2018 QB Redraft. - PFF Says Allen should have went as the 4th QB

MAJBobby

Lamar is best now,  but eventually Allen will be best of this class. He has the toughest body and mentality among them all.

Baker had no 1 playoff game  but he is diva star already. It's hard to develop with such approach.

Darnold is afraid of ghosts.

Rosen is backup journeyman. 

Rudolph's season highlights include 2 plays - he is KOd by helmet to helmet, and beaten by helmet to skull

Lamar is the only true star now. But his style predecessors Vick, Kaepernick, RG3 - all had flashy seasons but not for a long time.

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-re-drafting-the-2018-quarterback-class

4. JOSH ALLEN

Unlike some others on this list, Allen has seen his arrow point decidedly upward from year one to year two, and he's deservedly moved up our rankings over the past two seasons. His underneath and intermediate accuracy has seen a considerable bump year on year. Only 7.9% of his passes that were targeted 1-19 yards downfield were charted as perfectly placed last season, but this year, that number is 20.4% — higher than anyone else in the 2018 quarterback class. His accuracy, combined with his playmaking ability with his legs, has been a massive value-add to the Bills' offense — especially in the red zone.

The worrisome thing is that Allen has still never been able to truly open up the offense as a passer. In 26 career starts, he’s never had a single 300-yard passing game. A big reason why is the lack of big plays, as his deep-ball accuracy has been all over the place this season. Despite his improved play, Allen has fewer big-time throws this year (13) than he did even a year ago (17), and the former ranks 26th among all quarterbacks in the NFL this year. He’s only completed 26.9% of his targets 20-plus yards downfield — the fourth-worst in the NFL — and that’s the opposite of what you’d expect for a player with that kind of arm strength.

a narrative they will cling to until the bitter end.  

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That's where I'm at, mostly.

Young kid, IMPROVING kid.

And yet, there's MASSIVE hostility among fans toward him.

Even if a fan doesn’t think Allen is the guy, why the hostility? 

Someone has to agree with you to not be attacked?

And I don’t disagree with you opinion of Allen just the way you debate your position. Just don’t see the point of attacking people who haven’t attacked you or who have a different take than you.

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

a narrative they will cling to until the bitter end.  

It's interesting, isn't it. Why are they so attached to their initial opinion?

Josh Allen is the domino that exposes NFL advanced stats. I'm not saying that advanced stats are a fraud, far from it. Just that we are in such an early stage of knowledge about advanced statistics, all these guys popping up that think they're smart and trying to make money off the gold rush, have barely scratched the surface of what's possible.

That's how I know PFF won't last. Instead of trying to figure out where they went wrong, they're clinging to their original formulas. Big mistake. Case study of what not to do. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

It's interesting, isn't it. Why are they so attached to their initial opinion?

Josh Allen is the domino that exposes NFL advanced stats. I'm not saying that advanced stats are a fraud, far from it. Just that we are in such an early stage of knowledge about advanced statistics, all these guys popping up that think they're smart and trying to make money off the gold rush, have barely scratched the surface of what's possible.

That's how I know PFF won't last. Instead of trying to figure out where they went wrong, they're clinging to their original formulas. Big mistake. Case study of what not to do. 

As soon as you start defending your predictive analytics it begins to look a lot like more like an opinion and a bunch of smoke and mirrors. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He did take a long time to get plays to the huddle but his offense was good. Funny how we scored 30 something points that game and the defense gave up more so we fired the OC.

He was Rex’s scapegoat.

I still have many lingering doubts about Allen, but his upside is far greater than Darnold or Mayfield. I'd take him second behind Jackson.

Lamar Jackson is an amazing player, but I'm not entirely sure his style of play is sustainable LONG LONG term. We shall see.

It's possible this class goes down as the most overrated of all time. Only Allen can change that IMO because I don't see great things from Darnold/Mayfield/Rosen. I'd prefer to see Josh emerge into the company of Mahomes, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson etc. than compare him to this particular class.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Ahhhhh the good ol' PFF and their who gets me the most points in fantasy football instead of who is actually better.

What doesn't show up in fantasy is W/L record.

Lamar - 19-3

Allen - 15-11

Mayfield - 12-16

Darnold 10-15

Rosen - 3-13

So shockingly, the one player they picked to draft first is the best but the rest are still sub 500 other than Allen.  I honestly love their agenda against him. 

11 hours ago, egd said:

Well, they're right. Would anyone draft Allen now with Jackson still on the board? I didn't think so.

Yes, I would take Allen still before Lamar, and I do like Lamar.  I just think Allen will have the better career when it’s all said and done.

Lamar has been fun to watch, and happy for his success as I liked him coming out too. 

But, I feel like the NFL will catch up with Romans system and Lamars game.  And while he can still have a good career, I just think Allen has a higher ceiling as a QB overall.