Should season ticket holders protest?

2 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Actually there is, and it’s a safety....

“If a player of the team which intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball commits a live-ball foul in the end zone, it is a safety. If a player who intercepts, catches, or recovers the ball throws a completed illegal forward pass from the end zone, the ball remains alive.“

What is the number of that rule?  If a player intercepts a pass in the endzone, his teammate pushes someone in the back, and the intercepting player doesn’t leave the endzone, I don’t believe it would be a safety.  Never seen it happen, though.  I’d like to see the rest of the verbiage from your quote.

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Bump

bump bump bump

CBS Sports says it has happened multiple times this year.  I have no reason to doubt it.  Still doesn't matter much to me since I'm not interested in how many times it was called incorrectly before Saturday.  I'm more interested in what happened on Saturday between the time a semi-correct call was made on the field at the time of the play and everything that happened afterward which abandoned established protocol and gave referees the power to interject "common sense" which apparently is contrary to known rules. 

Makes you think about the constitution of the competition committee and their relationship with the officials.  Seems contentious at best.  

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Bump

No sense waiting, it’s futile. What happened Saturday was unprecedented. And it will never happen again. Look for the safe signal in the endzone to be adopted as a new dead ball rule. 

Just now, Jauronimo said:

bump bump bump

CBS Sports says it has happened multiple times this year.  I have no reason to doubt it.  Still doesn't matter much to me since I'm not interested in how many times it was called incorrectly before Saturday.  I'm more interested in what happened on Saturday between the time a semi-correct call was made on the field at the time of the play and everything that happened afterward which abandoned established protocol and gave referees the power to interject "common sense" which apparently is contrary to known rules. 

Makes you think about the constitution of the competition committee and their relationship with the officials.  Seems contentious at best.  

Wait, what? CBS is saying that multiple touchdowns by kickoff coverage teams have been scored in the same fashion we saw Saturday?

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

bump bump bump

I honestly cannot think of another time. Maybe there have been and I just missed them. As you say, what followed immediately after is the real issue. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

No sense waiting, it’s futile. What happened Saturday was unprecedented. And it will never happen again. Look for the safe signal in the endzone to be adopted as a new dead ball rule. 

I doubt it. Too similar to the poison call on punt return

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

What is the number of that rule?  If a player intercepts a pass in the endzone, his teammate pushes someone in the back, and the intercepting player doesn’t leave the endzone, I don’t believe it would be a safety.  Never seen it happen, though.  I’d like to see the rest of the verbiage from your quote.

Section “8” The forward pass A.R 8.5 An illegal forward pass in end zone result is a safety, previously it is stated that a forward pass can not be made after a change in possession. 

Edited by Meatloaf63

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I take no consolation in a rule change as soon as the super bowl is over.  I have zero doubt they will immediately shore up the kickoff rule and blindside block rule and we will still be looking for our first playoff win in 26 years.

Why have a rule book if its so obviously based in silliness that referees can disregard written regulations and hand down common sense rulings after 2 minutes of deliberation?  That officiating crew undermined the integrity of the game.  They went wildly off the reservation and the precedent set is irresponsible at best. 

I must be a moron because I'm one of the 3 crazy #######s who cares that officials now have the power to disregard rules and make calls based on what they think was supposed to happen.  Nothing can go wrong there.  Its not like officials have a problem consistently and appropriately administering the rules they actually choose to observe.  Nope, nothing to see here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

In the end we know nothing changes from this discussion. But the question I really would like to see answered is why did the NFL officials on the sideline that rushed into the field, tell the crew to reverse a correct call? That’s really a big deal and what’s being glossed over by all the common sense people.  Those who say the NFL doesn’t have its own agenda I’m sure will have all the excuses for this action, but it’s pretty bold, if all of the sports news people and executives would call them out, I would like to see Rodger have to answer for this. Of course it will never happen, it’s already swept under the rug and we are on to the next round...

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I take no consolation in a rule change as soon as the super bowl is over.  I have zero doubt they will immediately shore up the kickoff rule and blindside block rule and we will still be looking for our first playoff win in 26 years.

Why have a rule book if its so obviously based in silliness that referees can disregard written regulations and hand down common sense rulings after 2 minutes of deliberation?  That officiating crew undermined the integrity of the game.  They went wildly off the reservation and the precedent set is irresponsible at best. 

I must be a moron because I'm one of the 3 crazy #######s who cares that officials now have the power to disregard rules and make calls based on what they think was supposed to happen.  Nothing can go wrong there.  Its not like officials have a problem consistently and appropriately administering the rules they actually choose to observe.  Nope, nothing to see here.

source.gif

'Let's rule this a touchdown, as common sense clearly indicates his intent to cross the goal line with the ball'

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Wait, what? CBS is saying that multiple touchdowns by kickoff coverage teams have been scored in the same fashion we saw Saturday?

No, they are saying multiple kick returners have acted like Carter this year with impunity.  As in caught the ball but failed to signal for a fair catch, failed to take a knee, and then tossed the ball to the referee.....now heres the important part.....the referee then INAPPROPRIATELY caught the ball and INCORRECTLY blew the play dead in all of those instances.  THAT is the difference.  

