lateral would have been great if Knox expected it.  That could have went for 6.  But otherwise idiotic but did save time on the clock.  

18 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Again - miss the point. Throw was not perfect. Throw was perfect we have easy catch for td. Brown catch was bad. So we have a less than perfect throw with bad work from wr. 

You have no point. Hit him perfectly in stride on the route he was running (corner route from a bunch formation inside the numbers, without breaking stride). If he kept his feet just running instead of that dumb hop it’s first and goal inside the 5. 

you see most any starting wideout make that play regularly with ease, a number of running backs and The third string qb from the saints. 

that wouldn’t have even been a catch in college ball. It’s a fail all on him. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The dropped pick was on the Wr and the screen he threw a missle that at worst would be tipped.  That lateral would have been great if Knox expected it.  That could have went for 6.  But otherwise idiotic but did save time on the clock.  

Go back and look at the lateral.  It was over Knox's head, ready or not.  And even if he caught it, no chance he would have gotten by several of the defenders who had quickly converged to that sideline.  Zero chance he gets by them.  5 defenders there immediately

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

This isn't high school football where WR's get so open running that pattern that they catch that ball a couple of yards in bound and waltz into the end zone.  The throw was exactly where it was supposed to be.  That missed opportunity is 99% on Brown.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

59- these slow mo’s are incredible. Love your work here.  I’ve seen high school WRs be better on the sideline. Serious deficiency for Brown

Brown is a good receiver--those were just two bad plays. I'm not worried about him. Knox and Morse had no-blocks on the Allen run to the right. Williams dropped a TD. Allen fumbled when the tackler breathed on him. To quote McDermott, those plays showed they are not Championship Caliber...yet. 

I mean anyone that thinks this was anything other but a good throw and bad play by Brown needs to watch more football.  Plenty of room here. If I wasn’t on my phone I’d post the replay as well. Brown was complete garbage on this play...

JB.thumb.jpg.44a68aca9885c5c51f0fd654b91ba3ab.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Go back and look at the lateral.  It was over Knox's head, ready or not.  And even if he caught it, no chance he would have gotten by several of the defenders who had quickly converged to that sideline.  Zero chance he gets by them.  5 defenders there immediately

That was a bad play, but you see Knox drop back and make eye contact with Josh, so it was on their minds...Josh just didn't get it out of his mind as he was spinning and went down.  

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I mean anyone that thinks this was anything other but a good throw and bad play by Brown needs to watch more football.  Plenty of room here. If I wasn’t on my phone I’d post the replay as well. Brown was complete garbage on this play...

JB.thumb.jpg.44a68aca9885c5c51f0fd654b91ba3ab.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1