Former Bill Tom Flores has been chosen as a finalist for the Hall of Fame

class_of_2012

He was nominated for the Centennial class as a coach, but he played for the Bills as a QB in the late 60's. He is only one of two [not three, like I originally posted] people to have won a SB as a player, assistant coach, and head coach. Enshrinees will be selected January 8. Let's go Tom!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28335154/bill-cowher-jimmy-johnson-38-finalists-pro-football-hall-fame-centennial-class

Edited by class_of_2012
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Ditka and who else?

Thomas Raymond Flores is an American former professional football coach and player. He and Mike Ditka are the only two people in National Football League history to win a Super Bowl as a player, assistant coach, and head coach.

Career history
As player:
As coach:
Career highlights and awards
As Player
As Coach
Career NFL statistics
TDINT: 93–92
Passing yards: 11,959
Passer rating: 67.6

Head coaching record
Regular season: 97–87 (.527)
Postseason: 8–3 (.727)
Career: 105–90 (.538)
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Flores and Plunkett ?...should they be in?......both we're accomplished, but I've often wondered in this day and age of "political correctness" why Tom (Hispanic) or Jim (Native American) have not been brought up more frequently......

or their accomplishments?

i assume Eli gets in with his 2 SB wins.... but that's another matter down the road

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Flores and Plunkett ?...should they be in?......both we're accomplished, but I've often wondered in this day and age of "political correctness" why Tom (Hispanic) or Jim (Native American) have not been brought up more frequently......

Plunkett is both Hispanic and Native American.  His father's middle name was Guiterrez.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

LOL plunkett? He was one of the worst QBs to ever win a Super Bowl, he had the good fortune of playing on a really talented Raiders team. Plunkett is in no way shape or form a Hall of Famer, technically Plunkett was a draft bust before landing on the raiders and the only reason anyone remembers plunkett is because he took over an injured Dan Pasterini. 

Edited by BuffaloBills1998
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

LOL plunkett? He was one of the worst QBs to ever win a Super Bowl, he had the good fortune of playing on a really talented Raiders team. Plunkett is in no way shape or form a Hall of Famer, technically Plunkett was a draft bust before landing on the raiders and the only reason anyone remembers plunkett is because he took over an injured Dan Pasterini. 

Dont disagree, but the HoF is a weird place.   Joe Namath was probably just as bad, if not worse.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Dont disagree, but the HoF is a weird place.   Joe Namath was probably just as bad, if not worse.

Namath had leadership skills and toughness. And he helped change the game by being the first QB in NFL history to throw for 4,000 yards, something that was unheard of back in those days especially when it was all about running the ball and playing defense, that’s why Joe made the HOF. Plunkett was never really a leader by any means and wasn’t at all accurate when he threw the football

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, class_of_2012 said:

He was nominated for the Centennial class as a coach, but he played for the Bills as a QB in the late 60's. He is only one of three people to have won a SB as a player, assistant coach, and head coach. Enshrinees will be selected January 8. Let's go Tom!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28335154/bill-cowher-jimmy-johnson-38-finalists-pro-football-hall-fame-centennial-class

Sorry, but the trade we made to get Flores cost us Daryle Lamonica and gave the Raiders a QB to go to the Super Bowl with.

Flores never did anything for us AND cost us Lamonica.

Not interested in joining the cheering squad on this one.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Namath had leadership skills and toughness. And he helped change the game by being the first QB in NFL history to throw for 4,000 yards, something that was unheard of back in those days especially when it was all about running the ball and playing defense, that’s why Joe made the HOF. Plunkett was never really a leader by any means and wasn’t at all accurate when he threw the football

I honestly cant speak on it much as I never saw either of them play, just able to look at stats.  However, Plunkett has a higher career completion percentage, and Joe only had one season where he threw for more touchdowns than ints. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I honestly cant speak on it much as I never saw either of them play, just able to look at stats.  However, Plunkett has a higher career completion percentage, and Joe only had one season where he threw for more touchdowns than ints. 

Plunkett Never had the swag that Namath had. Plus unlike Plunkett, Namath never got benched multiple times especially after winning the Super Bowl. Plunkett just got lucky at landing on the right team at the right time. If Pastorini had never gotten hurt no one would know or remember who Jim Plunkett was

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Sorry, but the trade we made to get Flores cost us Daryle Lamonica and gave the Raiders a QB to go to the Super Bowl with.

Flores never did anything for us AND cost us Lamonica.

Not interested in joining the cheering squad on this one.

Worst trade in team history?

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Plunkett Never had the swag that Namath had. Plus unlike Plunkett, Namath never got benched multiple times especially after winning the Super Bowl. Plunkett just got lucky at landing on the right team at the right time. If Pastorini had never gotten hurt no one would know or remember who Jim Plunkett was

With a small exception or two, I have to agree. Plunkett was a lucky bum. But he was a gutty sucker.  He was like a lineman, in the body of a fullback, playing QB. HOF? Seriously? And I REALLY like Jim Plunkett--well, my image of him anyway.

Nameth's stats, overall, don't look Hall of Fame-ish, but he was on the forefront of changing the game. Historic Super Bowl win. I'm not a guy who worships at the house of Broadway Joe, but no question he belongs.

I'm completely clueless and unqualified to judge Flores' HOF qualifications as a coach. But no way in the world his stint as a player helps much, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

how old are you??

• Like (+1) 1