The very BEST defense I have seen of the travesty we are discussing is that it has been called INCORRECTLY all year and therefore the referee was more correct in being consistently with a piss poor application of established rules.  And for reasons inexplicable to me, that resonates with a lot of football fans.  

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Theres no such thing as a free lunch, or a free td. This touchdown everybody is upset about is about as cheap of a touchdown as they come. Im not upset about this touchdown. Play football, and win the game that way. The guy was just handing the ball to the ref.

What can the fans do?  Stop watching garbage NFL football! 

The problem is most are addicted to it and we are willing to put up with all the garbage because it's a very entertaining sport.

Eventually you have to come to accept that the NFL is garbage, but it is what it is and we have to pretty much accept it for what it is.

If you aren't prepared to do that, stop watching!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wagon127 said:

Theres no such thing as a free lunch, or a free td. This touchdown everybody is upset about is about as cheap of a touchdown as they come. Im not upset about this touchdown. Play football, and win the game that way. The guy was just handing the ball to the ref.

What other rules would you like to ignore?  Having a team moved out of field goal position on a blind side block that wasn’t a blind side block In reality  is that ok? Ignoring the play clock that allows a drive continue for the game winning points is that ok? Just want to know where your line is???

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

So, common sense has no place in rules interpretation? Can’t disagree more. The returner gave himself up and that was obvious, regardless of the technicality involved.

NFL refs get so much wrong during the course of a season and it’s by far the worst officiated sport in the world, but every once in a while they get it right. 

Not following the rules as written is getting “ it right”?

It’s the rule!!!!!  ZERO grey area. 
Players do stupid, inexplicable stuff and their team pays for it.

Good god, let it go. If that was Roberts that did that there is no way you would be fine with the refs awarding a TD to Texans.

So sick and tired of the officiating comments on this board. Half of the posters don't even know the rules or how they are applied. 

I thought the fix was in for the Patriots? They didn't make it out of the first round. Who does the NFL want to win now? Please declare it before the games this weekend.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Good god, let it go. If that was Roberts that did that there is no way you would be fine with the refs awarding a TD to Texans.

So sick and tired of the officiating comments on this board. Half of the posters don't even know the rules or how they are applied. 

I thought the fix was in for the Patriots? They didn't make it out of the first round. Who does the NFL want to win now? Please declare it before the games this weekend.

Roberts didn't do it because he knows the 3 effing rules which he needs to know.  

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

Because common sense needed to prevail in that situation. Yes, the Houston player only did one of the two acts required to indicate his intentions and yes, technically the ref made the right call initially. But the returner made NO attempt to catch and return the ball. It was CLEAR what his intention was, which is why common sense needed to prevail. They got it right through consultation. 

My barometer has always been, how would I feel if they called it against my team. And I would have been apoplectic if that call were made against us. 

It was obvious to everyone that Mike Gillislie had no intention of returning the kickoff that just laid in the endzone while he stayed away from it; the td was awarded to the Jets anyway, weird huh? Were you apoplectic then?

Curious, what was the one of two things required that the Texans returner did? I didn't see a fair catch or a kneel down, either one of which would have been all that is required.

Edited by Turk71

Just now, High Football IQ said:

Not sure a protest is needed but please stop showing up to the airport every time this team wins (and especially loses) a game because it's simply played out and it's actually sad people supported this team after such a horrendous loss in the playoffs that is probably worst than the music city miracle all things considered.

You should go back to making racist comments in the comments section of the Buffalo News.  You're not ready to troll these boards, kid.

41 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

What other rules would you like to ignore?  Having a team moved out of field goal position on a blind side block that wasn’t a blind side block In reality  is that ok? Ignoring the play clock that allows a drive continue for the game winning points is that ok? Just want to know where your line is???

Those are actual football things that the refs screwed up. Bills defense saw the play clock at zero, and lost a step. The blind side block, took a tough fought gain away from the bills. The entire sequence of the 2nd half kickoff is entirely stupid, id prefer my team score real touchdowns. 

51 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Whether it makes sense or not, what’s in writing is the final word. I go back to my banking days, or contract law in college and a real estate career. Whatever it says in black and white is the deciding factor. It might be badly worded, and maybe even missed the intent, but that doesn’t matter. You can fix it for next time. THIS time, the rule is the rule. What we “meant” or what the perceived intent was could not be more irrelevant. 

Having said all that, it’s over. I just hope it brings greater resolve and our team takes a big step up next year after a great offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wagon127 said:

Those are actual football things that the refs screwed up. Bills defense saw the play clock at zero, and lost a step. The blind side block, took a tough fought gain away from the bills. The entire sequence of the 2nd half kickoff is entirely stupid, id prefer my team score real touchdowns. 

I do not care at all how you would prefer to score or how comfortable you are winning by a TD scored by a correct interpretation of the rules.  I don't care if we play the 16 games against the 2019 Bengals if we win the super bowl.

I swear most of you won't be happy unless we go 19-0 winning by 30 every game and decline every penalty called in our favor.

• Like (+1) 1