MIchael Irvin schools Schopp on the importance of culture

1 hour ago, ogham26 said:

at the time im not sure that's a crazy take.  The browns were set up for success and so far they butchered the potential they had.  Could have had barkley and any of the QBS in that draft.  Imagine barkley and lamar.  hindsight tho

If Cleveland have drafted Lamar he would end up being a backup somewhere BEFORE his rookie contract expires 

Man, the thing that gets me about Schopp is his tone of voice. Such jadedness and condescension. People used to blame the sports teams for Schopp's attitude, but now that the Bills are winning he still has it. I mean you're talking to a great, championship-winning WR. Issues or not, this man has experience and wisdom that few people have. You can be sophomoric about it and claim that only idiots can learn from Irvin, but I'd argue the idiots are those that have that opinion. I swear some of the people here would've told Bobby Fischer to shut up about his chess opinions because he went kooky later in life. 

What's Schopp really about? Because he's not about winning, at least not to me. Is it because they're not winning the way he wants them to win? Would he be happier if they did things the way he prefers and finished 8-8? I'm seriously asking. Maybe I'm wrong, but he seems to be about proving that he's smarter than everybody. Was this a defense mechanism many fans took on to deal with the drought?  Follow the advanced stats unicorn. 

So why do so many Bills fans like him? Are they attracted to the negativity? Do they vibe with his smarter-than-thou attitude? Is that a sign of the times? I just hope that as the fan's wounds heal from so much losing, they'll start being repelled by the Schopp's of the world. Because I'll be honest, I think his sports opinions are vanilla hipster. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

?? @BADOLBILZ gets it. Do you have any recollection of the Cowboys “culture”? Tuinei and his little heroin habit? Erik Williams plowing his car into a wall at 100 mph? Leon Lett doing crazy Leon Lett stuff a few times a year? Charles Haley being a borderline psychopath? Irvin with his hookers and vibrators and coke? 

Anyway, I can assure you that Badol knows that Jimmy’s culture worked. 

No he doesn’t.  

And did you even read what I typed?   

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

No he doesn’t.  

And did you even read what I typed?   

I agree with you. I think the concept is above his head. I've been reading him in some other threads. Low-information poster.

It's condescending, but it's the truth. 

10 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

I agree with you. I think the concept is above his head. I've been reading him in some other threads. Low-information poster.

It's condescending, but it's the truth. 

There is an old guard on this board where there are a circle of posters who all pat each other on the back and believe themselves to be “experts”,  they are no such thing.  They have been wrong about their football analysis time and time again.

Edited by Magox

1 minute ago, Magox said:

Let me tell you, there is an old guard on this board where there are a circle of posters who all pat each other on the back and believe themselves to be “experts”,  they are no such thing.  They have been wrong about their football analysis time in and time out.

I thought about deleting my post because it was so harsh, but then I figured it was karma.

Irvin goes on the radio and says beautiful, beautiful and truthful things about our team. Better than anything Schopp has said in years of being on the radio. And then "fans" jump in with pretty much "nothing Irvin says the rest of his life matters, because he used to be a c*kehead". Like....what? What is this bizarro world I'm in?

So I figure they deserve some negativity their way. 

6 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Man, the thing that gets me about Schopp is his tone of voice. Such jadedness and condescension. People used to blame the sports teams for Schopp's attitude, but now that the Bills are winning he still has it. I mean you're talking to a great, championship-winning WR. Issues or not, this man has experience and wisdom that few people have. You can be sophomoric about it and claim that only idiots can learn from Irvin, but I'd argue the idiots are those that have that opinion. I swear some of the people here would've told Bobby Fischer to shut up about his chess opinions because he went kooky later in life. 

What's Schopp really about? Because he's not about winning, at least not to me. Is it because they're not winning the way he wants them to win? Would he be happier if they did things the way he prefers and finished 8-8? I'm seriously asking. Maybe I'm wrong, but he seems to be about proving that he's smarter than everybody. Was this a defense mechanism many fans took on to deal with the drought?  Follow the advanced stats unicorn. 

So why do so many Bills fans like him? Are they attracted to the negativity? Do they vibe with his smarter-than-thou attitude? Is that a sign of the times? I just hope that as the fan's wounds heal from so much losing, they'll start being repelled by the Schopp's of the world. Because I'll be honest, I think his sports opinions are vanilla hipster. 

I don't listen a lot but one thing I will say about Schopp.........whatever he says is better to listen to than Bulldog or Tasker breathing thru congestion into the microphone and slurping their own spit and sucking their teeth thru whatever take.    It's pretty disgusting.  

When you call in can you ask them to press the mute button and clear their mouths once in a while?

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'm totally NOT shocked by that response from BADOL.

He's JUST the kind of guy who loves schopp

And you’re just the kind of guy who starts a new thread to call Schoop a “douche” for suggesting we aren’t sure which of Allen or Jackson is the better passer. I’d say the jury is still out but it’s not looking good. 

Where’d that thread go by the way?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

?? @BADOLBILZ gets it. Do you have any recollection of the Cowboys “culture”? Tuinei and his little heroin habit? Erik Williams plowing his car into a wall at 100 mph? Leon Lett doing crazy Leon Lett stuff a few times a year? Charles Haley being a borderline psychopath? Irvin with his hookers and vibrators and coke? 

Charles Haley used to jerk it in front of unsuspecting teammates in the locker room. 

How bout them Cowboys!

Edited by stony
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

So why do so many Bills fans like him? Are they attracted to the negativity? Do they vibe with his smarter-than-thou attitude? Is that a sign of the times? 

When it comes to radio or entertainment, it makes absolutely no difference whether you love or hate the host/entertainer. The only thing that matters is that you listen.

Have never heard his show, but based on what I've read on this board, fans listen to get worked up. Again, doesn't matter as long as you're listening.

Edited by LSHMEAB

54 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

When it comes to radio or entertainment, it makes absolutely no difference whether you love or hate the host/entertainer. The only thing that matters is that you listen.

Have never heard his show, but based on what I've read on this board, fans listen to get worked up. Again, doesn't matter as long as you're listening.

I agree that some fans get worked up. But fans also don't really have a choice. It's Schopp or the crap on Kiss 98.5. 

There are plenty of people that like him or don't mind him. Those are the people I don't get. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I did, and more than once. Did you know that Badolbilz has been a hardcore (and deeply knolwedgeable)  Canes fan since the 80s? He knows all about Jimmy culture, and he knows it works.

No offense.   But a testimonial doesn’t mean much to me.  Specially when I have seen plenty of people’s body of work to form my own opinion.

And everything you cited was conduct outside the football field.   Which is exactly why I said that “culture” isn’t just about being a Boy Scout.

All those guys you mentioned were competitors and they brought it every single day.

Edited by Magox

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I feel like this board doesn’t understand the difference between culture and character. Someday the Bills are going to sign a guy who isn’t a great person but who can absolutely ball. And you know what, McBeane won’t do a thing if they fit into the locker room.

Guys can be of questionable character and still be great teammates/team first guys.

Hell, Irvin is getting roasted for coke and hookers. You really think those early 90’s Bills team weren’t doing the same thing? The stories are out there. Personal character of one player =\= team culture.

Edited by eanyills
  • Like (+1) 1